For the love of 'Ohana

Captain Dan

Aventureland Captain
Well, though I have resisted these many years, I have finally joined the DIS boards. Honestly I am just not very good at navigating the "Forum" format.

I love Pete like a cousin from a couple of states away that doesn't visit often enough. Having said that I feel compelled to share my more positive experience with 'Ohana.

When I was a child and my family would travel to Disney World I fell in love with the Polynesian. We didn't stay there. We would go to poly instead of the Magic Kingdom. We swam in the Volcano Pool and the beach and we would eat at Papeete Bay Verandah, now 'Ohana. It was the coolest place to eat. Better than anything in the Kingdom. Better than anywhere else in life.

As an adult my wife told me she wanted to take our daughter to Disney World. She too grew up swimming at Poly but never staying there. It was the only choice for us, stay at the Poly. On our first trip Disney upgraded us to club level, dead center of the Hawaii Longhouse on the 2nd floor with a balcony. (Best room at Disney World)

We have now eaten at 'Ohana several times. Our first trip we had a table of 9. Our favorite dinner was on a date night when we watched the fireworks during our 2 1/2 hour dinner. We have always received excellent service and never been rushed. The salad, the noodles and the wings. I would rank these items as high on my list of favs.

I love Poly. Sure, the offerings at other club level lounges are better, but not as fun. Housekeeping will eventually get around to sort of tidying up your room.

My mom is in the final chapter of her life and has no memories of Disney World or the Polynesian. Poly? She cleans up nicely but is showing her age, in the creases, and around the edges, just like mom. Take your mom to 'Ohana while you can, That's my advice.

I don't think the issue is that people are upset with Ohana in terms of food or anything it just seems as of late they are rushing people through their meals to get people in and out. It is great that you haven't experienced such but that also doesn't mean others haven't and right now many are seeming to have been rushed through.

My last experience was good, not great. Food was fine, I didn't feel really rushed but just wasn't an amazing experience or anything overall.

I don't think the issue is that people are upset with Ohana in terms of food or anything it just seems as of late they are rushing people through their meals to get people in and out. It is great that you haven't experienced such but that also doesn't mean others haven't and right now many are seeming to have been rushed through.

My last experience was good, not great. Food was fine, I didn't feel really rushed but just wasn't an amazing experience or anything overall.

----------

As I say, we have never been rushed. I can only speak from my experience. Pete is correct about defending the infrequent visitor as opposed to the locals. I am in Chicago and if I had a bad experience at 'Ohana I would be upset.

Cheers!

----------

As I say, we have never been rushed. I can only speak from my experience. Pete is correct about defending the infrequent visitor as opposed to the locals. I am in Chicago and if I had a bad experience at 'Ohana I would be upset.

Cheers!
Wanted to say welcome, @Captain Dan, and glad you have such great memories of the Poly and Ohana. And of course you're entitled to them, and thank you for sharing them. I haven't been in MANY years, but also have great memories from those times.

I had a good experience with breakfast at Ohana.

Pete should review 50s prime time cafe the worst food and service I’ve had at Disney hands down. I’ve eaten at Hollywood and Vine too and it was better than 50s.

Pete should review 50s prime time cafe the worst food and service I’ve had at Disney hands down. I’ve eaten at Hollywood and Vine too and it was better than 50s.
I haven’t been to 50s in a while but I loved it. Definitely need to try it again.

I also haven't been to 50's in a LONG time, but used to go every visit, and always had a good to great experience. I did have to wait quite a bit past ADR time a lot of times, due to the popularity of it, and others reluctance to leave. :)

I've also always had positive experiences at Hollywood & Vine. Again - last trip was almost 7 years ago.

Last edited:
Well, though I have resisted these many years, I have finally joined the DIS boards. Honestly I am just not very good at navigating the "Forum" format.

I love Pete like a cousin from a couple of states away that doesn't visit often enough. Having said that I feel compelled to share my more positive experience with 'Ohana.

When I was a child and my family would travel to Disney World I fell in love with the Polynesian. We didn't stay there. We would go to poly instead of the Magic Kingdom. We swam in the Volcano Pool and the beach and we would eat at Papeete Bay Verandah, now 'Ohana. It was the coolest place to eat. Better than anything in the Kingdom. Better than anywhere else in life.

As an adult my wife told me she wanted to take our daughter to Disney World. She too grew up swimming at Poly but never staying there. It was the only choice for us, stay at the Poly. On our first trip Disney upgraded us to club level, dead center of the Hawaii Longhouse on the 2nd floor with a balcony. (Best room at Disney World)

We have now eaten at 'Ohana several times. Our first trip we had a table of 9. Our favorite dinner was on a date night when we watched the fireworks during our 2 1/2 hour dinner. We have always received excellent service and never been rushed. The salad, the noodles and the wings. I would rank these items as high on my list of favs.

I love Poly. Sure, the offerings at other club level lounges are better, but not as fun. Housekeeping will eventually get around to sort of tidying up your room.

My mom is in the final chapter of her life and has no memories of Disney World or the Polynesian. Poly? She cleans up nicely but is showing her age, in the creases, and around the edges, just like mom. Take your mom to 'Ohana while you can, That's my advice.
Thank you for your heartfelt recollection.

I also haven't been to 50's in a LONG time, but used to go every visit, and always had a good to great experience. I did have to wait quite a bit past ADR time a lot of times, due to the popularity of it, and others reluctance to leave. :)

I've also always had positive experiences at Hollywood & Vine. Again - last trip was almost 7 years ago.
I haven’t been to 50s in a while but I loved it. Definitely need to try it again.

Here’s the thing guys I wanted to like it so bad and my father in law had such a good experience at sci-fi we knew he’d love this.

Atmosphere was SPOT ON.

The waiter wasn’t in character at all and I thought he would be fun and playful...nothing.

Similarly, the food was cold and basic nothing felt like it has that moms kitchen feel at all. We walked in wanting to love it and was severely dissatisfied and disappointed. The manager totally made it right, but if your not happy say something to management.

If I had this experience at Ohana I’d def tell management nothing happens Unril the powers at be know.

Here’s the thing guys I wanted to like it so bad and my father in law had such a good experience at sci-fi we knew he’d love this.

Atmosphere was SPOT ON.

The waiter wasn’t in character at all and I thought he would be fun and playful...nothing.

Similarly, the food was cold and basic nothing felt like it has that moms kitchen feel at all. We walked in wanting to love it and was severely dissatisfied and disappointed. The manager totally made it right, but if your not happy say something to management.

If I had this experience at Ohana I’d def tell management nothing happens Unril the powers at be know.
That’s unfortunate. Certainly the experience makes that meal. The food wasn’t bad but my family still talks about the server and the things they did with us.

Yeah - I will agree that CM being "in character" TOTALLY makes a difference at 50's for me (and i'm sure for most people). Most of my experiences they were totally into it - some more than others, and a few not, but the food was still so good, and I went with great company, so I still have "good" memories. Funny thing is - one of the most "not in character" meals was when I was bringing a newbie, and wanted to impress them with one of my 'must do" places, so I specifically requested this at the podium, and even said I'd wait for an interactive server, if need be. I TRIED to make the CM even crack a smile, and not act like a robot, but no dice - I still remember it. But again - food was good, company great, and I apologized to my newbie a jillion times. She/I have been back/had a much more interactive CM several times since then, so it's all good. :)

But when were those two experiences?
In the last 12 months? The last 6 months?
That seems to be the timeframe in which this rushing has been happening.

Last time i went was August 2017, and it was right on fireworks time.
Thinking back, as a table of 4 adults, all consuming adult cocktails, we did get kind of rushed through. I think we had our starters before our drinks.
Luckily enough, we ate what we wanted and then ended the long night at Trader Sam's and had a great time, but in hindsight, yeah, we got rushed a bit.

But when were those two experiences?
In the last 12 months? The last 6 months?
That seems to be the timeframe in which this rushing has been happening.

Last time i went was August 2017, and it was right on fireworks time.
Thinking back, as a table of 4 adults, all consuming adult cocktails, we did get kind of rushed through. I think we had our starters before our drinks.
Luckily enough, we ate what we wanted and then ended the long night at Trader Sam's and had a great time, but in hindsight, yeah, we got rushed a bit.
---------------
@Princess Jes it's nice to meet you! My last 'Ohana meal was in October or November 2017. We may also want to consider that not all people who receive bad service are good customers. Respect and courtesy is a two way transaction. For me there is a red flag in the 'Ohana story. The idea that someone would begin a transaction by saying I've heard you rush people and I don't want to be rushed makes the story seem specious.

I wouldn't tell a waiter that. I would say I'm looking forward to this meal, thank you!

it's nice to meet you!
And you!! Welcome!

My last 'Ohana meal was in October or November 2017. We may also want to consider that not all people who receive bad service are good customers. Respect and courtesy is a two way transaction. For me there is a red flag in the 'Ohana story. The idea that someone would begin a transaction by saying I've heard you rush people and I don't want to be rushed makes the story seem specious.

I wouldn't tell a waiter that. I would say I'm looking forward to this meal, thank you!
In isolation, perhaps.
But as Pete mentioned, this isn't a once off occurrence.
This is being reported by many people, not just one or even two.

I understand your love and loyalty to the Poly and all things within, but i think it's naive to think that people are blowing this out of proportion or that its simply not true, especially given your last visit to Ohana was over a year and a half ago (as was mine).
Sometimes the things we love, arent as great as we think them to be or remember them to be.

My primary issue with 50's is that it just takes forever. Not sure I've ever had a slower experience at a WDW restaurant. And I don't think it can be blamed on any one element....everything just seemed to drag.

By the time the meal was over, it felt like I'd experienced the 50's, 60's, AND 70's.

I love 50’s Prime Time. I try to get there every trip...even if just a stop in the lounge for a drink and maybe an appetizer. I’ve always had good experiences (food, service, theming).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!