Funny Things that Cdns say/do at Disney that make Americans go 'huh?'

I've never lived in Canada, but I eat my pretzels with mustard, I stand in line, I've had numerous people tell me that I talk too fast, and even my son says "Yeah, um no."

I'm wondering if it is more of a regional thing, rather than a Canadian thing.

Oh, and the last few people that have told me that I talk too fast? I've informed them that it wasn't me talking too fast. It is that they listen to slow.

I find Canadians call it by Brand name instead of ingredient/what it is. Eg> Kleenex = Tissue said:
This for sure...definitely common in Canada. I always think it's odd when I hear Americans mention tissues .

I know what a bunny hug is....but I have never heard anyone use the term in real life though, also a Manitoban.

One weird thing...and maybe it's a regional thing, but I order a rye and coke press....and that's a real stumper, in the US and even sometime soon outside of MB.

I get excited when I head down south because I can get unsweetened iced tea. Not a thing here in Canada at all! Although I have to say - I do like the pop-like pre-sweetened iced tea found in Canada. It is not the same as sweet tea though - totally different taste as they don't use real brewed tea.

You can get Real Leaf Tea unsweetened at almost any grocery store around me. I live in the Hamilton area.

And yes it is very regional. I'm an Ontarian and I have a lot more in common with someone from the states around me compared to most other provinces. But I am also weird and have a Minnesotan dad and a Manitoban mom. So I have some of those quarks too and I tend to speak in a mild Virginia type speech pattern. I get confused for American a lot.

Only things Canadians have in common from province to province is hockey, curling, health care and a hate for Toronto.

You can get Real Leaf Tea unsweetened at almost any grocery store around me. I live in the Hamilton area.

And yes it is very regional. I'm an Ontarian and I have a lot more in common with someone from the states around me compared to most other provinces. But I am also weird and have a Minnesotan dad and a Manitoban mom. So I have some of those quarks too and I tend to speak in a mild Virginia type speech pattern. I get confused for American a lot.

Only things Canadians have in common from province to province is hockey, curling, health care and a hate for Toronto.
Lol

Ameri-Canadian!? :)

Toronto is alright. Most of Canada forgets there's a Northern Canada. People forget to include NWT, Yukon, and Nunavut in publications and such.
:smickey:

I love the fact that Americans generally know nothing about the geography or politics of Canada. It's fun to show them Rick Mercer's report on 'Talking to Americans.' Good times ;)
YES, last trip we were on the ferry from MK to Fort Wilderness with a family from New York city and their 20 year old daughter could not wrap her head around the fact that our flight to Orlando was actually 10 minutes shorter than their flight from La Guardia ! "but you live in Canada??" I said yes, close to Toronto -- blank stare ... "But isn't that still in Canada?" WOW! Tell them how large our provinces are and they are dumbfounded.

I also continue to be amazed by the fact that they don't understand how we know anything about TV, movies & music. When we tell them that since we live so close to the border we actually watch some shows from Buffalo -- some rather quizzical looks.

**** Yes, i realize this is a generalization and that not all Americans are so unaware of our country but it is still there.

Oh, Gina's reminds me of another one.

Listening to the morning traffic report on the radio in Orlando, I noted that several stations would talk about a "crash" on the I-4 or wherever. In my neck of Canada we have "accidents" (because obviously you wouldn't do it on purpose). So much more civilised...

My ds loves chicken fingers and always asks for sweet and sour sauce. When we would go to Disney/Universal I would bring extra s&s packs so he could dip his chicken/fries in it. If we asked for it -they always handed him barbecue sauce. Saved us a lot of headaches.

Thought of another one this afternoon.

In Canada, we always referred to the year that each child was at in school as "grade 1, grade 2, grade 3" etc.

Here in the USA, everyone calls it "first grade, second grade, third grade" etc. Not a huge difference but enough to make my American friends look at me funny when I say it "backwards".

Also, we have college and university for post-secondary options. "College" here often means what we would refer to as University back in Canada.

Thought of another one this afternoon.

In Canada, we always referred to the year that each child was at in school as "grade 1, grade 2, grade 3" etc.

Here in the USA, everyone calls it "first grade, second grade, third grade" etc. Not a huge difference but enough to make my American friends look at me funny when I say it "backwards".

Also, we have college and university for post-secondary options. "College" here often means what we would refer to as University back in Canada.
AND if we say "public school" we mean up to grade 8 (usually) as opposed to the Catholic School board -- they think we mean we're not paying for our kids to go to some sort of private school. I also get really confused when they talk about freshman, sophomore, junior??

The whole college thing confused me for quite a while. I eventually figured out what those Americans were talking about! (my DH is a dual citizen and both my kids were born in the US)

We got strange looks on our first trip end of January when we were swimming. I think there was one other kid in the pool. Everyone else was walking around in sweaters and coats. The pools are heated for goodness sake!
Been there... done that.... they can't see us normally in the morning because there is so much steam coming off of the pool...lol

YES, last trip we were on the ferry from MK to Fort Wilderness with a family from New York city and their 20 year old daughter could not wrap her head around the fact that our flight to Orlando was actually 10 minutes shorter than their flight from La Guardia ! "but you live in Canada??" I said yes, close to Toronto -- blank stare ... "But isn't that still in Canada?" WOW! Tell them how large our provinces are and they are dumbfounded.

I also continue to be amazed by the fact that they don't understand how we know anything about TV, movies & music. When we tell them that since we live so close to the border we actually watch some shows from Buffalo -- some rather quizzical looks.

**** Yes, i realize this is a generalization and that not all Americans are so unaware of our country but it is still there.

Yep, I was in Disney talking to a guy from Portland, Oregon. He wouldn't believe me that where I am from is future south then he is. Americans are just insular. I don't mean it as an insult or anything, but it is just the truth. Their population, geography and history create a very rich tapestry of literature, film, television, music etc. that means that they can get everything they want and need by looking inwards. Whereas Canada and many other countries do not have that luxury and we have to consume British/American/French media/art/culture/music etc. because we just do not produce enough.

One of the best interactions I ever had with an American was at a hockey game in Denver. It was military appreciation night. I grew up in a family that was active in the local Legion. So I was respectful to everything and stood and clapped and everything. When it was all over, I got talking to the guy beside me. Came up that I was Canadian and he was just dumbfounded that I would show that level of respect to their military. My response was simple, I am in your country. If you were in mine I would hope you'd show the same level of respect since we are on the same side.

Ok just asked two of my daughters if they call hoodies bunnyhugs at school. They said yes everyone does. I thought it was just me still calling them bunnyhugs from all the responses on here lol. I don't know how to post it but there's a really funny video on Saskatchewan lingo on YouTube.

Is this it? One of the first things that popped up when I googled Saskatchewan Lingo on youtube :)

Come to Pittsburgh, at most places there is malt vinegar for your fries* and if you ask for pop well they ask you what kind of pop and will say we have Coke Products or they will say we have Pepsi products.

Not sure what you mean with the iced tea, I'm assuming you don't want Sweet tea, we don't have sweet tea.

* If you go the Original Hot Dog shop don't ask for the large unless you have about 8 people. Attached is a medium.

thumb_600.jpg

Oh my goodness The O! I miss that place. The fries are sooooo good, and I actually don't like French Fries!

My fondest memory of Da Burgh is my first day moving there. I was actually moving to McKeesport. This was before everyone had a smart phone and a GPS riveted to their palm. I'm looking for the main road of the city, Versailles Ave. I can't find it, so I pull over. I ask someone "excuse me, where's [ver-SAI] Avenue?" speaking like the French town where the treaty to end WWI was signed. The guy looked at me like I was from outer space! "Oh, you mean [vir-SALES] Avenue?" I had to ponder a moment before I realized he was right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter