For the First Time in Forever... December 2017 Dining Report

Glad you tried a dole whip and Night blossom, we enjoy both! I am going to try the tie dye Cheesecake in February since we will be at Pop for our first three nights! I agree the loaded fries at the Plaza are good but small.

I agree with your overall assessment of Homecoming. While the food was solid, it wasn't as impressive as many claim from their experiences. Looking forward to more.

Glad you tried a dole whip and Night blossom, we enjoy both! I am going to try the tie dye Cheesecake in February since we will be at Pop for our first three nights! I agree the loaded fries at the Plaza are good but small.

Thanks! Hope you like the cheesecake!

I agree with your overall assessment of Homecoming. While the food was solid, it wasn't as impressive as many claim from their experiences. Looking forward to more.

Yeah, it just didn't impress us. I could've gotten that meal somewhere where I live or could've made it myself. Definitely trying somewhere else in DS next time :)
Thanks!

Yeah, it just didn't impress us. I could've gotten that meal somewhere where I live or could've made it myself. Definitely trying somewhere else in DS next time :)
Thanks!
Exactly. I'm sure it's the same argument New Englanders make about lobster rolls at Disney, or Nola residents about beignets, et.al. It's not truly fair to compare most Disney food with the more authentic dishes you can find at home, but it's a natural thing to do. Like you, this sort of meal is something we easily can find around here or simply make ourselves for far less.

Great start to your report! I love Garden Grill for breakfast and you can never go wrong with PPO pictures! I'm glad you tried a Dole Whip, I am partial to them but even more so to the Dole Whip floats. Looking forward to reading more!

Day 2 Part 2:

Early Dinner: Rose & Crown Pub

Rose & Crown has been a favorite of mine for years and it just wouldn't be a Disney trip without going to get fish and chips there.

View attachment 290919

My grandmother and I shared the fish and chips while my mom got the pub burger. As always, the fish and chips were amazing and the pub burger was actually better than the fish and chips which shocked me!

I'm sad to report that the photos of the fish and chips and pub burger are lost, but both were amazing. If anyone is heading there and you've already tried the fish and chips, give the pub burger a try! You could really tell the meat was fresh and not frozen and very tender.

My mom was celebrating her birthday that day, so they brought her out a not-so generic cupcake.

View attachment 290921
I usually don't like Disney's birthday cupcakes they give you at the restaurant but this one was really excellent. It was lemon flavored and had a caramel filling.

Overall, Rose & Crown is still amazing and we gave it a 10/10. We'll definitely be returning, except next time I'm getting the burger all to myself :)
That's called a Butterfly cake. My mum used to make them when I was a kid.

Great start to your report! I love Garden Grill for breakfast and you can never go wrong with PPO pictures! I'm glad you tried a Dole Whip, I am partial to them but even more so to the Dole Whip floats. Looking forward to reading more!

Thanks!!! I was really shocked they let us in PPO, to be honest. We are already planning on trying the float the next time we go!

Day 4:

1900 Park Fare has always been a favorite spot for us. It has great food, awesome characters, and it's located inside my all time favorite resort.

I scheduled our breakfast at 8:30 and we barely made it in time due to long security lines to get to the monorail - not that I'm complaining about that, it made us feel much safer in the crowds.

I stopped to take a few photos of the Gingerbread house.

Gingerbread house.jpg
isn't it beautiful?! I even spotted three of the 19 hidden mickeys on it.

After the mandatory photo op it was off to check in.

We were served orange juice and our server even asked us what else we wanted to drink (I'm looking at you Chef Mickey's :rolleyes1)

After a swing around the buffet I was struck with fear - I couldn't find my favorite Strawberry Soup! It felt like Chef Mickey's breakfast pizza 2.0. After flagging down our server I asked what happened to it. She walked us over to a covered beverage dispenser in the back corner where it was located. Whew. Crisis averted, my breakfast was saved.

1900 PF plate.jpg
I got eggs, a cheese danish, fruit, ham, bacon, bread pudding, one chicken nugget, corn, strawberry soup (yes, that is a regular sized bowl for it), and a Mickey waffle. Next to the bread pudding on the buffet they had a vanilla sauce. I didn't want it on my bread pudding but I did want to try it on my waffle. Worst case scenario I could go get a new waffle without it on it.

Let me tell you. The Mickey waffle will never. be. the. same. I thought the Mickey Waffle was already perfect but I was wrong. It needed vanilla sauce. The vanilla sauce and syrup combination was incredible and the sauce gave the waffle an added flavor I didn't even know it was missing. 1000/10.

The bread pudding was good, eggs were good, fruit was perfect, and the bacon wasn't rubbery or burnt (I'm looking at you Garden Grill). The ham, corn, and chicken nuggets were just okay though. I wouldn't go back for seconds on them.

Debbie 1900 PF Plate.jpg
My mom opted for a chocolate danish, mac n cheese, chicken nuggets, ham, eggs, and bacon. After some peer pressure from me she also went and got a waffle. She liked the chocolate danish but I personally didn't. I didn't try the mac and cheese but she said it was good. She enjoyed the corn and chicken more than I did and... wait for it... actually liked and ate the waffle! It's a Christmas miracle! pixiedust:

My grandmother got the same things I did, except she saved room to eat all of the strawberry soup. It's her favorite!

On our way out I grabbed a few things from the gingerbread house because I obviously didn't eat enough LOL. I bought a shingle, Mickey head, and ornament. I didn't like the flavor of the gingerbread. There were too many spices in it and it just wasn't worth it. I won't be buying anything from the gingerbread house next year.

Up next: A surprise dinner in colonial America!

Day 4 part 2: Epcot snacks and Liberty Tree Tavern!

We had originally planned for a Garden Grill dinner because it was the last day of MVMCP so we couldn't be in the MK in the evening, but after our breakfast at Garden Grill we weren't in the mood to go back just a few days later. The food was good, but we wanted something different.

So before our breakfast at 1900 park fare I went down to the concierge and asked them what was available. The only restaurant that was available that we hadn't booked and also liked was Liberty Tree - just two hours before the party started.

Now, I knew this would cause issues as my mother hates Liberty Tree with a passion. However, my grandmother and I love it, so I decided to take the risk and book it.

After telling my mom that Liberty Tree was our only option she decided she would go somewhere else after a few hours with us at Epcot to find something else to eat that was "better". That was fine with us, no need to have a fun sucker along for dinner :P

Before our FP for Frozen Ever After we decided to stop into the Norwegian bakery to try the School Bread and Cream Puff.
School Bread.jpg

The School Bread was really good, and the cream inside was awesome. I could've done without the coconut on top, though. My mom didn't like it, but my grandmother did enjoy it.

Cream Puff from Norway.jpg

The cream puff was also delicious. They said there was alcohol somewhere in it but I didn't taste it. I wish they would've chopped up strawberries inside the cream or something, but it was amazing as is.

After our FP for Frozen my mom departed from us and my grandmother and I took the monorail over to MK for several hours of attractions, shopping, and our dinner.

Patriot's Slush.jpg

We both started off with the Patriot's Slush, which is a frozen cherry and apple beverage. We were both a little skeptical of cherry and apple combined, but it was excellent.

Rolls from LTT.jpg
Up next were some delicious rolls with honey butter. I mean, come on, how can this be anything but good?

Salad from LTT.jpg

We were then served the Declaration Salad. I have to say, this salad was incredible. I'm not ashamed to admit we almost ate the whole platter of salad between the two of us. The dressing was what made it so good. I asked for the recipe, and they said they would email it to us, but it's been weeks and they haven't yet!

Dinner at LTT.jpg

Up next was the platter! The dressing and mashed potatoes were very good and the turkey was excellent. Also, the pot roast was the best pot roast either of us have ever eaten. The green beans were decent, but we were too busy eating the meat to care LOL. The only thing that was disappointing was the Mac and Cheese. I tried to like it, but it just wasn't very good. Neither of us like pork, but I did try a bite and it was okay, but the pork flavor was still too prominent for me.

Dessert at LTT.jpg

After an amazing meal we had an equally awesome dessert. The Oooey Gooey Toffee Cake was excellent, and an awesome way to end an amazing meal.

We rated the meal a 10/10. The only criticism I have is that the Mac and Cheese really wasn't good, but all can be forgiven with a platter of pot roast. :)

Even if the meal was bad I still would've told my mom that it was in fact the best meal ever, however, it really was the best 1 credit table service meal of our whole trip! Can't wait to go back! Also, a big shout out to our server Blake. He was on top of it the whole time and was really nice.

Up next: Tusker House, Tamales, a meal change, and dinner in Canada!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!