From 5k to a Rebel Challenge (comments welcome)

bellrae

DIS Veteran
Hi everybody :)

My name is Bel and I am 36. In October 2013 someone asked me how far I could run without stopping. I didn't know, so I gave it a go. The answer? 200 meters :headache:

I knew I wanted to change that and decided to give a couch to 5k program a go. I got about 3 weeks in before I had a battle with my screen door and won the consolation prize of three sticthes in my right foot.

Determined to stay with it, in early December I started the C25K program again (even running Christmas Day!) and was suddenly transformed from someone who could only run 200m to someone who could run 5k without stopping (or keeling over). :banana:

Sadly I then got sick, and haven't been able to run for the past 3 months.

Last week I was feeling up to a run and decided to see where I was at. First run in three months and I can still do 5k without stopping :goodvibes

My reward? I get a trip to the Star Wars half-marathon weekend. Just one little problem - I wanted to enrol in the 10k, but that link wasn't up at first and I thought it was all full up, so in a panic, I put my name down for the Rebel Challenge. So I have from now until mid-Jan to get myself from 5k to a half marathon :eek:

After seeing the other journals on here I thought it would be a great place for me to track my progress. If I can do this, it means I will have gone from running 200 meters to running 20kms in the space of just 14 months. :woohoo:

You can do it. One thing I learned so far in life is that most of us under estimate our own ability to do things. We keep thinking its too hard to do ... when really it is something you can do.

My cousin was over 300 lbs a few years ago until her own doctor scared the sh*t out of her. Basically telling her that at the rate she is living her life...no exersize, eating poorly, she probably wont see her own kids grow into adults.

From that moment on she changed. A few years later she is half her weight and running races. She is going for a half marathon soon. Meanwhile she run's 5k races all the time and has gotten her time down to under 30 minuets!!!

This was a 47 year old woman who wouldn't get off the couch to get another slice of pie let alone race anything that didn't have a fridge at the end of the course. Her idea of working out before was getting out of the car and walking to the front door to plop down on the couch...now its going to the gym.

No one would have ever believed this woman could do it...even on her best days but she did. She is living proof its possible. It is for you too.

Just keep coming on these threads...for inspiration and to chat...you will do it. Sometimes you have to scare yourself in doing something.

I signed up for the Goofy one year and afterwards thought...*** did I do? But I did it. The next year I did the Dopey because I knew I could.

I second goofeygirl's post! A lot of what keeps us from accomplishing things is simply ourselves and you've already taken a giant step towards conquering the Rebel Challenge by sticking with the C25K. I tried that one and failed miserably at running that long without stopping, but found Jeff Galloway's run-walk method and never looked back. Completed my first half marathon a few years ago after never having run more than 3 miles before. NOT that I recommend not training, because it makes a world of difference but you've got so much time in front of you to get yourself there. Just never tell yourself you can't.

I would love to follow along with your progress. And maybe I'll see you there!

I've decided to go with the 10k Runner and 21k Runner apps to train for this because you are absolutely right - gotta do what works for you, and the 5K Runner app worked for me (and these two build on that).

Looking at those apps I will have enough weeks left to do both those programs well before January.

I am doing the 5K at WDW the week before as a warm up race before the big one at DL. I live somewhere remote, so I don't have access to a lot of races, but I am trying to rally together some friends to also do some training with over the next few months :)

10k Runner program starts today :)

I went from never having done any kind of serious running in my life ever to finishing the 2011 Disneyland 1/2 in 4 months, which also just happened to be the length of the training plan from Jeff Galloway. And outside of running the first 1/2 mile of the race before experiencing a sharp shooting pain that felt like shin splints, I walked the entire course.

So in terms of ability to finish a 1/2 marathon, you're already well ahead of where I was when I started training for 2011. And when I started seriously looking at the Dumbo Double Dare plan tonight (figuring that it will be comparable to the Rebel Challenge plan) I found myself wondering what have I gotten myself into. But at the same time, I have confidence that training and then trusting in that training will be sufficient to finish.

Getting back into races. I had been on track and field in h.s. and I graduated 30 years ago, never having run a race since then...in fact, not running at all.

Now I have done other things over the years like rollerblade and bike ride...but a few years ago I received an email from Disney about the half marathon for the year 2012 and I wanted to do it . However 13.1 miles seemed SO LONG A DISTANCE to me then (not anymore tho). My brother (who runs races with his family all the time) kept telling me, it wasn't that big a deal. Yeah right. He did marathons too so a half was no biggie to him. I was thinking , no way!
Before I signed up for the race (and this was in August and there still loads of spaces left for the WDW half..hmm..how things have changed in just a few years) I went on my treadmill and walked the whole 13.1 miles wearing regular crappy sneakers and taking over 4 hours. I did it tho. Then I signed up for the race...
In 2013 I did the Goofy. This year I did the Dopey. Hard? Hell ya but totally worth it!!!

I finished my last half in two and a half hours...I wear much better sneakers and I am always searching for the next fun place to race!!!

Meanwhile about the remote place in which you live...I bet there are 5k races around where u live. You may not find them online but sometimes , for me, I might see one of those hand made signs sticking around for a race and I will check it out. Its summer so I am sure there are some around the area.

Well started on the 10K Runner program today. Was interested to see my pacing in miles (I usually work in kms). I ran for 40 mins at a pace of around 12 mins/mile. In the walking portion I was at 17 mins/mile - so that gives me a bit more confidence about being able to finish within the time limit even if I can't run the whole way :)

Took the plunge and registered myself for a 14km race that happens in just over a month :eek:

Never done that distance before!

Big race this Sunday - 14km (about 8 and a half miles) - a lot of it uphill!

I joined some friends at a local Road Running group of the weekend and made the mistake of powering out too fast to keep up with the group, so faded really quickly and have a lot of residual stiffness in my legs today. Going to need to remember to take the pace easier come Sunday.

Wish me luck!

Sounds like someone is running to Bondi...

Best of luck with the race! If it's the race I'm thinking of it should be good for getting used to crowds :)

Yup, made it all the way to Bondi this morning :beach: Dodging crazy crowds and lego men all the way up heartbreak hill was great practice (and HH was NOWHERE as bad as I had been told).

City2Surf was the longest race I have ever done. Pretty happy with myself and pretty chuffed that I have my first ever running medal. I suspect I may be in a bit of pain in the morning though!

Raised over $1,300 for charity as an added bonus :goodvibes:

Hooray!

Well done! Two of my sisters did it this year, but I wanted some time off from tough runs after doing 2 10ks in July to get mine and DHs proof of times for Avengers.

It is my understanding that the Disneyland courses are much flatter, so I'd say you're going to be more than ready by the time of the Star Wars half.

Day 1 of the Jeff Galloway Rebel Challenge training program done and dusted!

5km of intervals in 38:41 :thumbsup2

Week 2 of the Jeff Galloway Rebel Challenge program is now done and dusted.

Today's achievement was 4 miles in 46:03

Ran 5 miles today (8.05km) without stopping today on the training program. That is the furtherest I have ever run without having to stop! Now If I could only learn to drink water and run at the same time the sky would be the limit! :hyper:

Still plugging away at the program.

My short runs during the week (which I usually do 5kms rather than a time) are getting quicker and quicker. Each day that I do my 5km my garmin tells me I have a "new record". There is a lot of satisfaction in getting faster and faster each time! :goodvibes:

Just did my 5km short run for today (my second for the week) and I cracked a new 5K record. Since I started the training program 5 weeks ago I have now wiped 5:32 off my 5K time! :hyper:

6.5 miles aka 10km done and dusted yesterday. Managed to do it without stopping and in a time of 66 minutes. Which is pretty good for the very first time running that distance! :cool1:

Sooooo, on Sunday I finished my first ever half! :thumbsup2

I didn't run the whole thing - firstly didn't want to ruin the training program, and secondly it was really, really, really, really hot :furious:

BUT, I finished, and even with tough conditions, and a lot of walking, I did it in the cut off time for a runDisney race :goodvibes

The first 4 miles were on a beach and I ended up with sand in a shoe for 9 miles which caused some epic blisters.

Only problem is that I am in so much pain today that I am having serious issues getting excited for Star Wars, but hopefully that will subside with the aches and pains and blisters :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter