Freaking out about the USD/CAD exchange!

After a whole day in Disney and on resort, we found a way to chop our food costs. DH and I ended up sharing a breakfast sandwich every morning (they were on a bagel so much more filling). DD9 got a full kids pancake breakfast and kept the fruit/side for the park each morning. DH and I shared where we could if the portions were a nice size, and we let DD get whatever she needed.

When we got to Cabana Bay, their food court fridge section was way better. They had big pre-made sub sandwiches, salads, etc so we just brought two of those with us to US and the three of us shared them. It was plenty of food and a nice change from nuggets, burgers, fries, etc.

There are ways to cut, but you won't know until you are there to see what they are offering and the portion sizes.

After a whole day in Disney and on resort, we found a way to chop our food costs. DH and I ended up sharing a breakfast sandwich every morning (they were on a bagel so much more filling). DD9 got a full kids pancake breakfast and kept the fruit/side for the park each morning. DH and I shared where we could if the portions were a nice size, and we let DD get whatever she needed.

When we got to Cabana Bay, their food court fridge section was way better. They had big pre-made sub sandwiches, salads, etc so we just brought two of those with us to US and the three of us shared them. It was plenty of food and a nice change from nuggets, burgers, fries, etc.

There are ways to cut, but you won't know until you are there to see what they are offering and the portion sizes.
We don’t buy breakfast. It’s easy to throw a couple of bags of bagel and instant oatmeal packs in suitcase. We use the food court toaster for bagels. Can buy cream cheese in refrigerator section of resort store. We use coffee maker for hot water for the oatmeal.

How did you keep sandwich from spoiling taking it to the park? Did you use a cooler bag?

Last edited:
We leave for a cross Canada road trip in two weeks. The current plan is to spend 3 days to drive home through the States. Currently nothing about that sounds appealing and I’m ready to change it and just come back through Canada too. We could stop and visit different things on the way home and I would just feel better about it. I didn’t expect to be changing it all up last minute but at least I have the option and will save a bit of money .
I spoke to soon. Inlaws would really like to go back to Disney with us and our kids (14 and 21). This is the kind of thing I don’t want to continue to put off . They are aging and would enjoy it now, but who knows in the very near future ? Dh and I feel pretty strongly about making it happen now, so we will look to offset the exchange any way we can.. starting with dropping the rental car we like to get. We would need a van for all of us, plus the parking. The buses and ME are free.

And another update (3 days since my original post) Without getting political here, which isn't allowed, there are just too many things nagging at me to stay out of the U.S. for the time being. I fell like I am ignoring my conscience on this one. There's literally thousands of other places to go and convincing myself that the only place we can make family memories is Disney is ridiculous. I really miss Disney, but it's not sitting well with me.

Last edited:

I spoke to soon. Inlaws would really like to go back to Disney with us and our kids (14 and 21). This is the kind of thing I don’t want to continue to put off . They are aging and would enjoy it now, but who knows in the very near future ? Dh and I feel pretty strongly about making it happen now, so we will look to offset the exchange any way we can.. starting with dropping the rental car we like to get. We would need a van for all of us, plus the parking. The buses and ME are free.
I never use a rental in WDW anyway! Free is always better. We land in Ft Lauderdale first to visit fam & friends for 10ish days. After driving up to WDW and checking into resort car is returned to Car Care Centre.

I don't like the exchange but it's a lot better than it was when I was planning my last WDW and US vacation (I recall at the time it was in the high .60s and there were worries it would decline to the low .60s lol) so I'm feeling pretty okay with it being around .75ish.

I have a feeling though with the tariffs and such it's going to get worse before it gets better. I'm just hoping it stays in the .70s.

Last edited:

I don't like the exchange but it's a lot better than it was when I was planning my last WDW and US vacation (I recall at the time there were worries it would decline to the .60s lol) so I'm feeling pretty okay with it being around .75ish.

I have a feeling though with the tariffs and such it's going to get worse before it gets better. I'm just hoping it stays in the .70s.
I hope it doesn’t drop back to the 0.60s again. Such a sad state of affairs.

With the latest news I think I'm going to pay off our trip this week. It looks like it will be going down over the next while. Might as well (hopefully) save a bit of money if I can.

With the latest news I think I'm going to pay off our trip this week. It looks like it will be going down over the next while. Might as well (hopefully) save a bit of money if I can.

What news today? (I didn't catch the news)

And another update (3 days since my original post) Without getting political here, which isn't allowed, there are just too many things nagging at me to stay out of the U.S. for the time being. I fell like I am ignoring my conscience on this one. There's literally thousands of other places to go and convincing myself that the only place we can make family memories is Disney is ridiculous. I really miss Disney, but it's not sitting well with me.

Maybe you can compromise by going to DLP, Tokyo, Shanghai or Hong Kong.

This is where we are. If we could, we would cancel our New Hampshire vacation and go somewhere in Canada instead. But seeing as how we leave in 2 days, we would be up the creek. So, we'll go, and have fun, but it will be our last US vacation for awhile. We have a positively amazing country, with an incredible amount of natural diversity, and things to explore. Time to start giving our money to our fellow Canadians.

Totally understand. If it wasn’t that I have to see my mom who lives in Florida I would feel the same way. There are plenty of places to visit in the world. But my mom is in a home and can’t travel so I have to go to her.

Maybe you can compromise by going to DLP, Tokyo, Shanghai or Hong Kong.

Hong Kong dollar is pegged to about $7.8 USD. My trip to Seoul and Hong Kong this summer has the same issue with a stronger USD. Even though I am not staying long in HK as compared to the Seoul part of the trip. But we are staying at HKDL hotels for 3 nights. The cost of the Disney hotels is 3 times and at at least twice as much as the city hotel we will be staying for the non-Disney portion of the trip.

Sinking, sinking, sinking... and now we're below $0.75. Sigh. Yes, on one hand, it's "all in the mind" as someone said. But a the end of the day, for people who are on a tight budget, that extra $100, 200, 300, can actually mean a lot. The idea that you have to drop a night's stay, or skip an experience etc... doesn't leave a great feeling sometimes.

We are still going no matter what but the exchange rate is horrible right now. Today I went to the bank and got out $6300 CDN to change to US. I always buy my US at Continental Currency and have a VIP card and I received $4670 US at a rate of $1.349, I asked Scotia what their rate is and they told me to go to Continental because it would be better, Scotias rate today is $1.37. We will just be cutting back on some stuff over the next couple months to save for spending money as out trip is paid for, not today though a little bit ago when the rate was a little better.

Sinking, sinking, sinking... and now we're below $0.75. Sigh. Yes, on one hand, it's "all in the mind" as someone said. But a the end of the day, for people who are on a tight budget, that extra $100, 200, 300, can actually mean a lot. The idea that you have to drop a night's stay, or skip an experience etc... doesn't leave a great feeling sometimes.
:faint: Hope it comes back up soon.

We are fortunate to live in one of the best countries in the world. Plus, there’s lots to see and do right within our borders.

Last June I traveled to Nova Scotia for the first time and it was great! Went to Halifax, Peggy’s Cove, all over Cape Breton for 8 days. It cost about the same as our typical WDW vacation.

Two summers ago I went to Churchill, Manitoba, and it was without a doubt one of my favourite vacations ever. I got to kayak with wild belugas, snorkeled with belugas, observed a polar bear tending to her cub, visited the Prince of Whales Fort, saw the colourful tundra, picked tundra berries... etc. It was simply amazing!!

My point, lots of fantastic things to do here! ☺️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter