For those who joined with a doubting spouse

After joining - does your Spouse now:

• Think the DVC Purchase was Fantastic?

• Could have done or done without DVC?

• Makes your life miserable because of DVC?

Results are only viewable after voting.

bom_noite

<font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006:
We see so many posts regarding: "Help - how do I convince my Husband/Wife" posts. I know I was in that boat! I tried to convince my wife for 3 years. We finally bought in when my father passed away - and - I explained to her it was the one way I would like to use the small windfall we recieved!

At 3 years in my wife is now a huge DVC supporter. I am just curious about others.

My hubby was totally skeptical........Until he watched the DVD!

We all sat down as a family & watched it & his eyes filled up with tears (though he'll never admit it). After watching that, he immediately started trying to figure out how many points we needed.

His attitude towards Add-ons have been a little bit different. He was fine with the first 2, but after that, he was a tougher cookie to crack. After I planned our June trip, he saw the cost of the room that we had booked and then realized that the money would be put to better use if we bought more points. :smooth:

The first time we took the kids to Disney I was miserable. Eating fast food all week because the boys didn't like the good restaurants. Having to stay in a dark, quiet room so they could nap. Pretty much just having no personal space. DH loves DW. I told him the only way I was taking the boys back on a regular basis was if we bought DVC. The first year, we took his mom, he was so happy that we could do something so nice for her. Four months later we bought more points. When we planned a last minute trip last April, we had to spend the first two nights at Coronado Springs. We were sitting in the room when he told me he was a DVC snob and only wanted to stay in one bedrooms from now on. :banana: :banana:

DH had "been there, done that," so I was going to WDW solo. (Well, he did say he didn't care how often I went--as long as he didn't have to go! What's a girl to do?!?) ;)

After staying in mostly deluxe hotels, I looked at DVC. He finally decided it made sense FOR ME to join! My trips=my DVC! :cool1: This was 5 years ago.
NOW--he has his own AP! He goes on DCL cruises with me! :boat: He wears Mickey ties to work! ::MickeyMo He loves both of our "homes"--the BWV and BCV. He is talking about adding on sometime in the future, so when he retires (I already am!), we can spend even more time there! :cloud9:

A true conversion!! :yay:

My DF was with me all the way after I explained the accomodations and cost over time. Once he understood why I thought it was a good idea, he said okay and wrote the check :teeth:

mom2rb said:
The first year, we took his mom, he was so happy that we could do something so nice for her.

We routinely take my Mother In Law - who loves WDW but simply cannot afford such trips! It makes me very proud we can provide for her in this way!

In another post I said that I am terrible in that My Family has never been told about the DVC - but - they have the means to enjoy such a vacation if they wanted to! My wifes side does not - so - I get great satisfaction in helping them!

mom2rb said:
When we planned a last minute trip last April, we had to spend the first two nights at Coronado Springs. We were sitting in the room when he told me he was a DVC snob and only wanted to stay in one bedrooms from now on. :banana: :banana:

My wifes opinion on DVC changed 30 seconds after she stepped foot in to our first OKW 1-Bedroom. I remember her quote to this day: "Ok, Ok, this will work!"

My dh does not enjoy traveling the way that I enjoy traveling. He will go on trips with me twice a year but he enjoys knowing that I am in a safe, fun environment when traveling solo to Disneyworld. He will go for 10 days to two weeks once a year so I really can't complain. ;)

Whenever we take other family members to Disneyworld he loves those trips because he knows that they would never take their children to DW due to the expense. His other brothers and sisters are all beach people. :confused3

When we first purchased in 2002 my wife had a take it or leave it attitude.

But now, every year, she states "This is the best/most relaxing vacation I have ever had." She now loves DVC. :thumbsup2

For the record, I was the one who didn't want to do it--my DH went off to the presentation a 7:30 am without me, and then cajoled me to come back with him. We don't argue a lot, but I started a fight with him in the sales office trying to get him to "realize" what a bad idea it was. He prevailed and I'm happy he did. That was 2001 and I haven't looked back, and given the right circumstances, I always encourage others to do it too.

Joanne

Doug / Chikie - cannot tell you how how good it is too know I was not the only Husband pushing this thing!

MdmMim said:
DH had "been there, done that," so I was going to WDW solo. (Well, he did say he didn't care how often I went--as long as he didn't have to go! What's a girl to do?!?) ;)

After staying in mostly deluxe hotels, I looked at DVC. He finally decided it made sense FOR ME to join! My trips=my DVC! :cool1: This was 5 years ago.
NOW--he has his own AP! He goes on DCL cruises with me! :boat: He wears Mickey ties to work! ::MickeyMo He loves both of our "homes"--the BWV and BCV. He is talking about adding on sometime in the future, so when he retires (I already am!), we can spend even more time there! :cloud9:

A true conversion!! :yay:
Sounds like my DH! A few months ago, he bought his first AP. I swear-I never would have thought I'd see that! He recommends DVC to others, has a DVC members tag on his laptop that he takes on all his business trips, wears his DVC Members jacket. I've snuck in the living room to find him sitting there watching Disney movies and when there's a Travel Channel show on about Disney, I'll look up and find he's tiptoed into the living room to watch it. I think he's becoming a Disney fan, but he doesn't admit it.

My husband was a skeptic because we're eligible to stay at Shades of Green through the military for approx. $70/night. As hard as I tried to convince him, he just couldn't get past that. Well when he was deployed to Iraq last year he finally relented as a way to cheer me up ;)

He took his first DVC trip for his welcome home celebration in January, and promptly asked me to do an add-on at VWL. :teeth:

My husband said "NO" after touring in 1993, and in 1998! And every time the subject came in between and since 1998, he's said no way. In fairness to my DH, he couldn't rationalize spending the $ on DVC when his parents owned at Westgate in Orlando and let us use their week any time we wanted - since they never used it. So we were able to use that twice, and trade out to two other Orlando resorts twice. Everytime I pointed out to him how much of a pain it was to be off property, how much time we lost in the parks, having to travel back and forth. How LOST we'd get on the roads, etc.

I got "lucky" this last time because the place we stayed in had the WORST beds we'd ever slept in - and was really run down! :cool1: So I made my move....and that made my argument SOOOO much easier when we toured SSR! DH likes to be treated nicely...and he'll spend the $ to get the better stuff. It was a fairly simple play, seriously. I think he even figured out this time that I was manipulating him, but he let me do it. We played the game, danced the dance...and in the end, signed the papers before going to the airport.

Oh...that was 2/1/06...this past weekend, we told our guide we wanted to add on 130 more points. Am I good or what?

And now I can do the dance of joy because when we leave Disney now, my DH can't say "we're NEVER coming back again" to me....I KNOW I'M GOING BACK - WHENEVER I WANT :cheer2:

I don't know where to start my story :confused3 DH and I have been going to WDW since we got married, but now he doesn't want to go anymore. I had to beg and force him to go on a couple of the trips and we only went because of sales for Military personnel. We were supposed to go when he came back from Iraq and he flatly refused forcing me to cancel reservations and plane tickets (ouch!) Well he finally agreed to do DVC because he wants to use points to go to the Disneylands (CA, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong) I do not have any interest in going overseas anymore, we've lived over there and now I want to stay in the U.S. In compromise we will be using our points for the first time this summer in DL CA. He still doesn't want to go to WDW and told me to go by myself, not really very fun with three small children! I just hope that after I force him (again) to go to WDW next summer for Star Wars weekends he'll change his mind and want to go more often.

Okay, long winded, I know, but I just had to get that off my chest :rotfl2:

bom_noite said:
Doug / Chikie - cannot tell you how how good it is too know I was not the only Husband pushing this thing!

Same here. I had the whole strategy down to get my DW on board, convince her to take the tour with promises that we'd take time to consider it and not purchase on the spot. Once we took the tour, she was sold. We only bought enough points to go every other year in a 2BR (she thought going every year would get old). I'm hoping that when we take our first trip home this fall that the add-on bug will hit.

My DH is a skeptic. However, he has a friend who suggested that we rent points at DVC so that is what we are doing. I am secretly hoping that when we get down there, he will see how much better the rooms are and want to buy in! I doubt it, but I can hope!

I knew my husband wasnt very interested. By some miracle of God he agreed to talk to DVC on our second trip there. He knew going in that if he was going to sign up, it would have to be done while we were there. (We live in Nebraska and there is a law preventing us from buying or them from selling to us if the paperwork is done in Nebraska....long story). In any event, he went, asked his questions and the next day he told me he thought it was good deal financially. It was very important for him to feel like he was in the lead on this. ( :rotfl2: ) So, I did my best to make him feel he was running the show....all a part of my master plan.... :teeth:

Another hubby here who had to convince DW to join. I remember it was our 3rd trip in Dec. 2000 when I started asking questions during our stay at All Star Sports. Went back to the room, told DW about it, and it fell on deaf ears. So when we got home, I called DVC, got the video and info, and we began crunching #s.

After much deliberation, we talked ourselves out of it. Trip in Oct 01 for 10 days at All Stars brought subject back up. In Dec 01, during Christmas, we finally made the purchase. This time, I was persistent :thumbsup2 Told DW I would work extra hrs, whatever it takes to buy in :stir: . She begrudingly signed her name.

Jump to Apr 02. Guide calls, tells us VWL pts are bout gone, good time to do add-on before they are all gone. So begrudingly again she signs her name. Mind you, we have never used the 1st pt for a trip, never even seen the place we bought.

Jump forward to Mar 04. During trip to OKW, DW says it sure would be nice to have more pts. So we decide 50 more would be nice. We get home, I call guide who informs me they just got 130 VWL pts available but they wont have them long. I hang up, call DW, and hardly she blinks an eye, and says "Why not get all 130"?

I have created a DVC monster!! And I love her for it :cloud9:

You know, the kicker to our story? We always stayed at the BC/YC and that is where we were staying when my husband went off to the first DVC meeting w/o me and DD, then 2-1/2. So it wasn't like we weren't spending the $ at a deluxe anyway. How smart was he and how silly was I being? Jeez.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter