"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Thoughts on my travel plan please (driving straight through): Leaving Binghamton, NY on a Friday afternoon, 5:30 PM, late October. Prefered route: 81 to Harrisburg, 15 to Frederick, 270-495-95 past DC and all the way to I-4. Couple questions: How will traffic be at DC (I'm guessing we'll arrive at the 270-495 interchange approx 10PM)? Any other traffic issues I should consider? Harrisburg? Jackonsville (should hit approx 9-10 am Sat morning? Thanks

All things remaining equal, avoiding rush hour traffic in metro areas is essential. And as one who had done a number of "straight through" drives, get plenty of rest.

All the best! :thumbsup2

All things remaining equal, avoiding rush hour traffic in metro areas is essential. And as one who had done a number of "straight through" drives, get plenty of rest.

All the best! :thumbsup2

Thanks. I'll have to push through as we have a BOG at 435 on arrival day. I'm hoping to arrive at GF by 2.

We are leaving in 4 more days. I will be a very good secretary and write down all the stops and miles we do along the way and report in on Saturday night. Kids are getting psyched.

Does anyone know a way to find out ahead of time what your tolls will be? I'm driving to from Southern Ontario to Orlando in a few weeks. We're crossing at Buffalo, then PA, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL. I'm finding it very difficult to figure out where and when I'll have to pay tolls. It seems I can look it up by state, but even then it's hard to know if I'm driving through a certain area. I'm wondering if EZpass would be a good idea just to save some time, but I need to figure out what tolls I'm paying in the states that use ezpass.

Sounds like you are going the 81 route? Then I think there are no tolls until you get to Florida(which doesn't use ezpass)

Does anyone know a way to find out ahead of time what your tolls will be? I'm driving to from Southern Ontario to Orlando in a few weeks. We're crossing at Buffalo, then PA, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL. I'm finding it very difficult to figure out where and when I'll have to pay tolls. It seems I can look it up by state, but even then it's hard to know if I'm driving through a certain area. I'm wondering if EZpass would be a good idea just to save some time, but I need to figure out what tolls I'm paying in the states that use ezpass.

We've got two round-trips from Buffalo under our belts. If you're going the fastest way from Buffalo according to Google Maps... Bridge-190-90-79-19-77-26-95-4, the only tolls are in NY and WV. They're both EZpass states.

We've got two round-trips from Buffalo under our belts. If you're going the fastest way from Buffalo according to Google Maps... Bridge-190-90-79-19-77-26-95-4, the only tolls are in NY and WV. They're both EZpass states.

That is the route we're taking. I'm reading there is a toll in PA as well on 90, or does the toll in NY cover it?

That is the route we're taking. I'm reading there is a toll in PA as well on 90, or does the toll in NY cover it?
I don't see it on Wikipedia or anywhere else; the 90 in PA is free. If you're talking about the Bing road color, I think they consider it a toll road until the first exit in PA. The New York Thruway was grandfathered in to the federal Interstate Highway System; that's why tolls are still collected there (to pay off construction bonds that were actually paid off back in the 90s, but we're getting off topic). The WV Turnpike is probably the same way. Any of the I-whatever roads that don't have tolls today are unlikely to get them in the near future, so you're safe.

Driving home to Philly we usually stop at Fayetteville Nc. We want to go Further this trip. Any suggestions where
we can stop for the night in VA

Driving home to Philly we usually stop at Fayetteville Nc. We want to go Further this trip. Any suggestions where
we can stop for the night in VA
we have stayed in Glen Allen, which is just north of Richmond. Plenty of hotels and restaurants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter