For the First Time in Forever... December 2017 Dining Report

Day 5:

Jambo, everyone!

Today's food adventure takes us to Animal Kingdom where we dine at Tusker House.

After rope-dropping Kilimanjaro Safaris (we had a FP for NRJ later in the day) we headed over to the restaurant to check in. We were seated within five minutes.

The first thing I noticed about the restaurant is that it felt darker inside than years past. Anyone else feel the same way? No, just me? okay. :rolleyes1

TH Breakfast.jpg
I tried out the beef bobotie, bacon, chocolate danish, bacon, breakfast potatoes, sweet plantains, a Mickey Waffle missing an ear, and the zebra coffee cake (not pictured).

First off, I'd like to say while I gave the bobotie a good college try it just wasn't my thing. I think it was the texture.

I know I've already mentioned it a million times but the Mickey Waffle just isn't as good as it is with the vanilla sauce. They really need to make a waffle bar in every buffet and have lots of toppings and sauces. I'd seriously pay extra to get access to it.

The sweet plantains were good, but the zebra coffee cake was a bit too chocolatey for me, as was the danish.

Don't hate me for this: I know people love Tusker House, and I've loved it in years past, but it just came out about as average as Chef Mickey's for me. I probably won't be returning since there are better breakfast buffet options not only on property but in AKL at Boma which is a few minutes away.

Overall, I rate it a 5/10.

We headed to Epcot after a few more hours at AK. After riding Soarin 5 times we were getting a little hungry since none of us were very impressed with breakfast.

We decided to try the the beef tamales at the Three Kings Feast booth.

I was a bit hesitant to try it since it was served with Cilantro rice. I'm one of those weird people that think Cilantro tastes like rotten soap lit on fire. I asked for the rice on the side and they were happy to accommodate. :)

Rice for Tamale.jpg
Tamales from Epcot.jpg

I have to say that the Tamale was actually pretty good (and I'm a Mexican food snob). I went against the grain and tried the rice. Now, I can usually smell Cilantro if it's even been in the house within a week, but for the life of me I could not tell there was Cilantro ever in contact with that rice. I don't know if they just cooked it within an inch of its life or maybe there was no cilantro, but it wasn't bad.

After splitting the Tamale three ways we actually went back and got another one. This time, we left the rice on.

Tamale from Epcot Fest.jpg

We highly recommend! We rated it an 8/10, as the meat could've had a bit more flavor or spice.

Since our dinner wasn't until 6:40 we explored world showcase until it was finally time for our dinner at Le Cellier. We had never been there before and have heard mixed reviews, so we were a bit apprehensive.

We were served a nice bowl of bread with butter.
Bread from LC.jpg

My grandmother and I started off with the cheddar cheese soup for our appetizer.
Cheese Soup .jpg
The soup was excellent, but much too filling and heavy.

My mom had the wedge salad.

Salad from LC.jpg
I tried a bite of it and didn't care for the dressing. She liked it, though.

We all decided on the filet.

My steak at LC.jpg

This is where it gets rocky. The filet was okay at best. It was cooked correctly, but the flavor was just blah. I feel like I could've gotten the same thing at Texas Roadhouse.
Also, WHY IS THIS RESTAURANT SO DARK?!?! It's not romantic, it's just dimly lit.

For dessert I decided on Nanaimo cake I saw another table get:
PB dessert at LC.jpg
Isn't it adorable? Now, full disclosure I LOVE peanut butter on pretty much anything, but this was WAY too much peanut butter flavor. It's like I ate the whole jar. Not a fan. I was very disappointed.

My grandmother got the Maple Creme Brûlée:
Maple CB.jpg
The creme brûlée was very good, but it didn't taste like maple at all. It was much better than my peanut butter mess.

Le Cellier Part2:

My mom decided on a seasonal dessert. The waitress said it won some award. I'm not sure how orange is a Christmas seasonal flavor but whatever.
Mom's dessert at LC.jpg

It was very pretty good but very small.

Overall, my grandmother and I weren't impressed with Le Cellier at all and wished we would've chosen California Grill instead. My mom was impressed for some unknown reason. We won't be returning but I'm glad we tried it after many years of wondering what it was like. We rate it a 6/10.

We had originally planned to eat at Whispering Canyon for Christmas Eve's breakfast, but I was so impressed with 1900 PF a few days ago I decided to ditch WC and go back to the heavenly vanilla sauce.

Up next: 1900 PF (again), Crystal Palace, and a dessert party!

We have always loved TH, sorry it wasn’t to great this time. I have heard similar reviews to yours about Le Cellier really hit or miss. I don’t think it should be a signature from reviews.

Re: the Mickey waffles. I agree about having bars with made-to-order waffles and various toppings. Roaring Fork used to have those until the renovation last summer. Now, they're the same mass-produced, spongey waffles as most places and come with only one gummy bananas foster-style sauce. Nasty. That's the way it will be gong forward, I'm sure, as no doubt Disney has found they can save a few thousand dollars here and there by cutting out the personnel costs to have one person manning the waffle irons and mass producing the batter. We no longer even try Mickey waffles at Disney.

Re: the Mickey waffles. I agree about having bars with made-to-order waffles and various toppings. Roaring Fork used to have those until the renovation last summer. Now, they're the same mass-produced, spongey waffles as most places and come with only one gummy bananas foster-style sauce. Nasty. That's the way it will be gong forward, I'm sure, as no doubt Disney has found they can save a few thousand dollars here and there by cutting out the personnel costs to have one person manning the waffle irons and mass producing the batter. We no longer even try Mickey waffles at Disney.

I'm so sorry you guys no longer enjoy them. I've never had a bad one, but it does seem like they are better at some places than others. Cape May and 1900 PF had the best on our trip :)

Enjoying your Reviews! I agree, why is LeCellier so dark? I can't even see your filet. Is it sliced? Does it have the same truffled risotto it used to have? Haven't been there in ages!

Enjoying your Reviews! I agree, why is LeCellier so dark? I can't even see your filet. Is it sliced? Does it have the same truffled risotto it used to have? Haven't been there in ages!

Thank you!!!

LOL it was even darker in person! My phone screen looked like a flashlight in there.

They wanted to butterfly it because I like my steak well done (I know - I'm weird) I subbed in potatoes but I believe it came with the mushroom risotto.

Hi Bri! Just stumbling onto your report, but enjoying it thus far!!! Sorry Tusker House was a bit of a bust, it is our favorite breakfast buffet. Speaking of buffets, you have me wanting to try 1900 PF after 2 visits in 1 trip. It's gotta be good.

Definitely give CG a whirl on your next trip. Its our absolute favorite signature! Or if you want to give steak another whirl Yachtsman is from another world. Steak perfection

Hi Bri! Just stumbling onto your report, but enjoying it thus far!!! Sorry Tusker House was a bit of a bust, it is our favorite breakfast buffet. Speaking of buffets, you have me wanting to try 1900 PF after 2 visits in 1 trip. It's gotta be good.

Definitely give CG a whirl on your next trip. Its our absolute favorite signature! Or if you want to give steak another whirl Yachtsman is from another world. Steak perfection

Hi and thank you! I must confess - I'm a huge fan of your dining reports :)

Oh yes, 1900 PF is our 2nd fave breakfast buffet. I highly recommend it especially since Alice and Poppins are there. Our favorite is coming up shortly, as well as our meal at Yachtsman which was AMAZING. It truly is perfection!

Last Saturday, Jan. 13, we didn't have a great experience with the Liberty Tree. We've always been happy in the past, but will sit this one out for a few years we decided.
Seems like we ALWAYS wait at least 20-25 minutes beyond our reservation for a table, including this visit. Food was ok, but I agree, the pot roast was exceptionally good. Our service was not good though -- we had to ask for refills on tea and water several times, had to ask for the (delicious) dessert, as our waiter cleared the table after dinner, then went MIA not returning with dessert.
We also ate at Art Smith's Homecomin' last week, for the second time in a couple of months. We all had something different from our first visit, but everyone loved it this second visit as well. My hubby insists their grits are the best he's ever had in his life ;) I can't get past the chicken, potatoes and gravy!
I totally agree on Chef Mickeys . . . we gave that one up a couple of years ago. It was dirty, and not a good quality breakfast anymore. Like you, we love 1900 Park Fare, and also the character breakfast at Cape May (Beach Club).

Last Saturday, Jan. 13, we didn't have a great experience with the Liberty Tree. We've always been happy in the past, but will sit this one out for a few years we decided.
Seems like we ALWAYS wait at least 20-25 minutes beyond our reservation for a table, including this visit. Food was ok, but I agree, the pot roast was exceptionally good. Our service was not good though -- we had to ask for refills on tea and water several times, had to ask for the (delicious) dessert, as our waiter cleared the table after dinner, then went MIA not returning with dessert.
We also ate at Art Smith's Homecomin' last week, for the second time in a couple of months. We all had something different from our first visit, but everyone loved it this second visit as well. My hubby insists their grits are the best he's ever had in his life ;) I can't get past the chicken, potatoes and gravy!
I totally agree on Chef Mickeys . . . we gave that one up a couple of years ago. It was dirty, and not a good quality breakfast anymore. Like you, we love 1900 Park Fare, and also the character breakfast at Cape May (Beach Club).

Sorry your experience at LTT was a miss! I'm glad you liked Art Smith's, we all mutually agreed we won't be returning, but I've heard most people really enjoy it :)
Yeah, I have a lot of fond memories of going to Chef Mickey's as a child, but after they took away the breakfast pizza there really is no redeeming quality LOL.

They serve chicken nuggets and mac and cheese at 1900 park fare breakfast? That is the weirdest thing to me! Can't say I hate it! Loving your report!

Happy February Everyone! I'm sorry for the lack of posts but with college starting back up it's been a bit hectic :) Since it's a snow day here I figured what better way to celebrate a morning off than to reminisce about Disney food!?

Christmas Eve:

We actually went back to 1900 and had the exact same thing... so I'll spare you the photos. Also, the vanilla sauce was just as good the second time around. I've tried to recreate it at home but just haven't nailed it yet.

We hadn't planned on eating lunch but after my mom had raved about Pecos Bill in MK after her September trip we decided to try it.

Pecos Bill tray.jpg

We ordered the soft ground beef and fajita tacos and beefy nachos with "fixings."

tacos.jpg
My grandmother and I did not care for the tacos. It's not that they were bad, but we've heard this quick service place be hyped up so much that it just wasn't as impressive as some people were saying. The ground beef tacos were much better than the fajita meat ones.

chips.jpg

The beefy nachos weren't bad but could've used more cheese distributed throughout.

drink at Pecos Bill.jpg

I also picked up their frozen strawberry slush. It was very good and worth the purchase if you're ever there.

Overall, Pecos Bill was okay but nothing special. Casey's Corner is a better choice for our family. We rate it a 5/10.

For our Christmas Eve dinner we chose Crystal Palace because we had reserved the Fireworks Dessert Party for later that evening and wanted to stay in Magic Kingdom.

Crystal Palace.jpg
Crystal Palace truly is a Buffet with Character. Eeyore was dabbing and dancing. I thought he was supposed to be sad? Not that I'm complaining, he was hilarious.

Now, onto the food!

CP Salad Plate.jpg

I picked up some Caesar salad with ranch dressing, some fruit, a roll, and a little mashed potatoes.

CP plate 2.jpg
I also picked up some carved prime rib and three mini desserts that my mom wanted to try. I was glad that they had the option of requesting it cooked a bit longer, because I prefer my meat well done. I also picked up some classic Disney chicken nuggets from the kids buffet because we're all kids at heart :)

The salad was pretty good and I went back for seconds. The prime rib, chicken nuggets, and potatoes were also good. My grandmother and I have the same taste in food so she opted for the same items, minus the salad, and said her food was good.

I didn't care for the dessert with the little bee on top or the panna cotta, as it had a strange texture. The mini smores tart was excellent, though!

Mom's CP plate.jpg Mom's CP plate 2.jpg

My mom grabbed some tilapia, prime rib, shrimp, green beans, salad, and some pasta salad.

I found the tilapia a bit too fishy tasting, but she enjoys fish of all kinds so she enjoyed it. She had no complaints with her food.

Overall, we rated it a 7/10 and are hoping to try breakfast next time. :)

Day 2 Part 2:

Early Dinner: Rose & Crown Pub

Rose & Crown has been a favorite of mine for years and it just wouldn't be a Disney trip without going to get fish and chips there.

View attachment 290919

My grandmother and I shared the fish and chips while my mom got the pub burger. As always, the fish and chips were amazing and the pub burger was actually better than the fish and chips which shocked me!

I'm sad to report that the photos of the fish and chips and pub burger are lost, but both were amazing. If anyone is heading there and you've already tried the fish and chips, give the pub burger a try! You could really tell the meat was fresh and not frozen and very tender.

My mom was celebrating her birthday that day, so they brought her out a not-so generic cupcake.

View attachment 290921
I usually don't like Disney's birthday cupcakes they give you at the restaurant but this one was really excellent. It was lemon flavored and had a caramel filling.

Overall, Rose & Crown is still amazing and we gave it a 10/10. We'll definitely be returning, except next time I'm getting the burger all to myself :)

Does the pub take reservations? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter