FRS Radios in WDW

jjohns

Mouseketeer
We've got some upcoming trips with the grandparents planned - we've got a 5 and 7 year old who love to get up early, they are not 5 and 7 and don't love to get up early!

In order to keep everyone happy and sane, we expect there will be some separate touring - we will probably get an early start and then agree to meet at a park mid-morning. Or, we might split up and each group of adults might take one of the kids.

To help facilitate, we were planning on getting a couple of those small palm-sized FRS radios - AND, I'm wondering what people's experience has been with them...

1) What is their practical range in the various parks? For example, can I be sitting in Japan and still talk to someone at the front gates of Epcot?

2) Which models have you used, and what were your experiences?

3) If you were buying one all over again, which one would you buy and why? What features in the radio do you feel were very important, and which ones would you skip over?

TIA, Jeff

We have a set of radios too, and found them to be very helpful in the parks. After using them for the last 2 years or so, this is what I have found...

Do NOT get the ones that only have 14 channels. Spend a little extra and get a set with the additional subchannels. Even then, you will find other people on your channel and have to switch occasionally.

The farthest range we used them was in Epcot. I was at the Living Seas, and a friend was at the Italy Pavilion. As long as both of us were outside, we could make out what the other was saying, but with some static.

If one of you is in a building and the other person is outside, they probably will not work.

Do not turn off your radio until the person you are meeting is actually in sight. It is easy to be within a few feet of each other and still moss each other in a crowd, or behind a pole, etc.

Turn them OFF any time you don't need to use them, and every time you enter an attraction. They tend to go off at the rudest times, and are more annoying than cell phones at the movies.

Invest in radios with rechargable batteries. They only take about 3 hours to recharge, if that long. Batteries in the parks are very expensive, plus batteries in general are incredibly toxic to the environment. A fully charged battery could last several days, while regular batteries may last only a day.

We bought little cell phone cases that hook to your belt. This way, your radio was attached to you when you went on the roller coasters, but was still in easy reach other times. They were very handy, and you didn't have to find space in your fanny pack for one more item.

The radios will not reach from a resort to a park, or anything like that distance. We were able to barely use them once when one person in our group was on the monorail, and we were in MK on Main St. Once he got on the far side of a hotel, though, we lost the signal.

Personally, I like the radios that have a paging feature. You can hit the button, and the other one will ring. You can set the volume on the ringer as well. This way, it works similar to a regular phone, where you wait for the other person to answer your call when their radio rings.

Last, for men only......do not keep the radio in your front pants pocket when at the urinal. Your significant other may decide this would be a funny time to call you! I did this to my DH, and said something like "Let me out of here!" and "Can't you go any faster?"

DH did not seem to appreciate my sense of humor.....I did though!!!

Thanks for the reply.

Features aside, are there any brands that you would recommend one over another? Either for reliability, or just neat little design features, shape, ruggedness, etc.?

I have Motorola Talkabouts... I think 5100's.

I am actually planning on upgrading this year, as I have had these a while - used them for a hundred different things and have discovered some stuff. There is a new model out - the T6220 that is both rechargeable AND can use batteries, has a weather channel (do you camp?), VOX (voice activated use), auto off (basically a stand-by feature that saves batterys -- but as soon as the radio is called to it comes back "on"), the choice of different ring tones AND vibracall.

The radios I have are pretty basic - they have all the subchannels - which you HAVE to have - and have a pretty good radius. I think the farthest we've done is from the bus wait at MGM to somewhere in the park - the parks have a lot of interferance.

The vibrate feature will be INVALUABLE - because there are lots of time where it is very loud where you are, OR you need to be quiet.

For really detailed info on the Motorolas - www.motorola.com

BTW - the clip on the ones I have is plenty strong to stay on my fanny pack. Even on RR or ToT.

I am visiting in August and considering purchasing some of these radios on our arrival (as they are very expensive in England), but am not sure how useful they would be, I have 2 children 10 & 6 and would maybe get an extra to give my oldest son - but are they really that useful

YES - two way radios are EXTREMELY useful.

Even for little things, like one member of the party taking a potty break - it makes it so much easier to connect again. Or - some ride a ride and others don't - those that don't wouldn't have to hover at the exit gate, but could be off doing their own thing - knowing they'll be "paged." In all cases - there are a hundred instances where you'll get separated and you can hook right back up if you have radios - instead of spending 15 or 20 frustrating minutes wandering around.

Another thought for purchase - is to get them offline. Try half.com.... you have to hit them regularly, but sometimes they have excellent deals, and most will ship overseas.

Good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter