Fort Wilderness Cabins and Car Rentals

advonyjohnson

Earning My Ears
Hi

We are staying at the fort wilderness cabins and have a car rental. Is there any reason we should consider taking the transportation system to and from any parks?
i.e. I think we may want to take the boat service to the contemporary then jump on the monorail to MK rather than treck the miles and get on the "MK boat"

i.e. I think we may want to take the boat service to the contemporary then jump on the monorail to MK rather than treck the miles and get on the "MK boat"
I don't understand your thinking there:
  1. The MK boat & the CR boat leave from the same dock at FtW.
  2. The monorail from CR to MK takes about 20 minutes.
  3. You can walk from CR to MK in about 10 minutes.
The only time there'd be a reason to take the boat to CR instead of MK would be if you were going to an early breakfast or tour, as the MK boats starts running about 30-60 minutes before park opening while the CR boat starts at 6:45am. And then you'd probably want to walk rather than ride the monorail (if the monorail were even running at that time.)

I don't understand your thinking there:
  1. The MK boat & the CR boat leave from the same dock at FtW.
  2. The monorail from CR to MK takes about 20 minutes.
  3. You can walk from CR to MK in about 10 minutes.
The only time there'd be a reason to take the boat to CR instead of MK would be if you were going to an early breakfast or tour, as the MK boats starts running about 30-60 minutes before park opening while the CR boat starts at 6:45am. And then you'd probably want to walk rather than ride the monorail (if the monorail were even running at that time.)

I saw a transportation you tube video about the fact that MK is a long process to get into when you drive/rent a car i.e. a mile away from the entrance etc... so I saw that there was a boat from Fort Wilderness to the Contemporary and from the Contemporary we could grab the monorail to MK. I haven't been to Disney in many many years so basically I was wondering for those that rent cars for the trip do you ever find a need to use the buses, boats etc... or do you just drive yourself to each park?

From campground, taking the bus then boat is probably the best option to MK. There is a boat from FW to MK so I don't know why you would bring the Contemporary and Monorail into it. Especially since many at Contemporary walk to MK.

At campground we did the boat to MK and drove to all other parks. It was easier, faster and way more comfortable, especially at peak times.

I saw a transportation you tube video about the fact that MK is a long process to get into when you drive/rent a car i.e. a mile away from the entrance etc... so I saw that there was a boat from Fort Wilderness to the Contemporary and from the Contemporary we could grab the monorail to MK. I haven't been to Disney in many many years so basically I was wondering for those that rent cars for the trip do you ever find a need to use the buses, boats etc... or do you just drive yourself to each park?
I'm thinking you didn't know that there is also a boat from FtW directly to MK. There's a separate boat to CR & Wilderness Lodge. So there's no need to take a boat to CR; just get on the boat to MK at the FtW dock --unless you're leaving FtW before the boat to MK starts running. The boat to CR starts running earlier in the morning. But as I said previously, it's a long ride from CR to MK on the monorail, as it goes the long way around the loop and makes 3 stops before getting to MK. It would be faster to take the boat to CR and just walk to MK, along the wide path that runs between the two.

So when you referred to the boat to MK, you apparently meant the Ferryboat from TTC (the MK parking lot.) There is also an express monorail from TTC to MK. Yes, it can take a while to get from your car in the MK lot to the park. In addition to the ferryboat or monorail, you may also have to wait for the parking lot tram, depending on how far out you get parked. And also, you can't drive in a straight line from FtW to the MK parking lot; you have to make a big circle past Epcot.

FYI, in case you didn't know, you will need to take a bus from your cabin to the boat dock or bus depot. The boat dock (Settlement) and bus depot (Outpost) are at opposite ends of the campground. Almost all of the cabins are closer to the Outpost; you might be close enough to walk comfortably to the bus depot, but the walk to the boat dock would be about a mile. (That is, unless you luck into one of the very few "VIP" cabins near the Settlement; I'm not even sure whether those cabins still exist and are rented to Guests.) The Outpost has buses to Epcot, AK, DHS, & Disney Springs, but no buses to MK. The Settlement has boats to MK, CR, and WL, as well as a bus to WL.

To sum up, yes, it would usually be faster to drive to any of the parks except MK, but taking the bus to the Settlement & the boat to MK might be faster than driving.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter