For those who take their children out of school to go on a WDW vacation...

Last year I took my first grade daughter out of school for 5.5 days. I was so nervous about doing it that I told the school office that I would never do it again. I explained that I was not thinking when I booked the trip. Anyway, shortly after our trip a notice came home stating policy on school absence.

DD was very diligent about finishing her work (homework and class work) and did so within two days of our return (school policy is not to give any work out for the vacation).

A few months later I was considering taking her out of school for a long weekend trip to Seattle, Washington. I asked her teacher, basically for permission, and this was her response: I encourage families to be together and to take vacations and experience new things.

I couldn’t believe my ears. All along, I thought she was upset with me, I guess it was just the school office.

Last thoughts - after getting back and dd taking a math test on new material, she got a 78%. The lowest grade she ever got. (I guess I would not be a good home-school parent.) Anyway, does she still have a future at Harvard? Yah. Did she recover from the 78% and forget about it? Yah. Will she forget one of the best trips ever? Nope. Did I book another trip for this school year? ABSOLUTELY!!!

Life is too short. Enjoy each other. My husband works too much, so these trips are necessary and I would not trade them for the world. (no pun intended!)

hi, I have taken my kids out of school to go on vacation since they were young. There are two things I do before I book it. 1, check when they have those lovely state tests and 2, always go the beginning of the making period so they have plently of time to make up any lost work. This seems to work for us. Good luck. The parks are alot more fun without the lines.

This seems to come up quite often on these boards. If interested there was a very good thread about this in about June or so, as I recall. Here in AZ we have a charter school system. My son will be entering kindergarten in the fall 2003 so as I am looking at schools I am asking the question about taking him out for a vacation. What I have found is that many do not have a problem with it as long as the parent is involved in helping the student before and after the trip. In fact, a couple of them now call it an educational sabbatical and have you fill out a form.

Both my DH and I hold teaching certificates in several states so we are very much aware of the educational system. I strongly believe that family vacations are VERY important to children and that time can not be replaced so I always encourage people to enjoy that time and go. You will find, however, some in education who would strongly advise against it. A matter of preferene, I guess. Timing is crucial though and it is important that when it comes to state tests and beginning/end of semester that you are sensitive to these issues - especially in high school. But, other than that, you are the parent and I encourage you to do what is right for your family. Only you know that.

we have taken our kids out of school for 1 week in he past and plan o do so again this dec. they are in preschool,2nd,5th,and 7th. I spoke with the principal at the end of last year and I write letters to the teachers..I have found that every teacher is different but most are more than willing to help out. Last rip we got the work he week before and they did 1 or 2 papers per night with their normal work and had a good chunk done before we even left!
I think if your kids get good grades(mine are all honor students) and don't miss school regularly there should be no problem:smooth:

I will be taking my daughter, 13- 8th grad and my son 11- 6th grade out of school for our 2 week trip to WDW. I have spoken to my sons teacher and he will have no work to take down or do when we get back. All he has to do is tell his class about the trip. We are going to see alot of the stuff at Epcot as he is learning about the human body and that will go along with that. Now my daughter has a couple teachers and I have let them all know we are going. She really doesn't have anything to take down except for a book to read. Basicly she is to do a journal about her trip with some pics. The one teacher said she might give her a test on WDW when she gets back.

Our school district is fairly laid back. They let the trip be fun and educational. and there is much about WDW that is both.

Looks like I need to move. Our school system is anal about missing any time. It states in our handbook--Out of town is not excused. They are going to miss a week the end of Sept. This is only the 2nd time I have taken them out of school for a vacation. I feel if the kids have good grades and attend school regularly whats the big deal.

We have taken our DKidz out of school twice for a week in January and will do so again this January. It will be harder this time as 2 of my 5 are in Middle School and the policy is a lot stricter. This will be the last time we go off season like this with all 5 because once in High School they suspend them for missing school for a vacation, I have been told. Prior to this all of my kids teachers have been great about giving homework, journals, etc. We did it piecemeal a little at a time. Great for the plane ride and in between times. We went for 11 days last time and will again this time so that we can really have a great last fling with all of them. I would advise that you do watch what teacher gives. One year we did get dumped on by a teacher, more homework than DS would do even in a year, ugh! When I asked about it, she said she was not sure what she would be doing and he ended up almost 3 weeks ahead of his class. This is a great family trip and as most of the teachers said, enjoy, have fun, and make memories!

Faith trust, and pixie dust to you!

I seems that it should be easier to spend a nice, quality vacation with our families. My kids attend a parochial school, and they will not give out the homework ahead of time, so as to discourage us from taking them out. Hasn't stopped us yet!!! Like a previous poster stated, her DH works hard -- that is my DH's philosophy. He works very hard all year long and this is where he likes to spend his vacation. He, however, would not like to go there if we had to spend it with the majority of the population in the summer time when there is no school!

In these such uncertain times, I say go for it, have a good time, and don't think twice about taking your children out. Once they are back in school, and move on you'll realize you did the right thing! Life is too short enjoy it while you can.

Our school system is also very strict, considering vacations unexcused absences. They ask us to sign a paper at the beginning of the school year that states that we understand this rule. I balk at signing it however DH happily signs and returns it much to DS' relief. :rolleyes:

But, at least the school gives the kids several breaks so we have time during off season to go to WDW if we wish to. And since my and DH's vacation time is flexible, it's hard to justify taking DS out during school days.

More power to those of you with easy-going school systems!

My parents have taken me out of school to go to Disney several times. Before we left for our trip, I got some of the work that I would miss, and did it on th way down there and on the way back. Honestly, I don't really think that it is a bad idea to take your child out of school for a Disney vacation if they show that they will really try to catch up on thier work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter