Flying whilst pregnant.

aussiejen

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone.

We have booked our trip to DL in January 2018 , i have just foundout im pregnant.
Has anyone else flew & done the parks whilst about 6mths pregnant?
im a little worried how i will cope. But that is the only time we can travel.

I've flown a lot of time pregnant, at different stages of pregnancy up until 35ish weeks with all my kids. Some of them were short trips, others long haul flights. You should be fine but just talk to your doctor about your travel plans and double check your airlines policy, some request a dr. note at a certain point, though not usually until 32ish weeks. At the point you are looking to travel you should be fine as long as you don't develop any complications.

I have done Disneyland twice while pregnant. Once was in the late first trimester and I was pretty miserable. I had a fairly bad case of morning sickness and was exhausted all the time. I powered through as best I could and spent a little more time at the hotel sleeping. My husband took our daughter to the parks for some father/daughter time and I just met up with them as i could. Not the best trip ever, but I have no regrets on going. The second time I was about 26 weeks weeks and I had a great time. I was well past morning sickness and not at that point that I was too uncomfortable. I had a little swelling in my feet at the end of the day so I did try to put my feet up for awhile when we got back to the hotel but other than avoiding a few rides it was business as usual.

Hi! I was in the park for 5 days with my DH and 2.5yo while 6mo pregnant last fall.

Our flight was about 3 hours so it wasn't much of a worry - although my doctor advised standing up and moving more than I normally would.

As for the parks, I just made sure I ate before I got starving (which was one of my triggers to feel sick), I sat down when possible, and allowed myself to accept assistance or generosity when I needed it. I think I only really needed it when we were waiting for a parade. I started feeling queasy and someone let me have their spot on the curb until the parade started. I also allowed our toddler to watch videos or play on my phone when she was melting down and wanted to be carried because I knew I couldn't carry her and media is her bargaining chip.

You will have a great time as long as you take care of yourself!

Thanks, my flight is 14hrs :guilty: & Iwill be about 26 weeks when im there....i will just have to buy some very comfy shoes.......Im still so excited about coming ! i will just have to learn to rest more....and slow down bcos i am a very fast walker lol
I also have a10mth old who will be 15mths when we travel...and were staying a HOJOS which isnt far to walk from the parks.....well i hope not for me lol im just oping my feet behave & dont swell.

Last edited:

I'd be a little worried. Not about comfort. But about the baby. Stress of travel on the baby. A friend swears it was her travel that gave her pre-e and she had a preemie. No problems at all in the pregnancy.

Also, what if you're in bed rest. I'd definitely get travel insurance and that it would cover that cancellation. Don't prepay your hotel. Then they're easy to cancel for free.

Sorry-not trying to be negative nelly. I have a trip in march and I have to wait a week to find out if an accident we had this month created a sweet little baby to mess up my travel plans.:confused3

I'd be a little worried. Not about comfort. But about the baby. Stress of travel on the baby. A friend swears it was her travel that gave her pre-e and she had a preemie. No problems at all in the pregnancy.

Also, what if you're in bed rest. I'd definitely get travel insurance and that it would cover that cancellation. Don't prepay your hotel. Then they're easy to cancel for free.

Sorry-not trying to be negative nelly. I have a trip in march and I have to wait a week to find out if an accident we had this month created a sweet little baby to mess up my travel plans.:confused3
I don't think you're being that negative because DVT on long haul flights is a real concern, and pregnancy increases the likelihood. I'd consult an OB immediately and again a few weeks before the trip. One thing about insurance though, make sure you research pre-existing condition coverage, since that now applies.

14 hours is a long flight. I did 13 hours at 32 weeks. Mostly it was pretty tolerable, I did have an aisle seats and got up several times through out the flight to walk/stand/stretch. My feet did swell on the flight and for about 24 hours afterward. I actually had to grab flip flops out of my bag while waiting in customs to board another short flight because I took my shoes off on the flight and then couldn't get them back on all the way. It was my first pregnancy and while I didn't have a lot of swelling otherwise, the flight was a killer. I was about 28 weeks in my next pregnancy when we moved back, but it was a single direct flight and that time I did not swell as bad, thankfully. In addition to moving around, wear compression stockings and drink plenty of water (and of course, talk to your doctor about specific recommendations).

The first time I ever went to DL was in my mom's belly. I have the picture to prove it. But I don't remember one tuing about it :(

No your not being negative, just truthful :thumbsup2 I have started eating healthier & walking so i am fit enough to travel....

14 hours is a long flight. I did 13 hours at 32 weeks. Mostly it was pretty tolerable, I did have an aisle seats and got up several times through out the flight to walk/stand/stretch. My feet did swell on the flight and for about 24 hours afterward. I actually had to grab flip flops out of my bag while waiting in customs to board another short flight because I took my shoes off on the flight and then couldn't get them back on all the way. It was my first pregnancy and while I didn't have a lot of swelling otherwise, the flight was a killer. I was about 28 weeks in my next pregnancy when we moved back, but it was a single direct flight and that time I did not swell as bad, thankfully. In addition to moving around, wear compression stockings and drink plenty of water (and of course, talk to your doctor about specific recommendations).

I am planning on asking for an aisle seat, i am planning on buy compression stockings so the swelling isnt as bad ....if any.

I don't think you're being that negative because DVT on long haul flights is a real concern, and pregnancy increases the likelihood. I'd consult an OB immediately and again a few weeks before the trip. One thing about insurance though, make sure you research pre-existing condition coverage, since that now applies.

I am about to look into travel insurance now..... thank you

The first time I ever went to DL was in my mom's belly. I have the picture to prove it. But I don't remember one tuing about it :(

hmmmm you should remember something lol :rotfl:

I did one trip when I was 28 weeks with our second. Our flight was only 4-5 hours, but I recommend an aisle seat, drinking lots of water, and getting up to walk the aisle multiple times. Also trip insurance, I developed Pre-E towards the end and wouldn't have been able to travel past 33 or so weeks that pregnancy. Also if you can swing it, get a seat for your baby, it can get a little cozy in an airline seat when pregnant.

Also get comfortable, and possibly ugly, shoes lol. Be prepared to sleep more than you think you will and I'd plan longer meals to give you time to sit and relax.

I am about to look into travel insurance now..... thank you

I would check into this very, very thoroughly. This would be my main concern - looks like you are flying from Australia, and you don't want a bill like that for care while in the US. The insurance company wouldn't either so I would make absolutely sure of your coverage. :goodvibes

I would check into this very, very thoroughly. This would be my main concern - looks like you are flying from Australia, and you don't want a bill like that for care while in the US. The insurance company wouldn't either so I would make absolutely sure of your coverage. :goodvibes

I found travel insurance for up to 32weeks pregnant & unlimited cover ( there are restrictions obviously) but it covers the main things - hospital stay, doctors & complications due to the pregnancy only- if anything were to happen.
so now i can relax a little & look forward to the trip....:dumbo::smickey:

Hi, Congrats!

Two years ago, I flew (1 hour 20 minute flight) 26 weeks pregnant. I also did 2 days in the parks. I rested more than usual, made sure to drink a lot of water and was fine. I did wear a "belly binder", which helped tremendously!

I am an old granny, so I come from a different perspective. If you were not traveling so far from home, I would say no problem. But you will be a long way from home and will have a long travel time.
So I guess I would simply ask, Is the anticipated fun worth the risk?

I flew cross county (6 hour direct) when I was 6 months pregnant and was miserable. Couldn't get comfortable, swelled and had hard time with temperature control, stuffiness of plane. IMHO flying for 14 hours with a toddler and pregnant just doesn't sound fun or safe. Save up for another year and come then.

Good luck and congratulations on the new baby!!

As long as your ob or midwife feel as though it is fine, I would not be too concerned about the flights. I flew from the west coast of Canada to Cape Town, South Africa when I was around 14 weeks pregnant. While I was not as far along as you are going to be, the trip was almost 36 hours. Just make sure you get up and walk around as much as possible and stay hydrated. Actually, that last bit of advice is good for Disneyland as well!

Definitely get up too early as much as possible during the flight - also flex your feet to keep blood pumping. I have varicose veins, so even the 5 hour flight to LA concerns me and I'm continually flexing my feet (like pressing the accelerator in a car) and I move when i can. I can also take aspirin prior to flying. I don't think you can take that but maybe speak with your doctor they may have some suggestions.

Thanks, my flight is 14hrs :guilty: & Iwill be about 26 weeks when im there....i will just have to buy some very comfy shoes.......Im still so excited about coming ! i will just have to learn to rest more....and slow down bcos i am a very fast walker lol
I also have a10mth old who will be 15mths when we travel...and were staying a HOJOS which isnt far to walk from the parks.....well i hope not for me lol im just oping my feet behave & dont swell.

I travelled around the world including Disneyland between 23-26 weeks pregnant

My feet were very swollen but it only lasted a couple of days I found walking in the garden pool at hojos very helpful with swelling

I did a lot of people watching while my husband rode what I
Couldn't I still had a super enjoyable experience

I travelled around the world including Disneyland between 23-26 weeks pregnant

My feet were very swollen but it only lasted a couple of days I found walking in the garden pool at hojos very helpful with swelling

I did a lot of people watching while my husband rode what I
Couldn't I still had a super enjoyable experience

I know i wont be able to ride most of the rides but i will have a 1 yr old with me anyway so i wouldnt have been riding them anyway which im fine with because DH & my old 2 can ride the bigger rides together.
My feet dont normally swell until the 3 trimester so im hoping it will be them for this pregnancy.

Definitely get up too early as much as possible during the flight - also flex your feet to keep blood pumping. I have varicose veins, so even the 5 hour flight to LA concerns me and I'm continually flexing my feet (like pressing the accelerator in a car) and I move when i can. I can also take aspirin prior to flying. I don't think you can take that but maybe speak with your doctor they may have some suggestions

lol i was probably going to move about alot with my 1 yr old i presume on the flight...the only thing that concerns me is will i fit in the seat :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter