Fort Wilderness Cabins

lovewdwfun

Mouseketeer
Can anyone tell me about the accessible Cabins at Fort Wilderness? We are going for the first time with my son who has Down syndrome and is a RUNNER. We also have a baby. We typically put them in the double stroller in our hotel room and then leave. I just realized the cabins at Fort Wilderness have steps, which make it more difficult. I was thinking of requesting an accessible cabin, BUT my son can’t use showers. Are there any accessible cabins with baths? Thanks!

I don’t believe so. But it wouldn’t hurt to call and ask. Could you also just have the double stroller ready at the bottom of the stairs. And bring him right to it?

Can anyone tell me about the accessible Cabins at Fort Wilderness? We are going for the first time with my son who has Down syndrome and is a RUNNER. We also have a baby. We typically put them in the double stroller in our hotel room and then leave. I just realized the cabins at Fort Wilderness have steps, which make it more difficult. I was thinking of requesting an accessible cabin, BUT my son can’t use showers. Are there any accessible cabins with baths? Thanks!
with a runner remember that the bed room also has a door which can be opened from the inside and I do not think it can be locked from the inside where runner can not open it. the shower/tub issues was why we did not have an accessible cabin last trip

There are "Florida Special" Cabins, which I believe should have a tub/shower combo.

But, @Betty Rohrer is right - every Cabin has a "back door" in the bedroom. There is an inside lock if I remember correctly (it's been a day or two LOL) but I don't remember if both doors have, for example, a chain lock or a slide over deadbolt lock separate from the standard hotel room style locks.

How does your little runner do when it's time to get on and off the bus? At Fort Wilderness, you will have to take an "internal" bus from the stop closest to your Loop (the little road that your Cabin is on) up to the front where you will change buses to leave the Fort and go to the Parks, the water parks, Disney Springs, etc. Adding an extra bus transfer every time you leave (or return) is something to consider when planning a stay at the Fort, especially for the grown-ups. :)

There are "Florida Special" Cabins, which I believe should have a tub/shower combo.

But, @Betty Rohrer is right - every Cabin has a "back door" in the bedroom. There is an inside lock if I remember correctly (it's been a day or two LOL) but I don't remember if both doors have, for example, a chain lock or a slide over deadbolt lock separate from the standard hotel room style locks.

How does your little runner do when it's time to get on and off the bus? At Fort Wilderness, you will have to take an "internal" bus from the stop closest to your Loop (the little road that your Cabin is on) up to the front where you will change buses to leave the Fort and go to the Parks, the water parks, Disney Springs, etc. Adding an extra bus transfer every time you leave (or return) is something to consider when planning a stay at the Fort, especially for the grown-ups. :)
I know one daughter was woken up one night by older child after her runner had opened bedroom ran out it. she was never able to lock from inside. outside was locked but I am guessing for safety the door must be able to be opened from inside without having to unlock. hers did not have a chain or bar on bedroom door like hotel room

have a granddaughter who thought the extra bus was an extra "Park" ride and cried when she couldn't ride one of the buses home to Pa.

have a granddaughter who thought the extra bus was an extra "Park" ride and cried when she couldn't ride one of the buses home to Pa.

What a little sweetheart! LOL I kinda get it though - I love riding the buses around at WDW, if for no other reason than *I* get to look out the windows, and see everything! I never get to sight-see when I'm driving, so it's kind of treat for me too! :)

What a little sweetheart! LOL I kinda get it though - I love riding the buses around at WDW, if for no other reason than *I* get to look out the windows, and see everything! I never get to sight-see when I'm driving, so it's kind of treat for me too! :)

And hearing the music change for each destination! I remember staying at Port Orleans French Quarter, and when the banjo music started playing we'd know we were almost there. The fanfare and march as you approach the Magic Kingdom always gives me a thrill.

I've read stories here about parents telling little kids that the Peoplemover was Space Mountain, so they wouldn't realize they were still too short to ride the coaster.

And hearing the music change for each destination! I remember staying at Port Orleans French Quarter, and when the banjo music started playing we'd know we were almost there. The fanfare and march as you approach the Magic Kingdom always gives me a thrill.

I've read stories here about parents telling little kids that the Peoplemover was Space Mountain, so they wouldn't realize they were still too short to ride the coaster.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I found that track on iTunes and bought it! :) In fact, I was able to recreate much of the bus and boat loop music for POFQ; Wilderness Lodge has been a bit tougher, so instead I settled on buying the candle from MapleandWhiskey! Whenever I'm having a bad day, a whiff of that candle, and little time in my favorite rocking chair (dreaming of Disney World, of course!) sets me back on track :)

Thanks everyone! I think we will end up not requesting an accessible cabin and just carry him down the stairs.

Good insight on the second door in the cabin. Luckily for us, for the time being he can’t open most doors. If there is a deadbolt, he won’t be able to get out. I think we will see if we can convince him to sleep in a pack n play in the main room with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!