Friend in Hilton Head says Disney's HHR is not as highly rated as the Crowne Plaza

chrome64

Imagineer at Heart
I'm totally Disney biased so, it hurts when she says that the Disney resort is lower quality.

She is staying at the Crowne Plaza for a conference that is taking place at the Westin.

She has never been to Disney or stayed at a Disney resort. She also has not been out to the Hilton Head resort. So, really she has nothing to compare to. She based her comment on the fact that the Disney hotel is rated as 3 star and the Crowne and Westin are rated as 4 star. She said that the Crowne Plaza was on the level of something like the Grand Floridian (once again, she has never been there either).

I have no intention of questioning her about it, but, I'm curious if these resorts are indeed "better" than Disney's resort.

Hopefully one day we will stay at the HHR!

There are some wonderful hotels available at HH. In this case, you are trying to compare a hotel to a timeshare and they are two different creatures. The Disney resort should be "ranked" lower than a hotel in some categories and higher in others. The Disney resort does not have it's own restaurant (although there are abotu 6 within 200 yards of the resort).

I would certainly take exception to any suggestion that Crowne Plaza is comparable to the Grand Floridian, but I'm sure some may disagree.

Enjoy!

Smile, nod, agree with her...all the while thinking to yourself...Yes!!! More room for me at DVC ;)

Apples and oranges. I have stayed at that Westin and it is a very nice hotel. I have stay at HH and it too is very nice. They both have a different feel to them. HH is so layed back and relaxing and vey "family-time" to me. While the Westin is just a nice hotel.

Disney's HH resort makes for a great vacation for my wife and children, but my parents wouldn't like it. They go for the hotels that pamper them. If you like the laid back atmosphere with plenty of children's activities available, then Disney's the place.:cool1:

They would rate much higher then DVC for a number of reasons
1. Service
2. Full Room Service
3. Locations (Generally ON the beach is better then not on the beach at beach locations)

And some of us probably think the Westin is nicer then GF which is at best a 3 star resort (don't believe me check the offical ratings, lots of rating agencies only give GF a 3 star AAA gives them a 4 star, Mobil gives them a 3 star)

I would certainly take exception to any suggestion that Crowne Plaza is comparable to the Grand Floridian, but I'm sure some may disagree.

A Crowne Plaza is certainly no Grand Floridian that's for sure. I would put a Crowne Plaza one step above a Hampton, maybe not even that since Hampton's makeover! Westin's are head and shoulders above a CP, but most of them are no GF either.

I'm totally Disney biased so, it hurts when she says that the Disney resort is lower quality.

She is staying at the Crowne Plaza for a conference that is taking place at the Westin.

She has never been to Disney or stayed at a Disney resort. She also has not been out to the Hilton Head resort. So, really she has nothing to compare to. She based her comment on the fact that the Disney hotel is rated as 3 star and the Crowne and Westin are rated as 4 star. She said that the Crowne Plaza was on the level of something like the Grand Floridian (once again, she has never been there either).

I have no intention of questioning her about it, but, I'm curious if these resorts are indeed "better" than Disney's resort.

Hopefully one day we will stay at the HHR!

I've stayed at all three. All three are decent places to stay in Hilton Head. As far as Crowne Plaza's go, Hilton Head's is very nice. As far as Westin's go, Hilton Head's is kept well, but it's an older sort of stodgy place with echoing halls and cold marble baths. I prefer the more upscale Westin's, but it's certainly not a bad choice. The stars in this case are sort of apples and oranges as noted above because they are awarded on services provided by the hotel such as room service, restaurants onsite, valet, etc as well as other items. No full service at Disney so not as many stars. This does not translate to 'one is better then the other'. However, one may serve the needs of an individual better then another, based on the needs of the individual. Such as if you want room service and an ocean front view from your balcony, don't buy at (Disney's) Hilton Head. Some have made that error and often will comment on how inferior the resort is, when in fact it did not serve their particular needs and they made a mistake in buying it to begin with. If the needs of the individual are family fun or a relaxing and beautiful nature retreat, mixed with lots of great local restaurant choices, Disney has it.
For your friend - why stay at the CP if you are attending a conference at the Westin? No room left at the Westin? I would have chosen the Westin for convenience factor(and then moved to Disney to unwind from the work!). It has the same amenities available as the CP.

Better is so subjective. CarolA made some good points. Certainly a full service hotel/resort with room service, valet, bell service, full restaurant on premises and yes on the beach are going to give a hotel a higher rating at HHI.

Does that make it better, only to those that want the above.

I want really nice accommidations, a great staff, a peaceful, quiet location where I can sit on my porch and watch nature, not someone in a swimsuit that should be on someone half their age, walking on the beach.:scared1: And that includes men and women. :eek:

So I will take DVC over the others anyday.

Better is so subjective. CarolA made some good points. Certainly a full service hotel/resort with room service, valet, bell service, full restaurant on premises and yes on the beach are going to give a hotel a higher rating at HHI.

Does that make it better, only to those that want the above.

I want really nice accommidations, a great staff, a peaceful, quiet location where I can sit on my porch and watch nature, not someone in a swimsuit that should be on someone half their age, walking on the beach.:scared1: And that includes men and women. :eek:

OMG!!!! I was just getting up the nerve to try on my one piece (full figured) swimsuit in anticipation of my trip to HH in a few weeks! Are you going to be there over Easter by any chance, Sammie?:lmao: :eek:

(And I assume you look like a swimsuit model!):confused3

url]

(And I assume you look like a swimsuit model!):confused3

Actually I do, :rotfl: But you missed the point.

I did not mention size, I mentioned age. Irregardless of one's size, one should wear a suit appropriate for one's age.

and Judique I am sure you will be dressed appropriately. It's just lately at the beach there is way too much skin showing and most are old enough to know better.

:sad2: She said that they rented bicycles yesterday and rode over to the Disney resort. She said that if it were the only way that you could visit Hilton Head then she could see staying there. She said that it looked old and retro and that she didn't like the fact that it is not on the ocean. :sad1:

I'm sure that she has a valid point but it still hurts my Disney soul just a little bit!

We will probably stay there one day anyway. I mean hey, if you can ride bikes from the resort to the Beach then, it must not be that far away!:thumbsup2

:sad2: She said that they rented bicycles yesterday and rode over to the Disney resort. She said that if it were the only way that you could visit Hilton Head then she could see staying there. She said that it looked old and retro and that she didn't like the fact that it is not on the ocean. :sad1:

I'm sure that she has a valid point but it still hurts my Disney soul just a little bit!

We will probably stay there one day anyway. I mean hey, if you can ride bikes from the resort to the Beach then, it must not be that far away!:thumbsup2

Don't let it get to you. Different strokes. There is no arguing about being on the beach, as it's not. It is a "Huge" deal to some, to others it is a blessing. We like the shuttle over when we want to go and we like the walk We love the location of the DVC resort on the marsh.

Now to the comment to the theme, well that is just a lack of understanding of theme. It is suppose to look like that. Not like some new shiny, chrome and glass mega resort. It is a replica of a low country fishing lodge and I bet if you asked her what low country means, she would not even know. ;)

Just as some complain the AKL and the new AKV are "too dark", well gee it's Africa, the Dark Continent, I think sometimes, some need to spend some time watching the Discovery and History Channel.

What she sees as old and retro, I thought of as serene and beautiful. While an ocean view would be nice, I live near the ocean and really appreciated the change of scenery. It really made me feel like I was on vacation and away from it all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter