Fort Wilderness vs Wilderness Lodge (Boulder Ridge)?

maddiegorl

Earning My Ears
Currently have a 5 night trip planned in January with my two adult children. We have never been to Disney World or stayed on property. We are trying to decide between a cabin at Fort Wilderness or a studio at Boulder Ridge. These are our two top options because they both sleep 5, meaning no one has to share a bed. The prices are similar enough that that's not a huge deciding factor. We love the spaciousness and design of the cabin, but worry about inconvenient transportation (we don't plan on renting a gold cart) and missing out on that "Disney" feel. Wilderness Lodge seems more convenient and obviously I suspect the experience is more resort luxurious. However, the Boulder Ridge rooms seem much smaller, don't have a full kitchen, and do seem a little dated. Has anyone stayed at both? I would love to hear about your experiences at either! Thanks so much!

A Ft. Wilderness cabin has much more room. Two different sleeping spaces and a good amount of seating space. You also have a grill outside on the wooden deck. If you drive you have parking space right outside of your cabin. Lots of room to store and prepare you own food items. Ft. Wilderness is quite spread out and you have some private space at your cabin but without driving it does take more time to get to transportation options.

The BR Studio is compact and the 5th sleeper (fold down bed smaller than a twin). It is located right in action of the WL and easy access to the parks. Limited space in a single room to store food and only a microwave. There are a couple of close dining options: 2 in the main lodge currently open. The Roaring Fork for quick serve type food and grab-n-go. The Whispering Canyon Cafe serving B,L & D. The final option is the Geyser Point near the main pool on Bay lake.

Dave

Last edited:
Boulder Ridge is a favorite of ours and trumps the cabins at Fort Wilderness due to all the amenities. There is one queen bed, one sofa bed, and a Murphy bed (large enough for a 6'0" tall adult in the studio.

Last edited:
Boulder Ridge studios (that sleep five, one bedrooms only sleep four) have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa and the bunk sized murphy bed (narrower and shorter than a twin, only slightly bigger than a crib sized mattress). If an adult is intending to sleep on the murphy bed, that person needs to be short and small. I'd never put four adults in a BRV studio. I'd go with a one bedroom at the least, but then you only have one king and one queen sleeper sofa. They won't provide an extra bed for your person who doesn't care to share a bed.

Now if you are considering a Cascade Cabin at Copper Creek Villas (also at WL), that would be excellent for four adults.

These are our two top options because they both sleep 5, meaning no one has to share a bed. The prices are similar enough that that's not a huge deciding factor.
OP stated they are a party of 3.:)
Not really specific since they mentioned both sleep 5. Yes they only mention their two adult children. Maybe they will provide us with some additional feedback to clarify.

Dave

Not really specific since they mentioned both sleep 5. Yes they only mention their two adult children. Maybe they will provide us with some additional feedback to clarify.

Dave
I read it as they are a party of three, but they are looking for a room which sleeps five - which would give them 3 sleeping surfaces.

OP stated they are a party of 3.:)
The OP only mentions 2 adult children and preference for a room for 5 sleeping area guest .
I think the WL/BRV studio was originally designed to sleep 4 and then changed with recent update. The only thing I recall from staying in the older studio was very small bathrooms. Have they been updated ?
Sorry I have never stayed at the FtW cabins but think it would be fun with a gold golf cart

Confused on the murphy bed in the Boulder Ridge studio...one poster says it is large enough for a 6' person and another says it is slightly larger than a crib mattress. Which one is it?

If I’m trying to decide on a resort I get on YouTube and search the resorts to see which we would like better. They have some really good ones showing the rooms and grounds.
I have seen videos of both FW and Boulder Ridge. I just had not interest in FW because it seems like a huge camp grounds.

WL is far superior to FW. Better dining, better atmosphere, better pool. Closer to parks. Basically no contest when you step in the lobbay at WL and look t the massive interior of the lodge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter