Fort Wilderness (and general camping) Etiquette

jdpeagle

Earning My Ears
Good afternoon, fellow Disney and FW aficionados. We are frequent Fort campers, and longtime WDW annual pass holders. We have been visiting the Fort for more than 36 years, and we have amassed more stays that I would care to admit.

In recent years, there has been a rise in younger families (of which I am among) and new couples acquiring RVs (trailers and motorhomes). This has boded well for the industry and amenities being offered to these groups, but it has added a large population of “newbie” campers who could benefit from some pointers.

Many of us view the Fort as a respite retreat from the crowds and chaos of the theme parks. Not only is it the largest of the Disney resorts (in acreage), it is the least congested (person per square foot). If you are here to research your first camping trip to the Fort, you are in for an AMAZING and memory-filled trip. Here are a few basic tips for campground (especially the Fort) etiquette so that this resort remains the BEST in WDW!

1. Turn off your lights
Although we might leave our porch lights on at all hours at home, our “mobile” neighbors (and tents) won’t appreciate your blinding LED displays while they’re trying to sleep. I have had Fort neighbors who placed more lights on their campsite than a 5,000 foot runway. NEVER position a spotlight or laser display at another campsite/trailer/motorhome. While I appreciate your creativeness in Disney decorating, I also appreciate the sleep (for me and my kids). The second word in the resort’s name should be reflective of what you encounter: Wilderness.​

2. Keep the noise down
Almost all RVs come with an outdoor entertainment center/TV. Just because you have it, doesn’t mean you need to personally host the nightly “movie under the stars.” Keep the volume down, and your neighbors will GREATLY appreciate it.​

3. Follow the traffic patterns
This is a pretty loose rule for human-powered vehicles (bikes, scooters, etc.), but it DEFINITELY applies to golf carts and cars. All loops are one-way traffic… just because you might not have doors doesn’t mean you are immune from traffic laws/rules.​

4. Fires
The Fort is quite explicit with the approved types of fire pits (all require spark arrestors and solid tops. I have seen some campsites (with 94º outdoor temperatures) with a 6-foot bonfire and smoking out three loops. Don’t be that guy. Not only are you needlessly burning enough wood to build a Habitat for Humanity home, you are putting many families, and their property, at risk. You paid a lot of money for the first-class Fort amenities; use them. The nightly campfire programs are fantastic, and no need to lose your eyebrows.
5. Do NOT cut through campsites
Would you walk through a stranger's hotel room to get to the bus stop? NO! Treat other campsites as someone else's home/yard, and do not walk/scoot/bike through it. This is incredibly disrespectful, rude and downright un-Disney.​

6. Be Respectful
This is the bottom line. Unlike other campgrounds that you might frequent, EVERYONE at the Fort is there to have a good and magical time. Some of us are trying our best to maintain sanity with small children, and some are adoring and reflecting on past generations and family memories. Respect the struggling parent slowing down the Meadows Trading Post check-out line while their five-year old decides to select every item on the magnet wall. Show patience to the ten-year old who can’t quite get their marshmallow perfectly charred at the campfire. Do what you can to spread a little magic, and a little less grief.​

What other etiquette pointers do you have?

Last edited:
We spend a lot of time at the Fort and find most campers are very respectful of others. The ones who are not will not respect others no matter what anyone posts.

As goes the breakdown of civility in today society, so goes the courtesy of many campers, especially the weekend warriors.

Feed the squirrels!

Don't setup camp in the dark, especially between the hours of 10PM and 5AM.

I don't mind the pets, just keep them quiet.

I don't mind the kids, but keep them quiet too.

Don't idle your vehicle with your headlights pointing into someone else's site. (Morons...)

1. Turn off your lights

Agree about the large outside lights and displays. But, I do leave my porch light on at night.​

2. Keep the noise down

Agreed, but I will use my TV outside with the volume down.​

3. Follow the traffic patterns

I'll ride my bike or drive my golf cart either direction. I will be respectful of car/truck traffic though.​

4. Fires

I'm a campfire guy. 99% of my trips I'l have a fire. But, not at FW for sure.

This just doesn't bother me unless the same person or group does it repeatedly. I only rent the lot, I don't own it. Some just don't know better.​

6. Be Respectful

Agreed.​

What other etiquette pointers do you have?

Don't be a fuddy duddy and/or a rules nazi. Live and laugh a little :-)

I don't mind the kids, but keep them quiet too.

Haha... no. It's Disney. The kids run this place.

I do leave my porch light on at night.

That's obnoxious and completely unnecessary. But thanks for imposing your desire to illuminate the world onto your neighbors. I'm sure it's (not) appreciated.
I'll ride my bike or drive my golf cart either direction.

Thank you for clearly placing yourself in the category that "rules don't apply to me."

This just doesn't bother me unless the same person or group does it repeatedly. I only rent the lot, I don't own it. Some just don't know better.

Hence this post. You should know better. This is "Basic Camping Etiquette 101." If you're an offender, and you haven't yet, you will encounter resistance and confrontations in the future.

Don't be a fuddy duddy and/or a rules nazi. Live and laugh a little :-)

Not sure what you're getting at here, but if you're implying that bad conduct and etiquette should simply be accepted in order to avoid being viewed as a "fuddy duddy," then you might be part of the problem. Be courteous so that everyone can enjoy themselves; not just you.

This post was not intended to create *******. Some honestly want to know what proper etiquette is within a campground (and Fort Wilderness in particular). Those folks will likely reference this forum. I only wanted to add a few of the basics to help them avoid the awkward exchanges with campground neighbors.

Happy camping!

Last edited:

This just doesn't bother me unless the same person or group does it repeatedly. I only rent the lot, I don't own it. Some just don't know better.​

:-)

It does bother me. I like my space. That's one reason I rent a site for myself. I'm supposed to get my own yard as well as my own camper.

It was nice of jdpeagle to post common campground courtesies. Some of us are new; I've only owned my TT for a little over a year. Some will choose to be respectful once informed.

Not sure what you're getting at here, but if you're implying that bad conduct and etiquette should simply be accepted in order to avoid being viewed as a "fuddy duddy," then you might be part of the problem. Be courteous so that everyone can enjoy themselves; not just you.

Wow, you made my point. Don't be too judgmental.

Lol, if having movie night at the camper, invite the neighbors! Kids will be kids and ,unfortunately i can see extra stress in a disney campground. Cutting through sites, is frowned upon, especially if the site owner has a not so freindly dog on a leash. Im not into feeding wildlife, no good can come of it. And , you can get a motion solar light for the outside of the door, that way you can have light if you need to go to the comfort station.

And dont be this guy! I take large cable cutters with me camping now......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!