full size stroller vs light weight

delfin

Earning My Ears
We're leaving for WDW in one week and I don't know if taking my Evenflow full size stroller is better or buy an umbrella stroller with reclining seats. My 4 month old loves his stroller and it's very easy to fold, just might be too big and heavy for plane ride and folding on buses, etc.
What do you recommend?

We're taking our 11 month daughter to DIsneyWorld in March, and received a Jeep Cherokee umbrella-style stroller for Christmas for the trip. We picked it out - it has a sun shade, a basket and reclines. However, if we had gone when she was younger, we probably would have taken our full-sized Graco. At 2 months at the Hilton Head DVC resort she napped in the baby carrier or the stroller while we are the beach house and was far more comfortable in it than she would have been in an umbrella stroller at that age. By 4 months she was riding in the stroller itself most of the time, but I would still have taken it as it reclines far better than our umbrella and has more of a secure feel (tray, padding, etc) that the umbrella doesn't have.

I would also suggest a carrier or some type. We took our DD to Washington DC for a day when she was 5 months old and though we took the stroller and it rained, she spent 90% of the time in her Baby Bjorn. I really think the only time she spent in the stroller was eating - it made a decent high chair. That was when we decided we needed a smaller stroller for WDW and that the money we spent on the Baby Bjorn was worth it!

Mur!

Unless you plan on purchasing one of the umbrella strollers that are suggested for ages from birth on up, then I'd say no. The only umbrella strollers I know of that are approved for those ages are the Maclarren, Peg Perego Pliko and the Combi Travel Savvy. Now, these are all VERY expensive strollers $200 and up, and I recommend them highly, I've owned all three of them (well the Combi in a double). Any cheaper umbrella stroller isn't going to be supportive enough for such a small baby, let alone fully recline if the baby falls asleep. Bringing the stroller on the plane, won't be a problem with either type, since you can't bring either on the plane. You must leave them folded up outside the door in the jetway. Yes, carrying the stroller on/off the bus is a pain, but if you're with someone else, they can carry the stroller, and you can carry the baby or vice/versa. I've been to WDW with MANY types of strollers over the years, and to be honest carrying ANY stroller is a pain, some are just heavier than others. I'd bring the one your child is most comfortable and used to at this age, since at 4 months they can be VERY particular!!!!

Originally posted by delfin
We're leaving for WDW in one week and I don't know if taking my Evenflow full size stroller is better or buy an umbrella stroller with reclining seats. My 4 month old loves his stroller and it's very easy to fold, just might be too big and heavy for plane ride and folding on buses, etc.
What do you recommend?

For a 4 month old I would bring the full size...4 months old shouldn't be in an umbrella stroller, they aren't supportive enough

We just returned from 12 nights in Orlando, and never once did I regret having brought the BIG double stroller for my daughters -- OK only once when our van was filled to the gills with luggage, strollers, cooler, etc. -- but when we were in the parks it was priceless. Another vote for the full-size. No matter how heavy or bulky it is it will be worth it.

We had a comprimise stroller. Not an umbrella, but a lighter regular one with recline & basket. Ours is a century, but the Graco Kite Lite (not lite rider) also looked good. Still had cup holders & basket, but scaled down. We saw a lot of them there.

Sometimes having a larger stroller is a pain on the busses. You'll get used to it!

Don't worry about the plane. That's not an issue. You tell the person at the gate that you have a stroller & they gate check it for you. Put the little tag on. Roll it to the door of the plane, fold it up, leave it outside the door. It will be there when you get off.

Don't worry about the plane. That's not an issue. You tell the person at the gate that you have a stroller & they gate check it for you. Put the little tag on. Roll it to the door of the plane, fold it up, leave it outside the door. It will be there when you get off.
We gate check a wheelchair all the time, so I wanted to add a little to this. When you first check in, tell the agent that you want to gate check your stroller. They might give you a gate check tag then or tell you to get one at the gate. Don't wait until boarding, ask the gate agent for the tag well before they begin boarding. If you are on a connecting flight, the tag might have a check box to indicate whether you want the stroller returned to the gate or baggage check area at your connecting city or your final destination. Make ssure it's checked for the correct choice.
Fold the stroller and make sure it is secured so it won't unfold and extra things like canopies won't unfold. We always fasten the seatbeelt on the wheelchair just so it doesn't get caught on anything.
The last point is to remember to pick up your stroller. We are often the last off the plane and at least half the time, we see a forgotten stroller sitting at the gate.

We've also folded our stroller & put it in a bag. We haven't had a problem since we started doing that. It's just a regular nylon duffle bag, nothing fancy. We use it carry the car seat to the gate area, then switch the stroller for the car seat. The tag goes on the outside of the bag in this case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter