Fun Kat?

If that is the small catamaran, then I did last month. We had a good breeze blowing, so I rented one on an impulse.

I used to own a Hobie Cat 16; this was similar but in a smaller package. No jib; just a single mainsail. No extension rod for the twin rudders, just a horizontal bar connecting the two rudders that you hold on to for steering. There are straps for your feet, presumably if you were going up on a single hull and wanted to lean out for counterweight. However, even with a fairly nice wind I never even felt like I was close to lifting off one of the hulls. (As opposed to a Hobie 16 where I would be out on the trapeze any chance I got; this was more stable.)

I wouldn't put 4 adults on it (they would fit; it is just a little small on the area for you to sit on for my preference), but I'd do 2 adults and 2 kids.

I ended up sailing by myself; I didn't have any troubles with being able to control it by myself. You sail in the same area that the kayaks and paddle boats go in (and you are morally obligated to circle around them just to point out that you are going much faster than they are without any effort!!!)

The boat handles well; my only issue was when the wind got calmer for a few minutes that the boat had a tendency to get caught in irons while tacking if you were not staying focused. (It was very forgiving with a stronger wind, so I got a little too casual a few times when the wind died down and had to fall off and try a 2nd tack.)

It was a nice change of pace activity from just playing on the beach.

They will ask you if you have sailing experience, but you don't have to have any proof (as opposed to some sailboat rental places that want to see a US Sail or American Sailing Association training record before you rent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter