Garden Grill- food was good, service was not.

In the retelling that now includes talking with the manager, it sounds like the manager only came in at the end when they were leaving - not during the meal when something could have actually been done about it.

That is correct. We had a heck of a time even grabbing someone, and it took about three people to even get more than a “I’ll get your waiter” out of of them (who never came). Finally, after telling the manager, and her offer to get us a “to go box” for a dessert, we had had more than enough and asked for the bill to be brought very promptly, paid and left.

That's really unfortunate. I have been to Garden Grill for dinner before and we weren't too impressed (with the food or service), that was several years ago and we haven't been back. I don't blame you for not wanting to hang around and ask multiple people for assistance when you had other things you wanted to do afterwards. Sometimes I speak up, and sometimes I don't. Just depends on the situation, how bad the issues were, who I'm with and whether or not we're in a rush. So I totally get not always speaking up. Sometimes like you said, it's just bad service plain and simple. Glad you shared your experiences and I hope you had better ones while you were there and enjoyed the rest of your trip!

Sorry to hear that. We have always had great service there. You really should have been proactive while there to let the restaurant correct the situation.

Sorry to hear that. We have always had great service there. You really should have been proactive while there to let the restaurant correct the situation.

I don’t know what else I could have done.
Ask my waiter? Yep, after spending 10 minutes or more trying to find him. Ask other staff (3 different ones) to help. Check.
Talk to the manager. Check.

What would be more proactive? Enter the kitchen to get my food myself? Sorry to be so rude, but seriously I’ve had enough with being told over and over and over that I should have done this or that just because it was not a good experience for us. Trust me, we did all that we could aside from making a scene.

I supposed I could have done what a lady next to me in AK did. She called Disney on her phone, using key words like “You took a moment from my family......You make this experience.....”, etc. I don’t know what she wanted to make up for her unhappy experience, but I felt so bad for the CM on the other end.

You know, sometimes posting on a forum about negative experiences is much worse than the negative experience itself. I think many of us are blinded by our Disney love and just don’t accept that sometimes bad experiences happen.

Ask my waiter? Yep, after spending 10 minutes or more trying to find him. Ask other staff (3 different ones) to help. Check.

What would be more proactive? Enter the kitchen to get my food myself? Sorry to be so rude, but seriously I’ve had enough with being told over and over and over that I should have done this or that just because it was not a good experience for us. Trust me, we did all that we could aside from making a scene.

I supposed I could have done what a lady next to me in AK did. She called Disney on her phone, using key words like “You took a moment from my family......You make this experience.....”, etc. I don’t know what she wanted to make up for her unhappy experience, but I felt so bad for the CM on the other end.

You know, sometimes posting on a forum about negative experiences is much worse than the negative experience itself. I think many of us are blinded by our Disney love and just don’t accept that sometimes bad experiences happen.

You don’t like how people are responding, but I think you will get different responses if you edit your first post and explain that you spoke to a manager, other waiters, etc.... Just a suggestion to save you from further frustration. :goodvibes Because your first post really does sound like you just accepted your fate.

Some people who open this thread will only read your first post and not subsequent posts. And will keep giving you the same advice or suggestions that you don’t want.

The problem is, you left out a critical piece of information from your original post...you didn’t say anywhere that you spoke to a manager. That’s why you’re getting the responses you are. Not everyone reads the whole thread.

That is correct. We had a heck of a time even grabbing someone, and it took about three people to even get more than a “I’ll get your waiter” out of of them (who never came). Finally, after telling the manager, and her offer to get us a “to go box” for a dessert, we had had more than enough and asked for the bill to be brought very promptly, paid and left.

There is one other alternative in the future. Yes, it requires you to be proactive and even move from your seat, but if you go to the host stand, they should be able to page the manager. Not ideal, but better than sitting and stewing and not getting a complete meal.

That's definitely the case for some people on the boards, but its not the case in this thread. As mentioned, if you had expressed that you spoke to managers and other servers in your initial post, we could have sympathized with you. Nothing posted in response is meant to be negative or offend you. Its difficult to tell tone in type, and people here often bluntly just tell it like it is with no malice intended.

Hindsight is 20/20 and you don't feel you could have done anything differently - that is totally fine. Some people are not confrontational and don't want to cause a row. I get that. Our responses here are more for the benefit of others who find themselves in a similar situation. I would still assert that people need to advocate for themselves - don't wait 45 minutes for dessert, wait 10 or 15 before you do something about it. Find a manger or another server. Go to the host/hostess. Wait outside the kitchen if you have to. The restaurant is not without staff. Alternatively, if the manager offered dessert to go and a person didn't want that, one would be within their right to request a discount on the bill if its not offered. You're not getting one of the courses you paid for. I think that would be another acceptable remedy rather than accepting the restaurant's poor service.

I, too, responded initially that you should have gotten a manager. I didn't realize that you did, indeed, get a manager.
Personally, I would have accepted the to-go dessert, but understand that it might not have worked out well for you to do this depending on the rides you were going on, etc.

That's definitely the case for some people on the boards, but its not the case in this thread. As mentioned, if you had expressed that you spoke to managers and other servers in your initial post, we could have sympathized with you. Nothing posted in response is meant to be negative or offend you. Its difficult to tell tone in type, and people here often bluntly just tell it like it is with no malice intended.

Hindsight is 20/20 and you don't feel you could have done anything differently - that is totally fine. Some people are not confrontational and don't want to cause a row. I get that. Our responses here are more for the benefit of others who find themselves in a similar situation. I would still assert that people need to advocate for themselves - don't wait 45 minutes for dessert, wait 10 or 15 before you do something about it. Find a manger or another server. Go to the host/hostess. Wait outside the kitchen if you have to. The restaurant is not without staff. Alternatively, if the manager offered dessert to go and a person didn't want that, one would be within their right to request a discount on the bill if its not offered. You're not getting one of the courses you paid for. I think that would be another acceptable remedy rather than accepting the restaurant's poor service.
Great response

Finally, after telling the manager, and her offer to get us a “to go box” for a dessert, we had had more than enough and asked for the bill to be brought very promptly, paid and left.

This is the really not at all what you said in your original post. Now, you say you were offered a dessert by the manager, but in your original post you said "
I had heard the dessert was great, and I saw a couple go past us earlier by another waiter, but we were not offered any." Now, you say a you had a conversation with the manager that resulted in you deciding to just get a check instead of dessert, but before you said:
"
Finally, as the place seemed to be emptying out about 8:45, we asked another waiter to just ask for our bill so we could leave.
" It's no wonder people here were confused.

I disagree with all the replies that suggest that you did something wrong, lorenae. Finding and speaking with a manager can come with its own problems and complications. The onus is on the server to provide service, the manager to ensure that proper service is being provided, and the restaurant to ensure that employees are providing their expected level of service to guests. It is not guests' responsibility to do any of this. I appreciate you posting here because we also had nonexistent service last time we went to GG and this confirms that we will not return. So thank you.

Are you still there? If yes, and you're going back to Epcot, maybe consider going to Guest Services? If not Epcot, another park or your resort? Whether you're there or home (or somewhere else), definitely contact wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com and explain what happened and how disappointed (angry/upset/other) you are with the service you didn't get.

Are you still there? If yes, and you're going back to Epcot, maybe consider going to Guest Services? If not Epcot, another park or your resort? Whether you're there or home (or somewhere else), definitely contact wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com and explain what happened and how disappointed (angry/upset/other) you are with the service you didn't get.

No, I’m home now but will likely go back to the parks in the next few weeks or maybe month or two.

I’m totally letting it go- I just am not likely to be so quick to hand over another $$$$ for a repeat.

Oh, no. I don't expect you to eat there again. Good for you for letting it go. I just think Disney could do something to apologize for your bad experience.

I disagree with all the replies that suggest that you did something wrong, lorenae. Finding and speaking with a manager can come with its own problems and complications. The onus is on the server to provide service, the manager to ensure that proper service is being provided, and the restaurant to ensure that employees are providing their expected level of service to guests. It is not guests' responsibility to do any of this. I appreciate you posting here because we also had nonexistent service last time we went to GG and this confirms that we will not return. So thank you.
I don't see responses that OP was wrong. There was miscommunications at the start of the thread, but after OP came back and clarified, I think most would agree that OP didn't do anything wrong if they felt in the moment they did all they could do. Some of us would have handled it differently and offered suggestions for next time, but it doesn't mean any of us are right or wrong.

Also, OP said they did speak with a manager. So can you elaborate on why you feel speaking with a manager may come with its own problems and complications? A manager of a restaurant has an even bigger stake in your happiness than a server does. The buck stops with the manager of the restaurant when a server isn't doing their job and/or a guest is unhappy. It definitely is incumbent upon the server to provide good service, but how can a manager ensure proper service is being provided when he or she is not made aware of an issue? And how can a bad server be held accountable if their manager is not made aware? To not report poor service is a disservice to the restaurant and other guests of it. No, its not your responsibility to ensure good service is provided, but its in your best interest to speak up to salvage your dining experience and give the manager a chance to effect change. And why roll over and take it if you're not receiving something you're paying for?

I know OP spoke with a manager in this case but I understand why some people don’t.

I had a bad experience at Ohana and didn’t bother complaining. Essentially the damage had been done and i didn’t want to waste any of my vacation time to speak to anyone as I wasn’t looking for compensation. I just wanted to get out of there and move on to something more pleasant and don’t plan on going back.

Just because so many people have said "I won't go back to x place because of a poor server" I would just point out that the odds of you getting the same server are pretty slim, and bad servers (or good servers having bad nights) can happen anywhere. You're going to rule out a lot of great restaurants, and return to restaurants that once had a good service to find it is worse the next time, if that's how you choose what restaurants to return to.

That's like saying you'll never call the Disney phone system again because you once got a CM that wasn't helpful. It's not really a good predictor of a repeat experience.

Just because so many people have said "I won't go back to x place because of a poor server" I would just point out that the odds of you getting the same server are pretty slim, and bad servers (or good servers having bad nights) can happen anywhere. You're going to rule out a lot of great restaurants, and return to restaurants that once had a good service to find it is worse the next time, if that's how you choose what restaurants to return to.

That's like saying you'll never call the Disney phone system again because you once got a CM that wasn't helpful. It's not really a good predictor of a repeat experience.

No, maybe not. But with hundreds of other restaurant experiences available where the food is better, why not just go somewhere else? There are many decent restaurants out there (none that I would call “great”) at WDW so no need for a repeat performance in my opinion. The food was ok (beef was very good with the chimichurri sauce). Character interaction was great. Was it a $60 meal? Well, no. But we paid it because of the character experience.

Because the service was so poor, we just don’t feel the need to go back but we may have felt that way if the service was superb as well.

Maybe next time we’ll go to Tusker House.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter