Freaking out about the USD/CAD exchange!

While I keep hoping it rises, I'm prepared to budget for the worst. We aren't doing too many table service meals, mostly ones to meet characters and we're choosing mainly breakfasts as they are cheaper. It's the souvenirs that get me, I'm a sucker... lol

I have to pay the balance of my booking cost for the condo on Monday. Was hoping to catch them today, as at least I know where the rate is right now--but they are gone for the weekend. Ugh. Hoping it's not worse by Monday!

The rate it pretty bad right and we have trip coming up in September.. this has been booked for some time and as the rate fluctuates we just throw down a little more on the balance owed when it’s a few cents to the good... we also head across the border a 3-5 times a year and grab Disney gift cards in USD at Target.. the exchange is what it is and I try to not worry about things I can not control

Loonie keeps going down lately :sad2: ugh. I’m glad I’ve been PIF for quite awhile for Aug trip. Hopefully Loonie will go up by Aug. or there won’t be much in the budget for suvies. As it is we won’t be doing much TS dining. Mostly CS with a few TS sprinkled in.

I converted another chunk today. With the big haired guy down south killing our dollar even our pretty boy is starting to seem like a financial guru(clearly not true but seriously......oh my goodness). We really picked a bad year to upgrade our free dining to annual pass for the first time.

I don’t know whether to buy more USD now or wait a few weeks and see if it goes back up some.

ugh, its getting ugly.

Yup. Today is not looking good. I wouldn't be surprised if it dips below $0.76 today. We leave next Saturday for a week in the White Mountains. I'm glad we paid off the bulk of our costs 3 weeks ago. But this contention between US/Canada and the negative effect it's having on our dollar does not bode well for us being able to return to Disney next year :( As it is, DH says if that's how Trump wants to treat us, their biggest ally, this trip next week will be our last to the US for quite some time (probably until the next election, lol).

I paid off our hotel/DVC rental a few months ago before the Amazon Visa was cancelled, our flights were covered by the Delta travel $ we got from voluntary deplaning last year and 2 of our 3 park tickets were from Airmiles and the last one has been paid for. The only thing we are going to have to pay for is our food/souvenirs and I've got a bunch of US$ that I bought when our exchange was good so if the exchange is crappy in August then we will just use that cash.

As it is, DH says if that's how Trump wants to treat us, their biggest ally, this trip next week will be our last to the US for quite some time (probably until the next election, lol).

Ugh, I agree with your DH although Galaxy's Edge is going to make it hard to stay away from CA.

The exchange is definitely going to get uglier before getting better unfortunately. We are heading to Hawaii in August, but thankfully it's with our DVC points! We are also considering cancelling plans to head to WDW in August 2019 and jus stay close to home.

We leave for a cross Canada road trip in two weeks. The current plan is to spend 3 days to drive home through the States. Currently nothing about that sounds appealing and I’m ready to change it and just come back through Canada too. We could stop and visit different things on the way home and I would just feel better about it. I didn’t expect to be changing it all up last minute but at least I have the option and will save a bit of money .

Maybe all this turmoil will be enough for Disney to come up with a "Canadian Deal" with more than just tickets to entice more Canadians to visit. Don't get me wrong, I loved the ticket offer, we bought tickets for two trips with it but...

Maybe all this turmoil will be enough for Disney to come up with a "Canadian Deal" with more than just tickets to entice more Canadians to visit. Don't get me wrong, I loved the ticket offer, we bought tickets for two trips with it but...
Yes, it would be nice to get hotel and tickets at par, AND compatible with released discounts. Getting rack room rate at par isn’t a good deal. I wonder how many Canadians are cancelling bookings.
I’m ok with this trip, aside from spending for food I’m paid off. And have USD in my USD checking acct before Loonie drop. But for future trips I’m holding off until I see what’s happening.

My family of 6 were planning to book next week for a trip next spring but with the way the exchange rate is going we may have to wait until another time. I had to break the news to my kids today.

I think it's more of a mental thing than anything else. We might spend about $2K in food for a week. If we compare the exchange now vs a few months ago when our dollar was in the low 80s, a 5 cent difference only amounts to $100 more. I understand that every lit bit counts, as a Disney vacation is not cheap, but for most people, I would think if you can afford to go to Disney, an extra $3-400 is not going to be a deal breaker. Skip a dessert party or do quick service 2-3 times instead of table service and you have pretty much made up the difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!