Galaxy edge in trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a click bait rumor monger website with no credibility.

It 100% is. However...We arrive this Saturday so I've been watching ride times like a hawk this past week. Smugglers Run has consistently shorter waits than multiple other rides most o the day except at park open. Even older rides like Splash Mountain. I think it will be fine in the long run, but Disney has to be somewhat diapointment in SGEs popularity.

I think there's definite validity to it. The reviews are primarily negative. It's been called by many a Star Wars outside mall with 1 video game simulator attraction with hardly any tie in to the original trilogy (or prequels). I'm trying to reserve judgement until I see it in person, but from the videos I've seen, I'm in no rush. Bottom line is, attendance is far below what Disney had hoped and expected on both coasts.

Disney has hit the breaking point for a lot of folks for this fall... whether it remains the breaking point remains to be seen. fall is traditionally low traffic but the past few years disney has lured more ppl with steep hotel discounts, food and wine, and halloween party. Now the “discounted” rates arent all that great because they raised rates in anticipation of GE, Food and wine is good, but the prices are just a bit too much and epcot is a huge construction zone. Finally i love GE, but the one ride is decent bit not groundbreaking for the price you pay to go to dhs. Everything else in GE is a paid experience. Its a beautiful land but it needs more attractions. Disney wont yield any crazy hotel or ticket discounts unless this trend continues into the holiday and spring season... then they r dealing with a full blown crisis on the front end of a recession.

I think there's definite validity to it. The reviews are primarily negative. It's been called by many a Star Wars outside mall with 1 video game simulator attraction with hardly any tie in to the original trilogy (or prequels). I'm trying to reserve judgement until I see it in person, but from the videos I've seen, I'm in no rush. Bottom line is, attendance is far below what Disney had hoped and expected on both coasts.

Odd. Almost all of the reviews I've read have been positive (and I loved every second I spent in the land). I haven't read a single thing referring to it as an outside mall (not sure where that is coming from). Only negative things I read so far have been from people who haven't actually set foot in it yet.

Odd. Almost all of the reviews I've read have been positive (and I loved every second I spent in the land). I haven't read a single thing referring to it as an outside mall (not sure where that is coming from). Only negative things I read so far have been from people who haven't actually set foot in it yet.

Watch some YouTube videos of people who do Vlogs.

https://filmthreat.com/features/5-ways-to-fix-star-wars-galaxys-edge/

The land is incredible... its like mixing the authenticity of an epcot pavilion with the wonder of pandora and the grandeur of magic kingdom. But i understand that for many guests paying admission to walk around a cool looking place isnt a good value. You need multiple rides and shows to anchor a land. The ride is a solid C ticket attraction. The droid and saber building experiences are too pricey for many. The cantina is pricey even by disney standards. If I wasnt a passholder I would have held off for that second ride and maybe more offerings at dhs. I think ppl are being choosier, saying this is neat but expensive, i will wait for both rides.

Watch some YouTube videos of people who do Vlogs.
I watch several Disney vloggers. They all seemed to enjoy it. If I have to go searching for negative reviews, then it really isn't "primarily negative". I don't doubt there are negative reviews...I just doubt your assertion that they are primarily negative. And frankly, I consider the source.

I think people are gleefully rubbing their hands together hoping that Disney fails. People love to see giants fall.

I watch several Disney vloggers. They all seemed to enjoy it. If I have to go searching for negative reviews, then it really isn't "primarily negative". I don't doubt there are negative reviews...I just doubt your assertion that they are primarily negative.

That's the issue. Disney Vloggers will love it. Why? Because it's Disney and Disney can do no wrong. Listen to what Star Wars Vloggers have to say.

Agree. Overall I think it has done alright. Maybe not the massive success they have been expecting but the act that the headline attraction is open ye could be a big part of that. It looks like that ride will be amazing and will pull in a lot of people.
Can see though how not having a lot of familiarity for the nostalgia factor can impede some people's views. Feel it doesn't have that same immersion feel as something like Diagon Alley and Hogsmead at Universal with not having a planet or setting everyone is really familiar with, but that can be overcome

That's the issue. Disney Vloggers will love it. Why? Because it's Disney and Disney can do no wrong. Listen to what Star Wars Vloggers have to say.

NO. Why are YOU listening to what they have to say? I know lots of Star Wars fans who loved it. Why are their reviews not enough? Why do only SW "vlogs" count? You've decided you won't like it and you haven't even been there. And one of the thinks you posted from reddit was from a guy complaining about a video he saw of it, not actual in-park experience.

It 100% is. However...We arrive this Saturday so I've been watching ride times like a hawk this past week. Smugglers Run has consistently shorter waits than multiple other rides most o the day except at park open. Even older rides like Splash Mountain. I think it will be fine in the long run, but Disney has to be somewhat diapointment in SGEs popularity.
The reason wait times get down to a reasonable amount during the day after the initial park opening is the fact there is no FP+ for the ride. So guess what, the standby line does not get stopped to let 200 people from the FP+ line through against 35 people in standby. After RotR opens and the land is fully operational and FP+ comes online for the land that will be the true test of how successful it is. I am pretty sure that FOP and SDD have had FP+ since the beginning.

Nothing is definitive until the second, supposedly mind-blowingly better second attraction opens. Imagine if they had opened Pandora for 6+ months without opening Flight of Passage.

That being said, I think Disney is going to find it was a colossal mistake creating a Star Wars land that wasn't based on the movies. What people love about Harry Potter at Universal is that they can walk through painstakingly recreated locations from the books/movies. That's what people want with Star Wars, not something new and certainly not something with so many expensive extras.

That being said, I think Disney is going to find it was a colossal mistake creating a Star Wars land that wasn't based on the movies. What people love about Harry Potter at Universal is that they can walk through painstakingly recreated locations from the books/movies. That's what people want with Star Wars, not something new and certainly not something with so many expensive extras.

Exactly this.

People have too many personal reasons to either praise or bash the land. Unless you know someone "shares your brain", then don't put much stock in anyone's assessment of the land. Decide for yourself from POV videos. If you need to know, for some reason, whether the land is "successful" or not, wait for a few years and see what happens. That's going to be the only way to really know.

I wonder if the anticipated response to the Land was over estimated without regard to Hurricane Season. I know I would never book a trip to FL in September and I bet many others would not either. Trip insurance may cover the cost but will not replace vacation time that was requested months in advance.

Personally, I hope that it is successful, but that it does not call in so many people that DHS is inundated with the overflow. I also think that there needs to be more dining and the costs should be reduced. I love DIsney but I am not spending that kind of money, not even for a cool beverage.

My guess is we'll see some retooling over the next couple of years to add more elements, scenery and characters that Star Wars fans are familiar with. As someone previously stated, the reason WWOHP has been so successful is the immersive atmosphere for fans. I'm not a die hard Star Wars fan, but I have seen the original trilogy more times than I can recall, and have seen all of the movies at least a couple times. I was hoping to see a few different themed areas like Tattooine, Hoth, Endor, etc.

I find it odd that people equate shorter wait times with failure. Do we have any data on how many people are actually riding on an hourly basis? How do we know less people are riding SR than, say, FoP? As PP's have mentioned, Smuggler's Run has no FP+ like the other "e-ticket" rides in WDW. Could we not equate shorter wait times with a success in WDW figuring out how to actually design rides and manage lines so people have a better experience? I mean, really, 3-4 hour wait times when FoP was new equals success? Certainly not a success for guests wanting to ride and also enjoy other areas of the parks. I've actually been to SWGE. While Smuggler's Run isn't my favorite ride in WDW, I appreciate the design aspects, particularly, of the que and SWGE at night is incredible. I had no issue with immersing myself in the story that was created. Star Wars is a universe and there is more to it than what has been presented on the movie screen. If you can open your mind and put yourself in the story, IMHO, it's pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter