Further confirmation that the “Disney” is disappearing from their resorts….

I just miss the 40% off deluxe resorts discounts.
You’d think they’d want to continue that because I know I would be more willing to stay in deluxe if I was offered that. Instead we go for the value or moderate

I thought your arguments were well presented and I like your idea about the "litmus test." While I cannot agree or disagree (because I've only stayed at the All Stars), I definitely feel your opinions are valid and I'm sorry Disney resorts cannot continue the same magic you experienced as a child. I find that a lot of times we find change difficult, and Disney resorts are no exception. For me, an early 2000s Downtown Disney with all the lego figurines and the quirky magnetic store was the height of what is today Disney Springs. I say give Disney resorts a fair chance--try going in with an open mind like someone who has never visited before and be sure to ask the CMs at check-in what activities will be offered (maybe there's new ones you're unaware of?) I've been watching The Neverland Family on YouTube and they are Florida residents with annual passes. They typically show more stay-in at the hotel days and demonstrate all the magical fun activities you can do as a family just at the resorts. So in closing, I recommend you try the Disney resorts with a fresh and as neutral mind as possible.

I prefer lots of theming in the rooms. The room de-theming refurbs that leave Disney rooms looking like Holiday Inn rooms, make me want to stay offsite more often. Same room at a much lower price.

See, for me I like the de-theming of the rooms. The resort grounds and main buildings are still full of theme, but I find it nice to be able to escape to my room. All the theming at Disney, while I love Disney, can get to be a bit too much for myself and some others. So it is nice to have a nice clean, calm, and "quiet" room to escape to when needed.

Change is hard. I've been going to WDW every year since I was born (in '74-- yikes!) so I've seen a LOT of change.

I, too, remember the FW make your own pizza, the tram, and the peacocks, etc. Even the train they used to have!

I also miss the old Contemporary arcade, and the old Poly lobby, and most of all the old Epcot (Horizons, World of Motion, Imagination.)

But... I still love WDW. It's still fun albeit new and different. Let nostalgia be nostalgia and try not to let it get you down. I bet if I visited as a child now, I'd still love it as much as I did when I visited as a child in the 70s!

I just have to say that I don’t think it’s at all practical to think that Disney should have created back-up lawnmower trees. The first one happened as a fluke of nature, and replicating it may not even be possible.

We enjoyed seeing Minnie-Moo in 2000. Should Disney have cloned her? I mean, as a living thing she would have to die at some point, and it never occurred to me that Disney should have found a back-up cow with spots that look like Mickey ears.

Last edited:
Now this will sound really dumb, but I miss the decorated napkins, the brightly colored plates...not the dull brown they have now.....the kids meals that came in Mickey shape plates. We just got back from a trip and did see holiday decorated cups. Not sure what cups will look like in a month.

I find it amazing how many people are willing to be hostile (albeit lightly) towards the OP because they simply disagree... It's a valid observation - not simply a "trip down memory lane." :rolleyes2

My family has vacationed at Disney for years and bought into DVC in the late 90s. It's very obvious that Disney is toning down on theming, as well as skinching on amenities, simply to save a few dollars. For example: DVC rooms now will no longer have whirlpool tubs or ceiling fans, and the square footage is slowly dwindling for the upcoming resorts, yet the prices are ever increasing. Also, the OP's observations are completely correct - the quality and Disney theming is not the same as it has been in past years, and while many may feel as though it is adequate, that does not eliminate the fact that they are indeed removing elements in an effort to cut corners and cost.

I find it amazing how many people are willing to be hostile (albeit lightly) towards the OP because they simply disagree... It's a valid observation - not simply a "trip down memory lane." :rolleyes2

My family has vacationed at Disney for years and bought into DVC in the late 90s. It's very obvious that Disney is toning down on theming, as well as skinching on amenities, simply to save a few dollars. For example: DVC rooms now will no longer have whirlpool tubs or ceiling fans, and the square footage is slowly dwindling for the upcoming resorts, yet the prices are ever increasing. Also, the OP's observations are completely correct - the quality and Disney theming is not the same as it has been in past years, and while many may feel as though it is adequate, that does not eliminate the fact that they are indeed removing elements in an effort to cut corners and cost.

We are each entitled to an opinion.
We own DVC Aand have for years. Eliminating whirlpool tubs and ceiling fans is not “skinching on amenities “ in my opinion. In is way more sanitary. I disagree that “they are removing elements to cut corners and cost”. I love the new themeing even though I thought I wouldn’t.
You are very strong in your statements and indeed state opinion as fact. I don’t see it your way and that is fine.

People don't like the de-themeing...so they go stay in a standard hotel room offsite which looks exactly the same as all the others?? Don't see the logic in that?

I agree! I thought the OP's arguments were well thought out and supplied with fair reasoning. We can all agree to disagree, but the OP's feelings are certainly valid.

That's the beauty of opinions. They are valid, to the person presenting them.

I like the new room designs. I'm also happy with our DVC ownership. I'm also happy Disney finally seems to be investing money into the theme parks (DHS/Star Wars and the upcoming makeover of Epcot). THAT'S where I want them spending money. But it's just my opinion.

Agreed. I'm especially loving the looks of Yacht Club (from pictures), can't wait to stay there again!

I stayed there last month for a night ... the rooms are absolutely BEAUTIFUL and I wish that I either lived there OR my master suite looked like those rooms. Luxe and beautiful.

We are each entitled to an opinion.
We own DVC Aand have for years. Eliminating whirlpool tubs and ceiling fans is not “skinching on amenities “ in my opinion. In is way more sanitary. I disagree that “they are removing elements to cut corners and cost”. I love the new themeing even though I thought I wouldn’t.
You are very strong in your statements and indeed state opinion as fact. I don’t see it your way and that is fine.

I agree with you about the ceiling fan. I’d love to have a beautiful chandelier in my family room and master bedroom but we have ceiling fans in them instead for good reason. We live in Texas and the summers are brutal. Running a ceiling fan helps reduce the burden on the a/c and saves on electricity. They make special tools that make it easy to clean ceiling fan blades.

I disagree wrt the whirlpool tub though. They’re a pain to clean, loud, a haven for mold, and expensive to repair. Our current home has one but if we build a new home there won’t be one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts