Four days, four parks, all the food! Mixing it up with the DxDDP and DDP - 9/22 update, FOTLK Tier 1 lunch at Tiffins

Such a nice surprise in your room! And a nice surprise for all your new friends in the Mara :goodvibes I haven't had one of those cakes yet but some clients have and said they're delicious.

We are doing the same sharing with our son in November. The DxDP on his room and the QSDP on our room. Nice to have the appetizers included in our dinners and with it being food and wine the extra QS will be converted to snack credits at booths.

We are doing the same sharing with our son in November. The DxDP on his room and the QSDP on our room. Nice to have the appetizers included in our dinners and with it being food and wine the extra QS will be converted to snack credits at booths.

I like your strategy! I didn’t realize you could convert QS to snack credits.

I haven't had one of those cakes yet but some clients have and said they're delicious.
I thought it was really good. You definitely have to like chocolate and the texture of mousse. I like both so it was all good to me!

I like your strategy! I didn’t realize you could convert QS to snack credits.
Yep - 3 snacks per QS credit. We did that a bit at the Festival of Arts booths and it worked really well for us. No going home with bags of candy to use up credits lol

When I left off, we were headed to MK...MK was packed! Wait times were awful, we rode POTC and then headed to Splash Mountain where the wait was an hour…that turned into two hours.

After waiting in line for 2 hours, I was a little hungry. Waiting in line is hard work! We were heading to Epcot, a little soggy and a little sweaty, to our reservation at Biergarten. As we walked through Adventureland, I had a brainstorm: egg rolls! DH was shocked that I wanted to eat on our way to our ADR, which I found funny because it’s totally a DH move to eat immediately before a meal. We stopped and luckily, there were just a few egg rolls left. I ordered one cheeseburger egg roll and one Cuban egg roll. I enjoyed both, I’d give the edge to the cheeseburger egg roll because it’s a classic. Can I even say that? I’m mean, it’s a cheeseburger egg roll! At any rate, a fun idea and a great treat! I can't wait to see what they come up with next. I'd love to see a s'mores egg roll...

On to Epcot…

Following along and loving your report so far!

And I have to agree - I would love to see a s'mores egg roll too! How yummy would that be?!?!

We arrived at AKL and went to our rooms, which were next door to each other, but not connected, and considered checking out Victoria Falls. When we entered the room, I noticed a room service tray with a note. I have to admit my first thought was that mousekeeping had left someone else’s tray in the room. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the note was for me! It said, “Happy Birthday from your friends at Animal Kingdom Lodge!” Since there was a cake server on the tray, I figured the cake had to be nearby---I checked the fridge and there was a beautiful Mickey Ears cake!

View attachment 433540
See what I just did there, I stuck a photo into the photoless trip report! This cake was big! It would have easily served 10 people and there were only 4 of us. We decided to head to The Mara to have a little party. Refillable mugs in hand, with cake and cake server we headed downstairs. A sweet CM got us some plates and my friends sang Happy Birthday to me. The cake was filled with chocolate mousse—it was a chocolate lovers dream, ok, my dream! After serving four pieces of cake and realizing that we had a lot of cake left, I decided to see if others at The Mara would like dessert. This for me was the most fun, I love to share food. I walked around to nearby tables and served cake to my new friends. It was a delicious treat and a great birthday celebration.

Next up: A wild day at Animal Kingdom featuring the Festival of the Lion King Signature Dining Package.

What a wonderful (and delicious!) surprise. And how nice of you to share with others!

What's better than birthday cake? Birthday cake shared with friends and strangers at Disney! What a great way to celebrate

Day three arrived and we were still going strong! We planned a slower start this morning, thinking we’d be tired, but really, we were ready to go. The entire day was scheduled around a FP+ for FOP and the earliest we could get one was 4:40 p.m. Not how I prefer to schedule FP+, but we didn’t have a choice. Originally, I scheduled the 10:45 a.m. breakfast/lunch slot at TH, but a few weeks before our trip I read a TR on The FOTLK package that included a three course meal at Tiffins, priority seating at FOTLK, and a private safari ride. As M.’s most anticipated ride was the safari, I asked if she and P. Would be interested and they said, “Absolutely!” This helped the overall plan because, believe it or now, we were a little short on dining plan credits. Using a 3 day dining plan over 4 days stretched everything out a bit and made the DDP not quite enough. Signing up for Tiffins freed up 4 credits to use the next day.

We woke all woke up earlier than expected, and I’m pretty sure I was up first. I used the time to check out the gift shop and get a pretty decent decaf Americano at The Mara. I also used some snack credits for a side of eggs and a side of bacon. I had a lovely solo meal until I observed a dad with his three young kids trying to navigate a dining plan breakfast. It took every ounce of restraint not to give some unsolicited advice. The funny part was that the eldest child, who was probably about 11, knew the plan because she understood the purple DDP symbol that signified snacks. Her sister wanted a hot breakfast, but dad was limiting the kids to the pastry counter, telling them that they needed to use snacks.

I was joined by the rest of my crew who visited the pastry counter and had muffins and bagels.

We headed to the park to take our first safari ride and then we wandered through the Gorilla Falls Trail which was amazing because the baby gorilla was out and because the naturalist was also out in another section, throwing food to the gorillas. After that we headed to Dinosaur and Everest, then back to Tiffins for lunch.

We had been to Tiffins about 18 months prior and did not have the best experience, but I was willing to try again based on Dis reviews that are consistently good. My objections the first time were that we had an inattentive server who left us stranded and caused DH to suffer through a meal with a very undercooked filet (it was purple!). We were also seated very close to another couple, so close it felt like we were eating with them, and they were pretty unpleasant dinner mates—the wife could not get over my whole fried fish and was clearly put off by it. Of course, we were so close that it was pretty much in her face. Anyway, we were willing to give Tiffins another go, and I’m glad we did.

We were seated in the back of the main room of the restaurant, at a comfortable 4 top, not close to anyone--good start! The meal started with a glass of prosecco, which is always a great way to start a meal. Our server then let us know that wine and beer were also included, as well as an appetizer, entrée, and dessert. M. and P. ordered beer, they had the Old Elephant Foot IPA. DH and I had cocktails, I had to have the Lamu Libation which is one of my favorite drinks. I love rum and the slight banana taste makes this tropical drink sing. I didn’t think I’d like the banana, but it’s not overpowering and it really makes the drink. DH had the Tempting Tigress, which he enjoyed.

We ordered the Charred Octopus, Charcuterie Plate, and Cucumber & Avocado Salad to share. DH ordered the soup. The octopus is delicious, slightly crispy, very tender. I like all seafood, but wouldn’t have ordered this, because all of it would be a little overwhelming for me, but it was perfect to share. The Charcuterie Plate stole the appetizer show. It was nicely presented and we much enjoyed the accompaniments to the cheeses—honeycomb, nuts, jam. After this trip, we have been asking ourselves why we don’t make charcuterie plates at home. For the cost of the restaurant version, we could easily pick up two cheeses and a sausage or cured meat. The Avocado Salad was a little boring, but it was a salad. DH liked the soup, I didn’t try it.

For our mains, two of us had the Surf and Turf (which is the most bang for the buck, making the cost of the lunch greater than the cost of the ticket), the Short Rib, and the Halibut (a last minute switch from Shrimp and Grits). The Surf and Turf is pretty yummy. The lobster is not as good as Narcoossee’s, but it was decent. I think lobster tails on their own tend to be a little overcooked, which is possibly unavoidable. The Waygu beef was tender and flavorful. DH liked the short ribs, he thinks he also ordered this the time before. The Halibut looked delicious and M. said it was. It was a lovely piece of fish.

Stuffed, we continued on with dessert. P. and I had the South American Chocolate Ganache—very rich and chocolaty, plus a yummy carmelized banana. I’d get this again. M. and DH had the passion fruit tapioca cream—M. was not a fan! Not as bad as bain de soleil, but another very strong and artificial taste.

The FOTLK Signature Dining Package, tier 1, ticket was $99. If I’d purchased my 3 course surf n turf dinner outright, with beer and not counting the prosecco, it would have exceeded the cost. Now, would I have gotten dessert AND the charcuterie? Maybe, not, but it was definitely fun to try both items. With our check, our server gave us some quality lanyards with our FOTLK passes.

After lunch, we watched the Up bird show (those birds swooping in from across the park are amazing, it’s worth it to sit along the path just to experience that), then went back for a swim. We had FOP FP for 4:40 p.m. and FOTLK at 5:30 p.m., I think (I’m sorry I don’t have exact notes on this)—it seemed close to me so we got to FOP right on time, rode, then headed to Nomad’s for a drink (had to get another Lamu Libation) and took it to go, only to race to our meeting spot for the tier 1 package and be informed that drinks are not allowed at FOTLK. We quickly downed our drinks and were led into our front row seats—eeks! On the floor, amazing view. P. was picked to lead the Warthogs, which was really funny and the show from up close was wonderful. We really felt like VIPs.

At the end of the show, we were collected and ushered out ahead of the crowds and brought to a courtyard. Our two guides explained that we’d have a quick restroom break and then be brought to our private safari. We walked onto a safari vehicle held for us and then had our tour. It was really fun, the guide shared a lot of background information about the “ride” and the animals and we were able to take our time on the safari.

I’d highly recommend this package. I would even consider doing it again, it was so totally worth it.

Up next: Sanaa!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter