"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

We leave May 26th. Normally we fly, but it is so much cheaper to drive. It's about a 13-14 hour drive depending on traffic, but with stops, ends up being closer to 16 hours. Hoping to leave about 4 am to arrive about 8 pm. I'm excited and can't wait...DH is more envisioning national lampoons (even though we have driven it several times before).

We are leaving from Wisconsin Friday, June 7th for our yearly trip to Disney. We are leaving at 2pm and usually drive down I-65. I'm hearing I-57 is a much more relaxing route. Any input would be appreciated. What construction projects does I-65 have going on?

We are leaving from Wisconsin Friday, June 7th for our yearly trip to Disney. We are leaving at 2pm and usually drive down I-65. I'm hearing I-57 is a much more relaxing route. Any input would be appreciated. What construction projects does I-65 have going on?
For absolutely no reason other than "just because", we take 65 down and 57 home. I will agree that 57 is more relaxing. The semi-truck traffic seems less, and (if I recall) a lot more foliage along 57 as well. As you well know, you hit a few big cities between Milwaukee and Nashville on 65. On 57, once you are past Chicago the biggest city you'll see before Nashville is probably Champaign. We're planning on taking 57 both ways on our drive this September. Being a small town boy, it is neat seeing the big cities on 65, but the older I get the more I want a relaxing drive.

EDIT TO ADD: The one issue with 57 is that Illinois is a big honkin' state. When you take 65, you can "clear" Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, before getting to Tennessee. It feels like you are making progress. On 57, you'll be in Illinois for a good 7-8 hours.

Last edited:
For absolutely no reason other than "just because", we take 65 down and 57 home. I will agree that 57 is more relaxing. The semi-truck traffic seems less, and (if I recall) a lot more foliage along 57 as well. As you well know, you hit a few big cities between Milwaukee and Nashville on 65. On 57, once you are past Chicago the biggest city you'll see before Nashville is probably Champaign. We're planning on taking 57 both ways on our drive this September. Being a small town boy, it is neat seeing the big cities on 65, but the older I get the more I want a relaxing drive.

EDIT TO ADD: The one issue with 57 is that Illinois is a big honkin' state. When you take 65, you can "clear" Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, before getting to Tennessee. It feels like you are making progress. On 57, you'll be in Illinois for a good 7-8 hours.
7-8 hours in one state... geez, I complain about Virginia. Lol
How long of a drive is that from Wisconsin?

CBS-TV Orlando report from minutes ago: additional construction delays (266 days, to be specific) will postpone the completion of Florida's Ultimate I-4 project until September, 2021. :scared1:

All the best! :thumbsup2

CBS-TV Orlando report from minutes ago: additional construction delays (266 days, to be specific) will postpone the completion of Florida's Ultimate I-4 project until September, 2021. :scared1:

Last four years or so we have been hitting Jax. at 3am on a Saturday morning. No traffic all the way into WDW.

Last four years or so we have been hitting Jax. at 3am on a Saturday morning. No traffic all the way into WDW.

Indeed, you have to be creative time-wise if I-4 is part of your WDW route.

The local Orlando news minutes ago suggested that additional construction delays may be forthcoming.

Tomorrow is the 115 day mark on the countdown. Got the inside of T&C limited ready for the next trip.
Got the double bed in, empty cooler,snack bag, changed all the batteries in the flashlights and cleaned and vacuumed what little was in there when we came home in March.
It got inspected and oil changed. A few bags that are ready are in the back. She has treated us well the last few years. Six trips and she has a total of 15,000 miles on it.lol
We call it the Disney van, it's the only time it leaves the garage. Lol
Since we do nap in it, with the a/c on in September, I have an RV carbon monoxide detector for it. Heat kills co detectors so it's the last thing we put in the van and the first thing that comes out when we get there. We never had a problem but better safe than sorry.
IMG_0940.jpg IMG_0941.jpg

Tomorrow is the 115 day mark on the countdown. Got the inside of T&C limited ready for the next trip.
Got the double bed in, empty cooler,snack bag, changed all the batteries in the flashlights and cleaned and vacuumed what little was in there when we came home in March.
It got inspected and oil changed. A few bags that are ready are in the back. She has treated us well the last few years. Six trips and she has a total of 15,000 miles on it.lol
We call it the Disney van, it's the only time it leaves the garage. Lol
Since we do nap in it, with the a/c on in September, I have an RV carbon monoxide detector for it. Heat kills co detectors so it's the last thing we put in the van and the first thing that comes out when we get there. We never had a problem but better safe than sorry.
View attachment 400551 View attachment 400552

But where does your luggage fit?

But where does your luggage fit?
Hard to see in the pictures but the picture with the vacation club blanket, I fit everything in the space where that blanket is. Under that blanket now is two duffle bags. I can get two large suite cases, another two dufflebags, garment bag and dw laptop/ work bag in that space and still see out the back window.
All the seats are folded under and I built out of plywood and some 2x3 that partition wall.
The floor where you see the bed, is 3/8 plywood and twelve inches of memory foam. I didn't put the blanks and two king sizes pillows in it yet. It's more comfortable than our bed in the house. Lol
For a few years we used our Mercedes and just not enough room.
See the card board in the first picture, they fit in the windows in the back. When we arrive around 6am, there was no traffic on I95 or I4, we let them know we are here,bell service takes all our bags, hang out on the Boardwalk, get something to eat, renew our APs etc... and go back to the van. Start the van, get the A/C cranking. Dw will go on her laptop to check some emails, it has a fold down screen on the ceiling, I'll hook it to my iPad, watch tv and take a snooze while our room is getting ready. We have been lucky the last few years our room is ready between 10-12.
When we stay at the Poly, we open Tambu lounge after our nap. Lol
We don't plan anything on arrival day but dinner at around 6:30pm in Epcot. So we are in no rush to do anything.
Our September trips our 15 day stays so we dont rush to do much.
February is 7 days and stay at the Poly and we hang out for the most part where the monorail or boat can take us.
Lol

Hard to see in the pictures but the picture with the vacation club blanket, I fit everything in the space where that blanket is. Under that blanket now is two duffle bags. I can get two large suite cases, another two dufflebags, garment bag and dw laptop/ work bag in that space and still see out the back window.
All the seats are folded under and I built out of plywood and some 2x3 that partition wall.
The floor where you see the bed, is 3/8 plywood and twelve inches of memory foam. I didn't put the blanks and two king sizes pillows in it yet. It's more comfortable than our bed in the house. Lol
For a few years we used our Mercedes and just not enough room.
See the card board in the first picture, they fit in the windows in the back. When we arrive around 6am, there was no traffic on I95 or I4, we let them know we are here,bell service takes all our bags, hang out on the Boardwalk, get something to eat, renew our APs etc... and go back to the van. Start the van, get the A/C cranking. Dw will go on her laptop to check some emails, it has a fold down screen on the ceiling, I'll hook it to my iPad, watch tv and take a snooze while our room is getting ready. We have been lucky the last few years our room is ready between 10-12.
When we stay at the Poly, we open Tambu lounge after our nap. Lol
We don't plan anything on arrival day but dinner at around 6:30pm in Epcot. So we are in no rush to do anything.
Our September trips our 15 day stays so we dont rush to do much.
February is 7 days and stay at the Poly and we hang out for the most part where the monorail or boat can take us.
Lol

Wow, all I can say is you are the king of organization!

Wow, all I can say is you are the king of organization!
Lol. I'm not sure if it's organization or OCD.
Every trip, I would say to myself, I should do this, or I should do that for more room etc....
Someone mentioned I should get a small motor home. I don't want to go that far because it would slow us down.
Hopefully it won't be too many more years till I know longer qualify for this thread.
BC, in laws took there house in Florida off the market. Father in law said if he feels good in the fall they are going back.lol He's doing pretty good.

It's been about 3 years since our last drive to Disney World. We've been grabbing $29 each way flights out of Trenton so we've just be doing long weekends. But now we have a 2+ week WDW, DCL, Vero trip next month. We are in eastern PA but we are going to try the 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 route. We'll leave on a Thursday night after work and get almost through VA. Trying to find a good place to stay over on the drive back. We'll be spending a good part of the day in the parks before driving back so something in SC would be ideal. Typically, we go for Hilton hotels for the points! Any tips or suggestions on this route would be appreciated.

Latest I-4 report: a shooting from one vehicle to another at Deltona; victim in stable condition. Fatal crash as one driver exited I-4 for I-95.

Be careful out there on the road.

7-8 hours in one state... geez, I complain about Virginia.
My thoughts exactly.

I haven't posted in here forever, looking forward to another road trip this summer and catching up on this thread.

Anyone have a good - often updated - app for exits? We had downloaded one last trip and the info was out of date, which was super fun when getting off the highway for nothing lol. Thanks for any tips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter