"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

We either drive directly from Central Arkansas (just under 2000 miles) or from Central Arkansas via our 2nd home in New Orleans (2200 miles). Reading these posts I realize how lucky we are that traffic is pretty much a non-issue. Tallahassee is the largest city that we drive thru.

We've learned to check out alternate routes from Google maps often taking non Interstate highways for a few miles to avoid Atlanta, Memphis or even Jackson, MS. We like to stop at small local restaurants and often find some real gems off the beaten track.

We leave shoreline CT around 3- 3:30 am and take the inland route. Much less stress than 95. Dvczerfs gave me the route years ago and we really like it much better.

What's that route? How long did it take you? Thinking that we might want to try off 95 this year.

What's that route? How long did it take you? Thinking that we might want to try off 95 this year.

This is the basic route. You can get a AAA triptik that gives you the specifics.

95 south

Exit 21 to Tappan Zee bridge/white plains

merge onto 287 west

Exit 15 onto 287

Exit 21B onto 78 west

merge onto 81 south

Exit 81 merge onto 77 south

keep left at fork- 26 east

exit 169A onto 95 south.

I think we've driven at least 8 times. My husband was only able to come with us one time (no time off in the summer) so I've been the only driver with either my two girls (very young when we first went) and now with them and their friends. It's such a less stressful drive. We've only hit traffic a couple times.

ETA- It has taken us as little as 19 1/2 hours and as long as 21 but that's just driving time- not counting stopping to eat/bathroom/gas etc. Because I'm the only driver we stop for the night when I'm tired- usually 12 or 13 hours. I don't usually book a hotel ahead of time because I don't know how far we'll get. Last year I did because the year before we had trouble finding a room- but we also were a little bit off this route because we were going to visit an animal sanctuary in GA on the way down.

This is the basic route. You can get a AAA triptik that gives you the specifics.

95 south

merge onto 287 west

Exit 15 onto 287

Exit 21B onto 78 west

merge onto 81 south

exit 169A onto 95 south.

I think we've driven at least 8 times. My husband was only able to come with us one time (no time off in the summer) so I've been the only driver with either my two girls (very young when we first went) and now with them and their friends. It's such a less stressful drive. We've only hit traffic a couple times.

ETA- It has taken us as little as 19 1/2 hours and as long as 21 but that's just driving time- not counting stopping to eat/bathroom/gas etc. Because I'm the only driver we stop for the night when I'm tired- usually 12 or 13 hours. I don't usually book a hotel ahead of time because I don't know how far we'll get. Last year I did because the year before we had trouble finding a room- but we also were a little bit off this route because we were going to visit an animal sanctuary in GA on the way down.

Good luck on the route, especially the Tappan Zee Bridge crossing and the drive on 287 and 78!

All the best! :thumbsup2

Good luck on the route, especially the Tappan Zee Bridge crossing and the drive on 287 and 78!

All the best! :thumbsup2

BC- I've driven this route at least 6 or 7 times now and haven't had any problem on the bridge or 287 or 78. We leave around 3-3:30 am and get over the Tappan Zee around 5:30 so we miss the traffic. We've only hit traffic on the other routes a couple times and honestly even then it's a lot less stressful than traffic on 95. People just seem more courteous- no switching back and forth in lanes and tailgating. It's a much nicer, less stressful ride for us.

View attachment 246834
BC- I've driven this route at least 6 or 7 times now and haven't had any problem on the bridge or 287 or 78. We leave around 3-3:30 am and get over the Tappan Zee around 5:30 so we miss the traffic. We've only hit traffic on the other routes a couple times and honestly even then it's a lot less stressful than traffic on 95. People just seem more courteous- no switching back and forth in lanes and tailgating. It's a much nicer, less stressful ride for us.
Here you go goofygirl. I live real close to I78 so when you hit the Pa. State line, that's is real close to "home" on this chart. This includes gas stops, restroom stops and drive thrus. I tend to hang around 5-7 miles over the speed limit.
If your leaving on a week day, don't hit Harrisburg pa, Charlotte nc or Columbia sc at rush hours.
I'm not sure where google maps or map quest gets there info. from, maybe they push the car and not drive it.lol
Have a nice trip!!!

61 days until we drive from RI to my happy place. Kids are getting excited and tomorrow at 7 will be booking my fast passes. WOO HOOO This will be our 8th drive down. Going to leave at midnight this time and see how it goes.
We are driving from RI for the first time in Sept! Let me know how you do. We were planning to leave after midnight...thoughts??

View attachment 246834
Here you go goofygirl. I live real close to I78 so when you hit the Pa. State line, that's is real close to "home" on this chart. This includes gas stops, restroom stops and drive thrus. I tend to hang around 5-7 miles over the speed limit.
If your leaving on a week day, don't hit Harrisburg pa, Charlotte nc or Columbia sc at rush hours.
I'm not sure where google maps or map quest gets there info. from, maybe they push the car and not drive it.lol
Have a nice trip!!!

Thank you! It takes us about 3-3 1/2 hours to get to your exit (you told me to wave one time :) ) so I also don't know why mapquest etc says the inland route is so much longer.

We are driving from RI for the first time in Sept! Let me know how you do. We were planning to leave after midnight...thoughts??
We drive every year. Leave no later than 1 am and you can make it all the way down by late evening. We pretty much stick to 95 south all the way.

95 south

merge onto 287 west

Exit 15 onto 287

Exit 21B onto 78 west

merge onto 81 south

exit 169A onto 95 south.

It looks like if I do that it will be approx 21 hours versus the 20 straight on 95. But you are saying that the traffic is better.

I think you're safe leaving anytime after 6pm. We usually leave SE MA around 6:30. It is smooth sailing all the way.
Some of us are working that day and we were planning On getting a little sleep in and leaving 2-3 am. But I think I will take the advice and leave between 12-1 am instead

We've only hit traffic on the other routes a couple times and honestly even then it's a lot less stressful than traffic on 95. People just seem more courteous- no switching back and forth in lanes and tailgating. It's a much nicer, less stressful ride for us.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree about Rt 81 being less stressful and the drivers being more courteous than on Rt 95. Even if the drive is an hours longer on paper, in reality, you'd likely spend that extra hour in traffic somewhere on 95.

View attachment 246834
Have a nice trip!!!

This is the route we take. I can't wait!

Ticker check! 3 more days of school then the serious planning begins! We're only going to the parks for 3-4 days but will be staying in a timeshare for 2 weeks so lots of planning for other stuff to do. We're thinking about getting water park annual passes but I'm not sure. Also going to Daytona, maybe Cocoa Beach, and who knows where else!!

We have only done the water parks the last 3 trips. We love our time share resort and love the area. The water parks are our happy place and we still get the Disney magic at a fraction of the cost!

We have only done the water parks the last 3 trips. We love our time share resort and love the area. The water parks are our happy place and we still get the Disney magic at a fraction of the cost!

That's what we were going to do originally but my brother has cast member tickets to give us so we're going to use those. We love blizzard beach but our favorite slides are closed so I don't think we're going to go there.

That's what we were going to do originally but my brother has cast member tickets to give us so we're going to use those. We love blizzard beach but our favorite slides are closed so I don't think we're going to go there.

We are planning on Typhoon Lagoon this year. Rented a cabana!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter