For the First Time in Forever... December 2017 Dining Report

Welp, it's been a while hasn't it? We left off at the beginning of the Fireworks Dessert Party.
DP 3.jpg Dp 4.jpg IMG_9292.jpg
Here are a few photos of the desserts. I have to say, I was actually really disappointed. The desserts were okay but nothing special and the view wasn't as good as we had hoped - especially with the price we paid :) However, we loved Happily Ever After!

Now, without further ado, we move on to Christmas Day! pixiedust: We had breakfast at Cape May Cafe, which has easily become our favorite breakfast on property :) If you haven't tried it, you've got to!

Mickey Waffle Cape May.jpg
I had the obligatory Mickey Waffle of course

Cape May plate.jpg
For my breakfast plate I picked up some bacon, eggs, fruit, potato hash, some pepper-jack cheese, and a chocolate peppermint pancake with homemade whipped cream (anyone else's mouth watering? No? Just me? okay then.)

The Mickey waffle was delicious as always. I was really disappointed in the peppermint pancake. If you like strong peppermint you'd probably like it but I'll just stick with my Mickey Waffle, thanks. The fruit was perfect, as well as the bacon, eggs, and potato hash. I went back for a second scoop of that potato hash it was so good!

Pancakes at Cape May.jpg
My grandmother decided to have a small plate of eggs and bacon but to top it all off she had the amazing stack of pancakes with strawberry sauce instead of syrup. She was happy with her decision :) We rated the meal a 10/10. It even edged out 1900 PF with its amazingness - which was a hard challenge!

Since it was Christmas Day we knew we wanted to avoid MK so we decided to try out HS (even though I had previously sworn off the park because of the Great Movie Ride's removal). Surprisingly, we really enjoyed ourselves! We saw the Frozen Sing a Long, Beauty and the Beast Live, and the March of the First Order before heading over to Epcot. But before we left we stopped at got a Mickey Pretzel for the first time ever:

Mickey Pretzel.jpg

It was much denser than I had imagined. I guess I'm just used to Auntie Anne's pretzels. It couldn't be more adorable though, am I right?

Up next: Yachtsman Steakhouse Christmas dinner

Christmas Dinner:

Since Yachtsman Steakhouse is our favorite restaurant on property we had no other choice but to eat there on Christmas Day :) After a relaxing HS and Epcot day we headed over to the Yacht Club.

I started off with a non-alcoholic version of the Strawberry Daiquiri (it's good, guys.)
Strawberry drink.jpg

My grandmother and mom went with the Pina Colada:
Pina Colada.jpg

It was also amazing. :) After we ordered our food we were served their delicious onion pull apart bread with garlic and butter on the side.
Onion bread.jpg
Garlic and Butter.jpg
Their onion pull apart bread is amazing, it's so soft and fluffy! I had to restrain myself from eating a whole roll before the appetizers arrived.

My grandmother and I ordered the French Onion Soup.
French Onion Soup.jpg
French Onion Soup 2.jpg
We are really picky with our French Onion Soup - but this was by far the BEST French Onion Soup we had ever tasted. I could've just had this and walked away 1000% happy. If you are at Yachtsman Steakhouse and enjoy French Onion Soup, get this! You will not be disappointed!!! :)

My mom ordered the Caesar Salad.
Salad from YS.jpg
It was served very artfully. She enjoyed it, but I didn't even bother trying it because I was served the world's best soup.

We all ordered the 10 oz filet:
Steak at Yachtsman.jpg

And here we have the best steak ever, too. I usually order the 6 oz but the 10 oz had much more flavor. The steak was cooked perfectly and it was amazing. I think the whole meal was one of the best meals I've ever had. My only complaint was that I ate so much soup I couldn't eat all of my steak :)

For dessert my grandmother ordered the creme brûlée:
Creme Brulee.jpg
It was an excellent creme brûlée, she really enjoyed it (especially since the creme brûlée at Le Cellier was so bleh)

My dessert at Yachtsman.jpg
I had this Key Lime Ice Box Tart - I'm not sure of the official name but it was their seasonal dessert. It was a cheesecake consistency key lime flavored mousse on top of a graham cracker crust with toasted marshmallow meringue on top with grapefruit sauce dolloped. This was amazing! It was light but sweet enough to fulfill the dessert craving. I'm only slightly ashamed to say I ate it all :)

My mom had their chocolate cake:
Cake at YS.jpg
Cake at YS 2.jpg
As you can see, it was huge. It was very rich and a bit too much chocolate for me, but she loved it.

As always, our experience at Yachtsman Steakhouse was amazing. To be honest, it was so good it kind of ruined the rest of our Disney meals LOL. We rated it a 1000/10. Seriously, if you're thinking about going there, just do it. The restaurant is beautiful, the service is incredible, and the food is amazing. :)

12/26 Breakfast: Kona Cafe

After many people insisting that Kona Cafe is a great place to eat we decided to try breakfast there before heading out to our final day in the parks.

I ordered the Fruit Plate after considering ordering the Tonga Toast. However, at 7:50 in the morning Tonga Toast sounded a bit too sweet.
Kona Fruit plate.jpg
I was served Kiwi, raspberries, blackberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, a few pieces of pineapple, some slices of oranges, half a banana, and a passionfruit filled pastry. I'm not sure what the sauce was, but it was bad.

The size of this massive bowl of fruit is not fully represented in this photo. A family of four could have eaten this fruit plate.

My grandmother got the breakfast platter:
Kona breakfast.jpg
She was served bacon, eggs, breakfast potatoes, some sort of fruit hash, and a mickey shaped muffin with macadamia nuts.

While the food was okay, I was EXTREMELY underwhelmed and disappointed. I can get a better breakfast at any local restaurant for half the price. We rated it a 4/10 for the food and not so good service. We will not be returning.

Has anyone else had a bad experience here or just doesn't like it? I feel like everyone I talk to loves it.

Moving on.

We had our final dinner at Be Our Guest. I worked very hard to get this reservation, and I wore my special hand made Beauty and The Beast inspired ears for the occasion. We were seated at a window seat in the grand ballroom per my unreasonable request.

For appetizers my grandmother and I had the French Onion Soup:
Soup at BOG.jpg

And my mom had their salad:

Salad at BOG.jpg

She liked it, I didn't. The dressing was not my type of dressing.

The soup was okay, but after having the world's best French Onion soup at Yachtsman the night prior, it kind of fell flat in comparison.

For dinner we all had the strip steak.

My grandmother and I both substituted fingerling potatoes for the fries originally served.
Steak at BOG.jpg
The steak was cooked well. Again, in comparison with the steak the previous evening it felt more like a Texas Roadhouse steak.

Mom steak at BOG.jpg

My mom had her steak with the fries and truffle sauce. Ahh, the truffle sauce. How I've missed you. We actually were at BOG opening night back in the day. We were the first people seated in the Grand Ballroom and I had the steak with the truffle fries. Sweet memories.

For dessert:
Grey Stuff.jpg
My mom had the grey stuff on a vanilla tart. Easily the best dessert of the night.

Eclair BOG.jpg
My grandmother had the chocolate eclair. She said it was fine, but we could definitely tell the shells were pre made.

Creme Puff.jpg
I had an orange creme puff. While it was good, I could also tell the shell was pre made.

Overall, dinner at BOG was alright. The steak was a bit tough and I wish they would've had mashed or baked potatoes as an option for the steak side. I was obviously biased because of the excellent meal at Yachtsman, but BOG still isn't as good as it used to be. I'm hoping with the changes coming to BOG in the next few months that it will return to being an excellent restaurant. That being said, I would return simply for the atmosphere. :) We rated it a 6/10.

Also, is this place darker than Le Cellier or is it just me?

Thank you much for the up to date reviews and particularly those for Le Cellier and Yachtsman which have been on my radar for a bit. We were at Disney the same time as you and had a ressie for Le Cellier but decided to cancel since it was too close to our ADR for the Boathouse and there is a limit to how much beef we can eat in a short span. Oh and I guess the lighting @ Le Cellier is just living up to it's name which means basement or cellar, LOL.

Assuming the Kona Cafe fruit plate is similar to the one served by room service I'd say that yellow sauce was Greek yougurt topped w/ granola or muesli.

Last edited:
Thank you much for the up to date reviews and particularly those for Le Cellier and Yachtsman which have been on my radar for a bit. We were at Disney the same time as you and had a ressie for Le Cellier but decided to cancel since it was too close to our ADR for the Boathouse and there is a limit to how much beef we can eat in a short span. Oh and I guess the lighting @ Le Cellier is just living up to it's name which means basement or cellar, LOL.

Assuming the Kona Cafe fruit plate is similar to the one served by room service I'd say that yellow sauce was Greek yougurt topped w/ granola or muesli.

I hope I've convinced you to give Yachtsman a try :)

If Le Cellier had better food I could get over eating in the dark lol. That sounds about right for the yellow sauce... I wasn't a fan personally. I like my fruit plain :)

Thanks for posting the reviews -- we're considering some of these for our December trip this year.

I am curious about what you didn't like about the Seven Dwarfs Train ride -- it's new since our last visit.

Happy to follow along. Never tried Yachtsman. We actually had reservations way back in 2015 (our last WFW trip). Even with ADRs they were running so far behind schedule (when we left we had been waiting about 45 min)...they let us cancel without penalty. We were still full from lunch that day anyway. We're staying at BWI in October so maybe I should rearrange some of our meals to include Yachtsman. The only one that would work would be to skip Il Mulina (sp?).....

Happy to follow along. Never tried Yachtsman. We actually had reservations way back in 2015 (our last WFW trip). Even with ADRs they were running so far behind schedule (when we left we had been waiting about 45 min)...they let us cancel without penalty. We were still full from lunch that day anyway. We're staying at BWI in October so maybe I should rearrange some of our meals to include Yachtsman. The only one that would work would be to skip Il Mulina (sp?).....

I totally recommend making time out to go to Yachtsman. It's my favorite restaurant on property!

Thanks for posting the reviews -- we're considering some of these for our December trip this year.

I am curious about what you didn't like about the Seven Dwarfs Train ride -- it's new since our last visit.

Sorry for the late response! I'm not a thrill ride person so it was much too fast and winding/twisting for me. I didn't feel good for the rest of the day. Soarin, Pirates, and Frozen are pretty much the extent of my thrill rides for reference. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter