"Free Dining" rules

mitchinson

Mouseketeer
I will be staying at a moderate resort soon and have the
option of "free dining". I have never used a Dining Plan before.
Please tell me everything you know about "free dining".
Restrictions and perks.
Breakfast, lunch, dinner?
Credits? Would like to do Ohana. 1 or 2 credits?
ADR'S?
Refillable mug...OOP?
Maybe you could direct me to a site that explains?
Thanks

Ok here is what I know and I'm NOT an expert ;) For the basic DDP not QSDP:
You get 1 CS (counter service)--think quick type meals-hamburgers, hotdogs, salads, etc
1 TS (table service)- think sit down meals
1 Snack-lots to choose from...I'm sure there is a link somewhere but like I said I'm NOT an expert. I think that WDW website should have a list for you.
You get each of the above per person per day. If there is 2 people in your party and you are there for 7 days each person gets 7 cs, 7 ts, 7 snacks. These are your credits to use even if you do not go to parks each of the 7 days. You can use them however you wish--if you want a sit down meal for breakfast then you can use the TS for that. If you want a sit down meal for lunch you can use it as that...just remember when the credits are gone they are gone.
I am not sure what the deal is with mugs--we never use them.
I am not sure about what places take 1 credit vs 2 credits.
I would strongly recommend ADRs--especially if you are going during free dining.
Some people are very against the dining plan--it doesn't work out for them and their family. We personally LOVE the dining plan..and we take advantage of the free dining. It is a personal choice..everyone is different.
I hope this answered some of your questions. If you have any additional ones feel free to ask!

I will be staying at a moderate resort soon and have the
option of "free dining". I have never used a Dining Plan before.
Please tell me everything you know about "free dining".
Restrictions and perks.
Breakfast, lunch, dinner?
Credits? Would like to do Ohana. 1 or 2 credits?
ADR'S?
Refillable mug...OOP?
Maybe you could direct me to a site that explains?
Thanks

With the traditional dining plan you get credits for: 1 counter service, 1 table service, and 1 snack for each NIGHT of your stay. So if you have 4 people and are staying for 5 nights, each person will have 5 Counter Service, 5 Table Service, and 5 snacks. They can be used in any order (example you can eat 3 table service meals in one day if you choose).
On the traditional dining plan for 2011, the refillable mug is not included. It IS included in the traditional dining plan for 2012 so it would depend when you are going.

Ohana is 1 credit. It is highly recommended you make ADRs as far in advance as possible. What I always do is look over the park hours for the time I will be there to determine which parks we will visit when (we do not get park hoppers) and then decide where we will eat.

PP is incorrect...its not per day its per night. a 7 day stay is 6 nights. so for each night you get: 1 Counter Service Meal (quick service cafeteria style), 1 table service (sit down with a waitor) or full buffet and 1 snack per person. Meals include soft drink, milk or coffee/tea and a full entree and dessert. No appetizers. You also need to look at the restaurants number some signature restaurants are 2 table service credits. If you use choose them, you will have to go without another table service meal during your stay or pay out of pocket to make up the nights TS selection. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help. We have never done the free dining
because we always go for the %discounts on the resorts...always made more sense. Now that the discount is 25% rather than the 40% the savings are
around $50 a night...2 people can easily spend over $50 a day on food...so we're thinking that would be the better way to go. Making the ADR'S is what is holding me back...I don't know where I will be on any given day or if I will be hungry at a certain time...too much planning...LOL

Thanks again!

One other question: Thinking of dates Nov30-Dec6...Couldn't even reserve the resort we wanted...have to take third choice...At this late date it will probably be hard to make ARD'S for 6 nights. Is it possible to use the TS credit for CS if we can't get in anywhere for TS? We won't be saving as much but at least it's still free.

I have a quick question not to jack this thread, but....
if you get the free dining does it include gratuities or are they charged to your bill?

Thanks!!!

I have a quick question not to jack this thread, but....
if you get the free dining does it include gratuities or are they charged to your bill?

Thanks!!!

Gratuities are not included in the dining plan (whether it is free or you pay for the plan). If you are a party of 6 or more they will automatically charge a gratiuity of 18%. Otherwise you will be given a receipt that shows the amount the meal would have been OOP and you decide on your own tip. You can charge it to your room, leave cash, other credit card, etc.

One other question: Thinking of dates Nov30-Dec6...Couldn't even reserve the resort we wanted...have to take third choice...At this late date it will probably be hard to make ARD'S for 6 nights. Is it possible to use the TS credit for CS if we can't get in anywhere for TS? We won't be saving as much but at least it's still free.

Generally you can't use TS for CS (unless you are on the DxDP). The individual CS locations may let you use a TS credit but there is no guarantee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter