Fort Wilderness (and general camping) Etiquette

Is it mostly the tent sites with overcrowded comfort stations, or do people in the other loops do this also?

I have wondered this myself. We have only stayed in the tent loops, so not sure. Since we are there often, and don't care about getting to the parks early, I have taken to just sleeping in until 9 or 10:00 am and then going to get a shower and use the comfort stations. By that time, the masses have cleared out. Thankfully, we have a bathroom in our pop up, so I don't have to use the comfort stations at peak times.

I think Disney should have a "camping etiquette class"
Though not a Disney thing we joined a Coleman Pop Up Group years ago, our first trip out we were met by two of the more expreienced members. They helped me setup and few other things about our Pop up, but they also gave me a hand out about camping etiquette and some of their groups suggestions and requirements. Being new I wasn't offended, but I wish so many times that others had received the same "lecture" and handout that I was given.

Is it mostly the tent sites with overcrowded comfort stations, or do people in the other loops do this also?

The comfort stations are only crowded for short periods so it's only a bit of a pain if you are caught up in the morning rush or maybe late when people get back from the parks and are showering. We stay mostly in tent sites and much more often than not, the comfort stations are totally uncrowded. At worst, if there is a line for the shower, I go back to my site and sit around for 10 or 15 min. If you are going to want to do the makeup and hair drying in the mornings at the comfort station, then, give yourself an extra 15 min. just in case there are others with the same idea.

I would just guess the full hook up sites have less crowded confert stations. Just the nature of the beast, there rigs all have bathrooms and showers, even if a few in the party went to use the cs , its still less then all of them. The last campground i went to we got a full hook up for our pop up, the cs were deserted by us. We were also dwarfed by the other rvs, but who cares. The tent campers on the other side of the park were crowded. The pool shared one cs. It was mobbed. Having your own private bathroom and shower was ok by us.

I would just guess the full hook up sites have less crowded confert stations. Just the nature of the beast, there rigs all have bathrooms and showers, even if a few in the party went to use the cs , its still less then all of them. The last campground i went to we got a full hook up for our pop up, the cs were deserted by us. We were also dwarfed by the other rvs, but who cares. The tent campers on the other side of the park were crowded. The pool shared one cs. It was mobbed. Having your own private bathroom and shower was ok by us.
Sometimes they are less crowded but other times there are groups of well over 10 staying on one site and it tends to overwhelm the comfort station. I have seen it many times over the years.

We do have a full bath in our camper and we do use it at times, but I am usually up around 5:00 am every day. Built in alarm clock for work that doesn't shut off for vacation. Lol. I do wish i was able to sleep in. I am usually walking to the CS at 5:30 with coffee in hand and I rarely run into another person. I have seen people lined up for the showers a little later.

We do have a full bath in our camper and we do use it at times, but I am usually up around 5:00 am every day. Built in alarm clock for work that doesn't shut off for vacation. Lol. I do wish i was able to sleep in. I am usually walking to the CS at 5:30 with coffee in hand and I rarely run into another person. I have seen people lined up for the showers a little later.

My built in alarm goes off around 10:00 am :tongue: I rarely have to deal with crowds at that time, either.

I've never been inside a CS, the closet I've been, was when they had the coin op ice machines outside the CS, we've always used our on board bathrooms and W/D

If I wasn't on the tent/pop up loops, I would use my own bathroom exclusively as well. Having a washer/dryer is a bit much to ask of a pop up camper. :smooth:

As much of a nice luxury as it sounds, I actually ENJOY using the laundry at Fort Wilderness and state parks here in Florida. I've met so many great people and had great conversations that I wouldn't have otherwise had.

It's funny that you have used the ice machines. I would think a rig with a washer/dryer would surely never be in need of ice. :upsidedow I have even considered an ice maker for our pop up. If it didn't take up so much space, we would already have one. I don't care for the ice at the comfort stations, it's too watery. We usually get ours at the Meadows, especially since we are typically right across from it.

One of these days, I'm going to get spendy and stay on a full hook up loop!! I always say that, and always back out of spending the extra money. Maybe someday! :love:

It's funny that you have used the ice machines. I would think a rig with a washer/dryer would surely never be in need of ice. ! :love:[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize the Ice Machines were still in service, we have a residential fridge w/ice maker. Years ago we bought one of those portable ice makers, trouble is, if you're not there to empty it in the Florida heat, it melts as fast as it makes it. I always left it outside, I don't like leaving running appliances in the RV with our extremely curious/smart dog

I've never been inside a CS, the closet I've been, was when they had the coin op ice machines outside the CS, we've always used our on board bathrooms and W/D

Will have to add 'us also'! One of the reasons we have our own mh with private bed, bath, kitchen. Why would we want to use a public restroom, be it ever so nice? Are we that unusual? Sure works for us though. To each their own.

Will have to add 'us also'! One of the reasons we have our own mh with private bed, bath, kitchen. Why would we want to use a public restroom, be it ever so nice? Are we that unusual? Sure works for us though. To each their own.

Having a pop up, I'm always lured by the lower price of the tent loops. Even with our little camper, if i was in full hook-ups, I would never see the inside of a comfort station. I would use the washer/dryer though. I don't ever anticipate owning a rig that has those. But then again, we're not getting any younger, so who knows ....

Having a pop up, I'm always lured by the lower price of the tent loops. Even with our little camper, if i was in full hook-ups, I would never see the inside of a comfort station. I would use the washer/dryer though. I don't ever anticipate owning a rig that has those. But then again, we're not getting any younger, so who knows ....

I agree with using the washer/dryer at nice facilities if we were gone long enough. I do not want a w/d in our mh - would not be used enough to take space that I can use otherwise.
For the 10-14 days that we are away, we bring enough clothes without taking time to do laundry. Doesn't bother me to do that easily at home afterwards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!