found really old Magic Kingdom tickets in my grandpa's house, r they worth anything?

chris4disney

DIS Veteran
My Grandfather past away a week ago and my mom has since been sorting through all the stuff in my grandparents home. They had lived there for over 40+ yrs so you can imagine the collection of stuff... :eek:

Anyways, she came across these two booklets the are some kind of tickets for the Magic Kingdom. It appears that when ever these tickets were issued (can't find a date on them) that there wasn't a charge to get in the park, but you paid for this booklet of small tickets to ride rides catagorized A thru E, I think. I left the tickets in my desk at work, or else I would give exact wording on them. The back of the this booklet has a price of like $6.00 so I know it has to be old!! :rotfl:

Am I correct in that sometime in the past you didn't have to pay to enter the park, but paid for tickets to ride certain rides? Any idea how old these tickets are and if they would be worth anything. :confused3 One booklet has one ticket left, the second booklet has 3 tickets left.

If it helps, I can scan these tickets tomorrow and post them on here. SEE PICS ON POST #14!

Thanks!

If I remember, there was a nominal admission charge to the Magic Kingdom, and additional payment (in tickets labelled "A" thru "E") to ride the rides. It's where we get the expression "E-ticket Attraction."

Collectors might find them desirable. Don't tear out the tickets!

Google "Disney ticket coupon book"

Oh, and sorry to hear about your Grandfather... :(

The "general admission" was via a coupon called the "transportation ticket". You surrendered that when getting on the monorail or ferry. (Hand stamps were used if you wanted to leave the park and come back later.)

A complete book, transportation ticket and all, can be exchanged for a one day base ticket. (or two day base ticket if the original was a two day book, with two transportation tickets.) For a partly used book, the individual ride coupons have trade in value I think the values range from 25 cents to a dollar each.

When Epcot opened, Disney changed to the current "pay one price, unlimited rides that day" ticketing system.

My Grandfather past away a week ago and my mom has since been sorting through all the stuff in my grandparents home. They had lived there for over 40+ yrs so you can imagine the collection of stuff... :eek:

Anyways, she came across these two booklets the are some kind of tickets for the Magic Kingdom. It appears that when ever these tickets were issued (can't find a date on them) that there wasn't a charge to get in the park, but you paid for this booklet of small tickets to ride rides catagorized A thru E, I think. I left the tickets in my desk at work, or else I would give exact wording on them. The back of the this booklet has a price of like $6.00 so I know it has to be old!! :rotfl:

Am I correct in that sometime in the past you didn't have to pay to enter the park, but paid for tickets to ride certain rides? Any idea how old these tickets are and if they would be worth anything. :confused3 One booklet has one ticket left, the second booklet has 3 tickets left.

If it helps, I can scan these tickets tomorrow and post them on here.

Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather :sad1: When the MK first opened you bought a ticket booklet for the rides. E tickets were for thrill rides (space mountain, ect.). Disney collectors would probably be interested in purchasing them. That would be neat if you could scan them :)

I believe they were using these coupon books in 1976. Can't tell you when they started or when they stopped. I remember there were never enough tickets for the good (E) rides, so you would try to convince your parents to buy another booklet even though you still had some tickets left.

If one of your booklets has 1 ticket left, and 1 booklet has 3 tickets left - I bet they aren't the E tickets!

thanks for your input everyone. I'll try to scan them tomorrow for all the other Disney freaks out there that would enjoy looking at them! ;)

I believe they were using these coupon books in 1976. Can't tell you when they started or when they stopped. I remember there were never enough tickets for the good (E) rides, so you would try to convince your parents to buy another booklet even though you still had some tickets left.

If one of your booklets has 1 ticket left, and 1 booklet has 3 tickets left - I bet they aren't the E tickets!

My first trip was in '76, and I know we had them, I too remember bugging mom and dad for extra tickets! We went yearly until we moved to FL, I think in '80 or '81 they went to the choice of all day or tickets, we chose the all day pass, and I remember mom buying a Mickey pin to stick them to our shirts, then eventually all day. Everyone always saved the unused tickets, and then passed them on to friends and family for their trip...I seem to remember there were always A tickets leftover, never any of the "good" ones. :rotfl:

Are they complete booklets? If so, I would be VERY interested in those tickets. You can PM me if you would like. Even a partial book might interest me.

SkierPete

My first trip was in 1979 and the booklets WERE used that year. We made a second trip in 1981 and they WERE NOT in use and we were so relieved because like the PP stated there were never enough E tickets. :confused3

I have a lot of these tickets left too. I have been to Disney every year since I was 3 (since 1974) so I think I have pretty much every evolution of ticket Disney has ever made.

Their tickets never expire so they can be traded in. I did read somewhere that the individual tickets could only be traded if they were in a complete book though (don't know if that is true). But their trade in value would be minimal.
If you want to sell them, I agree that they are more valuable to collectors. You could always check ebay to see if similar items are selling and the prices they are getting.

Or, you could put them in a little frame and hang them on the wall. They make a nice little conversational piece of art.

See http://allears.net/tix/tickethistory.htm - prices and pictures of past tickets.

Might help determine what they are and about when it was purchased.

Thanks for the link!!!! Based on that information and looking at my tickets I think these were from 1975. They are two partial booklets of Adult 8 Adventure Magic Key ticket book (available to Magic Kingdom Club members only) any 8 attractions in the park.

Disneyoldmagickingdomtickets-2.jpg

Are they complete booklets? If so, I would be VERY interested in those tickets. You can PM me if you would like. Even a partial book might interest me.

SkierPete

Yes, I might be interested in selling them, but I need to do some research to figure out what they are worth. :goodvibes

I just looked at the one ticket I had saved from the 70s. I think it is from 73 or 74 during spring break. It was $7.50 for 12 adventures. E tickets were used for Small world, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, Country Bear, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Hall of Presidents, and the Haunted mansion. D tickets were for the train, skyway to Fantasyland, grand prix raceway, skyway to tomorrowland, Mickey Mouse review,Tom Sawyers Island,Tiki birds, and the riverboats. C tickets we didn't have any left so not sure what they were but I had checked off that we went on flight to the Moon, Peter Pan's flight, and the tree house so they must have been c's. B tickets were for main street cinema, Dumbo, tea party ride, shootin' gallery, and the Mike Fink Keel boats. A tickets were for the Omnibu, horse cars, and main street vehicles.
You didn't need a ticket for The Walt disney Story, Circle vision, and If you had Wings.

Amazingly, there are still 2 E tickets left in it. The tickets are pre- space mountain so definitley before my 1975 trip when we had the greatest time ever in the Magic Kingdom during the Bi-Centinnial. That and seeing the space shuttle launch were the things that lured me to Florida in 1976. LOL thinking back it might have been a litttle of the "Runaway Bride "Syndrome, though. LOL I called off my wedding a week before it was to happen. <VBG>

Thanks for the link!!!! Based on that information and looking at my tickets I think these were from 1975. They are two partial booklets of Adult 8 Adventure Magic Key ticket book (available to Magic Kingdom Club members only) any 8 attractions in the park.

Disneyoldmagickingdomtickets-2.jpg

Wow, that is so cool, I LOVE stuff like that, it takes you back in time & makes you wonder what it was like then & what that day was like for the person who used those tickets !!!! Thank you for scanning those & sharing !!!!! I would have them framed & keep it as my little moment in time from the most magical place on earth!!!!!:santa::santa::santa:

Our family was just talking about ticket books the other day. We could spend the whole day there with an 8 ticket book because we would sit down in the shade for about a half an hour deciding which ticket to use next. They used to have booths in the park where you could buy individual tickets if you ran out - a great way to supplement those D and E tickets! I still have a couple books somewhere with at least one of each kind of ticket in them.

Last time I was in MK, one of the old ticket booths was still there. It's right next to the Pooh Fastpass kiosks and looked like it sold camera stuff or something like that.

B tickets were for main street cinema, Dumbo, tea party ride, shootin' gallery, and the Mike Fink Keel boats.

Dumbo was a B ticket? Fascinating! I would have thought Dumbo would be an E ticket, because for many people it's a Must Do ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!