"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Jumping on board! We just decided we'll be driving for our summer trip this year. Heading down from NJ, spending 6 days in Disney then we're off on a cruise out of Miami. Guess the ride back will be a bit longer.

We actually prefer 57 through Illinois instead of 65 in Indiana. Might be worth looking at.

This especially because it's winter. Less chance of running into that lake effect snow.

We are actually staying in Schaumberg, IL. If we take 57, where do you suggest cutting back to the east? Google maps is adding 2 hours if we take 57 all the way to 24. We live in the lake effect area so are used to it, but its the others that scare me.

We are actually staying in Schaumberg, IL. If we take 57, where do you suggest cutting back to the east? Google maps is adding 2 hours if we take 57 all the way to 24. We live in the lake effect area so are used to it, but its the others that scare me.
I live in Schaumburg - it doesn't add 2 hours.
We take 57 to 24 and head east.

I live in Schaumburg - it doesn't add 2 hours.
We take 57 to 24 and head east.

Checking the itinerary, it does add a couple of hours (I actually thought it would be more than two hours).
They're not going through Nashville. They're making a side trip to Knoxville.

LBHouse, your kids will enjoy the new route from Chicago to Indianapolis. Especially the miles and miles of wind fans. Hard to describe, but something to see.

And my normal PSA for my hometown area (Cincinnati), which is a little over halfway from Chicago to Knoxville. Stop for a cheese coney or five-way at Skyline or Gold Star Chili.

Checking the itinerary, it does add a couple of hours (I actually thought it would be more than two hours).

LBHouse, your kids will enjoy the new route from Chicago to Indianapolis. Especially the miles and miles of wind fans. Hard to describe, but something to see.

And my normal PSA for my hometown area (Cincinnati), which is a little over halfway from Chicago to Knoxville. Stop for a cheese coney or five-way at Skyline or Gold Star Chili.

I must have misread the Knoxville/Nashville difference

And, yes, Mapquest or whatever will add 2 hours, but it's never the case. At least not for us. :car::car::car:

I am thinking we will go through Indy, south to Louisville and head east to Lexington from there.

Our first ever driving trip to Disney we stopped in Cincinnati and ate at Skyline. I loved it, but my wife said it had cinnamon in it and she cant eat it...Maybe I'll just have to beg her to try it again.

I am thinking we will go through Indy, south to Louisville and head east to Lexington from there.

Did not think of that option. I think that's about the same time. Make sure there's no construction crossing the Ohio River into Louisville. I don't think there is anymore.

Our first ever driving trip to Disney we stopped in Cincinnati and ate at Skyline. I loved it, but my wife said it had cinnamon in it and she cant eat it...Maybe I'll just have to beg her to try it again.

Yes, the cinnamon is the best part. :)

Did not think of that option. I think that's about the same time. Make sure there's no construction crossing the Ohio River into Louisville. I don't think there is anymore.
:)

The bridge on i65 over the Ohio is open. We've been through several times now. For anyone new to that road, its a new toll bridge. Dont wory about cash or iPass or anything. As far as I can tell its only toll by plate. After two trips through I get an invoice from "riverlink" for $8.00

Always better to beat an upcoming snow/storm system when departing home for WDW. Facing one on the return trip back is another challenge.

It reached 81-degrees in central FL today.

All the best! :thumbsup2

If you are making the long distance drive this weekend, get ready for temperatures in the low 80s instead of the seasonal low-mid 70s.

If you are making the long distance drive this weekend, get ready for temperatures in the low 80s instead of the seasonal low-mid 70s.

Warmer than usual mid-February temperatures expected to continue.

I did my third drive from NJ in 7mos (10th overall) the first week in Jan. Took the (7am Jan 2nd) Cape May Ferry / Bridge Tunnel route as a change of pace. The weather was very cold and the small inlet at Cape May was frozen over. The Captain had to do several back and forth maneuvers to break the ice so he could turn the ferry into the channel. Two days later the ferry closed for a week due to the ice being too thick.

The Roads from Lewes Dl to Emporia Va have improved since my last time taking this route 35 years ago. As expected. However this route still does not save you time or miles.

Once on I95 I drove to Kingsland Ga arriving at 9pm I had a reservation at the Microtel just off the interstate. The room was inexpensive and clean.

I was up and out at 4:30am the next day. I decided to avoid the I4 am traffic I would continue on I95 to the Fl turnpike (528). A few more miles but way less time. If you don't mind paying tolls. I arrived at MCO by 8 in time to pick up my wife.

Note I will never plan a January trip to WDW again it was way to cold. Below freezing every night. It was 28 degrees one night at the MK. I know the weather is hit or miss this time of year.

BTW I prefer to leave home at 8-9pm and drive straight through missing the Balt, DC, Richmond traffic.

I did my third drive from NJ in 7mos (10th overall) the first week in Jan.

Note I will never plan a January trip to WDW again it was way to cold. Below freezing every night. It was 28 degrees one night at the MK. I know the weather is hit or miss this time of year.

Indeed, there were a few "hard freezes," as they are called in these parts, last month; in fact, some cold pre-dawn temperatures were reached that hadn't been experienced by locals in central FL in nearly a decade.

Indeed, there were a few "hard freezes," as they are called in these parts, last month; in fact, some cold pre-dawn temperatures were reached that hadn't been experienced by locals in central FL in nearly a decade.

I was very glad I had my packable down jacket with me - definitely needed it at Epcot one morning. As the day went on, I was able to scrunch it up and keep it in my backpack for the rest of the day.

We were there last month. It was in the low 30s a few times.

Having created this thread on Dec. 6, 2007, and having completed 46 2,000+ mile round trips (NJ to WDW and back!), and having moved to Florida three months ago, and having completed three local one-hour drives to WDW so far, should a new thread be created titled "For Two-Hour Round Trip Drivers Only!?" :rotfl: Nah.

To be sure, it's quite a different driving experience, especially since I-4 is not part of our route. The entrance to WDW on Western Way from route 429 is unique and quite special.

Above all, we send our best wishes to all on the highways who are heading to and from WDW. (We're heading back on Tuesday.)

Having created this thread on Dec. 6, 2007, and having completed 46 2,000+ mile round trips (NJ to WDW and back!), and having moved to Florida three months ago, and having completed three local one-hour drives to WDW so far, should a new thread be created titled "For Two-Hour Round Trip Drivers Only!?" :rotfl: Nah.

To be sure, it's quite a different driving experience, especially since I-4 is not part of our route. The entrance to WDW on Western Way from route 429 is unique and quite special.

Above all, we send our best wishes to all on the highways who are heading to and from WDW. (We're heading back on Tuesday.)

I am leaving tomorrow night after the snow ends around here. Flying this time as I’m going solo meeting family there. Looking forward to the warm 80 temps!!! Winter has been brutal in MA this year.
Glad you are enjoying your new home.

I am leaving tomorrow night after the snow ends around here. Flying this time as I’m going solo meeting family there. Looking forward to the warm 80 temps!!! Winter has been brutal in MA this year.
Glad you are enjoying your new home.

Thanks for the kind words. The weather forecast for Lake Buena Vista looks great for the next week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter