Gate-check or rent? A stroller quandry.

Herding_Cats

DIS Veteran
With Disney's one-provider policy for stroller rental delivery now, what are your thoughts on gate-checking a stroller you already have vs renting one from the airport vs having one delivered to bell services?

We own a bob revolution, and I'm tempted to just gate-check it and save myself the $50+ and dealing with a rental counter or bell services.

Looking at scooterbug's offerings, WHAT are the "single pro" and "single lite"??????

I love gate checking strollers with little ones. Less walking in the airport for them, and less me having to watch them like a hawk around thousands of strangers. The only downside is managing the stroller and luggage at the same time, but if you do airport curbside check in and have the magical express take your luggage to your room, it is very convenient. And you are saving yourself tons of money in terms if rental fees.

is a "gate check bag" useful for a stroller? overkill? bungee to keep it from flopping open if you don't use a bag? We have good baby carriers, so it's not like we would have to carry-in-arms or hold a hand the entire time....

is a "gate check bag" useful for a stroller? overkill? bungee to keep it from flopping open if you don't use a bag? We have good baby carriers, so it's not like we would have to carry-in-arms or hold a hand the entire time....

I never used a bag for the strollers we brought. A bungee probably wouldn't hurt, but I don't think its needed, either. You typically roll the stroller down the whole gangway and then fold it up right before getting on the plane, so the more steps that are involved, the more you potentially back up boarding traffic. The crew then puts it in the bottom of the plane just before take off, and it is amongst the first luggage to be taken off, and it gets placed in more or less where you left it, just at your new airport. I've always found the service to be very helpful and easy to use.

We really like our gate check bags, keeps the stroller cleaner and contained but can be a pain if you are solo with the kiddo (as I have been multiple times while travelling) trying to wrangle the stroller into the bag (why do the wheels always get stuck?!?) while wrangling a toddler who likes to explore. I do put the stroller in the bag before going down the gangway onto the plane so I'm not holding up traffic at the plane.

A gate check bag is not necessary, but a good one WITH A HANDLE can help keep your stroller from getting dinged up. Amazon has some for less than $15. The handle is beneficial in giving the baggage handlers a clear spot to grab the bag, which makes it less likely for them to have difficulty carrying it and potentially dropping it. The bag will also help to protect the stroller from minor scuffs.

If you don't purchase a bag, ensure you take off anything that isn't fixed to the stroller (if you have detachable (added-on) trays, cupholders, etc, as that stuff will likely become detached/broken/lost. If your stroller has a locking mechanism to keep it closed when folded then fold it up and use that closing lock when you gate check it. If it does not have a mechanism to hold it closed and falls back into the open position easily, I would strongly recommend using a zip tie or something similar to keep it closed. Scissors are allowed in carry-on luggage if the blade is less than 4 inches. Many baggage handlers don't know how to fold a stroller (and so many of them fold differently anyway), so if it were to unfold while they were carrying it, it could just get thrown onto the plane unfolded, which is far more likely to cause damage.

We rented and I don't regret it. It was one less thing I had to carry in the airport. We baby carried so I just put DS in the Tula and we were good to go. Gate check is okay, but I preferred just not having to deal with my stroller at all.

We always gate check our strollers when we use them. We have always used a bag. We have a bag that fits our two umbrella strollers, so it keeps them together. Also, we used the travel bag with our Uppababy because if we did any damage was covered under the warranty. My husband is in charge of the strollers and he likes a travel bag for convenience.

I brought a double wide umbrella stroller last August and gate checked it AND rented one for while I was down there.

Do both?

edit to add: I didn't use the umbrella stroller once I was on property and had the rental. I used the umbrella just for the airport basically. (Kids age 6 4 1.5)

I loved using our stroller (Phil and Ted double) and gate checking because we used the stroller as a baggage holder. We'd throw the carseat (when we used one) and all of the kids backpacks in the stroller while in the airport, Ergo for the baby and have the other 2 walk. We had a bag for the stroller so it wouldn't get dinged up in the luggage hold.

We have gate-checked our BOB, Never used a bag, and we always put an extra strap around the frame to hold it closed- with the way it folds, it puts a lot of pressure on the buckle on the handle strap if someone picks it up wrong.

Ours is old and beat up, if it were new and shiny I'd consider putting it in a big garbage bag. Maybe.

We've gate checked legitimately probably 30+ times for our Single Bob or City Mini GT (Double) without a bag with zero real damage over the past five years. I'm pretty sure Southwest at least puts the strollers in separately with the wheelchairs so I don't think they are necessarily flopping all around in there.
We DO have a bag for our City Tour because it folds up super tiny, but it is small enough to put in the overhead bin no problem.

We too, are tempted to rent a double (and leave ours at home) this time, but the Bell Services component stresses me out a bit in terms of timing. We don't at all need a stroller in the airport any more OR we could just bring the Tour for that purpose.

I have a bag for my bob when I gate check it - and I always took the wheels off and stowed them inside the stroller. When we get off the plane old put it all back together. It’s super easy and protects the wheels and those connections. But that’s just me - I may be more paranoid then most.

BOBs are huge and you will have to park it outside of many places at the park and either carry your kids into places and rely on them to walk. The strollers rented out are usually much smaller and easier to maneuver through crowds, on and off buses, and in buildings. It will be nice to have a stroller at the airport though.

I used a small pop up stroller for airport time and then rented a larger more durable one from Magic Strollers that was delivered to my resort and it worked out great!!

We're cheap so we would definitely bring our own stroller vs. renting one (and have many times!) If you feel like having a stroller in the airport is a pain, then just check it with your bags!

We're cheap so we would definitely bring our own stroller vs. renting one (and have many times!) If you feel like having a stroller in the airport is a pain, then just check it with your bags!

Follow up question to this- can you check it with your luggage through Magical Express (i.e. on return trip, can you drop it with them before boarding the bus and then not see it again until baggage claim at your home airport?). If so, this is a super appealing idea!

Follow up question to this- can you check it with your luggage through Magical Express (i.e. on return trip, can you drop it with them before boarding the bus and then not see it again until baggage claim at your home airport?). If so, this is a super appealing idea!
We didn't use the luggage service for Magical Express but I would imagine if you tag the stroller that they would pick it up like any other piece of luggage.

With little ones (under 4 I would say) it's very convenient to have the stroller throughout the trip (in the airport, at the resort and all the parks) so when my kids were that small, we would always just bring our own. It's free to bring your own and then you're not dealing with rental fees and bell hop and potential delivery hassles etc. We never used stroller bags or anything and never had an issue at the airport. We always brought ours on the magical express with us (they will store it underneath) that way we had it as soon as we got to the resort. I would just bring your own. The kids are probably more comfortable in their own stroller too.

You absolutely can check it through Magical Expressike your checked bags. We have definitely put a yellow tag on ours and it showed up in the room. However, I would caution that our stroller was heavily damaged by the airline as checked baggage(far worse than any gate check beating) so I would think carefully about doing so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter