Gatwick To London... how much time estimated?

crazymama

DIS Veteran
Hi! In the midst of planning our July/August trip to the UK (very excited!) and wondering if anyone has advice on roughly how long it would take for us to get into London, Victoria Station after landing at Gatwick. I realize that customs/luggage pick up etc is variable but any ballpark ideas would be great. We land at 10 am and need to get into London asap for another commitment. I wanted to book our train tickets in advance to save time but fear this is risky in case we are delayed. Also (and this may be a stupid question) does Victoria Station have big lockers to accommodate our luggage if we are unable to check into our flat early? Thank you for helping a befuddled Canadian!

Gatwick Express takes 30 mins to get to Victoria and runs every 15 mins. I must admit I have never notice a place to leave luggage, but that is because we are normally heading to the underground but apparently there is http://www.visitlondon.com/travelle...tion/baggage-left-luggage#Jx7kZG6MgGL4pfBg.97
Thank you very much for finding that out for me! And if the trains run that frequently I don't think I will book ahead. Maybe we will be through with the red tape quicker than I though so it would be bad to be locked into a particular train departure time. :)

Thank you very much for finding that out for me! And if the trains run that frequently I don't think I will book ahead. Maybe we will be through with the red tape quicker than I though so it would be bad to be locked into a particular train departure time. :)
We never pre book a time just get an anytime return ticket - buying in advance is always cheaper and there is an additional offer on duo tickets at the moment if you google Gatwick Express hope that helps!

There are no lockers but there is the left luggage place that someone else linked to. the luggage is all scanned and if there are any electronics they have to be taken out and scanned separately (although you can put them back in the luggage afterwards) so its best to have these in an easy to access place.
You will be charged for each item you leave so try and not leave too many bags/cases otherwise it can get expensive. You can do a dummy booking on the site linked to get an idea of cost.
Ive not used the one at Victoria station but have used it at Euston, St Pancras and Waterloo and have sometimes had to wait if there are a few others checking in bags as they only deal with one at a time. I never booked it in advance but just booked my case in when I arrived.

As well as the Gatwick express there is another train from Gatwick to Victoria which tends to be slightly slower but is often cheaper so when you get your tickets make sure you know which trains you can use with it

We never pre book a time just get an anytime return ticket - buying in advance is always cheaper and there is an additional offer on duo tickets at the moment if you google Gatwick Express hope that helps!
Thanks! I haven't taken the time to look at the Gatwick Express info. I assumed when you booked a ticket you picked a time! Anytime return sounds fabulous and I will book in advance to save time and money. Every bit helps as I fear this trip isn't going to be what we would call a budget excursion! :rolleyes1

There are no lockers but there is the left luggage place that someone else linked to. the luggage is all scanned and if there are any electronics they have to be taken out and scanned separately (although you can put them back in the luggage afterwards) so its best to have these in an easy to access place.
You will be charged for each item you leave so try and not leave too many bags/cases otherwise it can get expensive. You can do a dummy booking on the site linked to get an idea of cost.
Ive not used the one at Victoria station but have used it at Euston, St Pancras and Waterloo and have sometimes had to wait if there are a few others checking in bags as they only deal with one at a time. I never booked it in advance but just booked my case in when I arrived.

As well as the Gatwick express there is another train from Gatwick to Victoria which tends to be slightly slower but is often cheaper so when you get your tickets make sure you know which trains you can use with it
Thanks for the "heads up!" :thumbsup2

Thanks! I haven't taken the time to look at the Gatwick Express info. I assumed when you booked a ticket you picked a time! Anytime return sounds fabulous and I will book in advance to save time and money. Every bit helps as I fear this trip isn't going to be what we would call a budget excursion! :rolleyes1
Where are you planning to visit?

Where are you planning to visit?
We are starting in London for 5 nights. I think I will get a London Pass...as it covers most of the touristy things I want to see (The Tower, Kensington, Westminster Abby, Thames cruise). Other than than I want to go on the London Eye and see a few West End shows. Theatre is the big draw for us. Then we are heading to Paris for three nights. (So close... why not?). My daughter will have just graduated from school which has been French Immersion all the way. Now's her chance to test things out and keep us from getting lost lol. Then we are off to Edinburgh for 3 nights to see a dear friend who is studying there. And finally back to London for 2 more nights for my daughter before she flies off to NYC to meet up with her theatre group (spoiled kid) and 5 more nights for me!!!!!! Yes, three days alone in London (spoiled me!). Woohoo! We will take the Harry Potter Studio tour for sure (huge fans). We are very sad that tickets to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child are an impossible dream (right alongside Hamilton :(). And that is our grand adventure 2017 in a nutshell. If anyone has suggestions of things we shouldn't miss I would love to hear them!

Sounds like you have got your adventure sorted! There is so much to see in London and you have the main spots organised but there are areas that are not so much on the map that have interest and perhaps a little quieter after the manic popular ones. I would recommend Little Venice and take in Camden Market - if you google Little Venice walks you will find options.
I'm always disappointed when visitors don't come to our beautiful part of the country - Peak District - but with no transport the little villages and historic houses (like Chatsworth that you would adore) are difficult to get to. However if you have a desire to get out of London Chester is only a couple of hours by train and Oxford much closer and so much history.
Might be worth asking at ticket offices & bucket shops about any returns when you're actually there - when I used to visit regularly through business I would walk up and ask what they had for one person that day and always got something!

I used to live in London and used the Gatwick Express Train on a regular basis.

When you exit the Gatwick Airport baggage claim area out to the main concourse, follow the signs for trains. Gatwick Express has red branding. There are 2 options for tickets, the self service machines or the ticket desk. You can also book your tickets online but you need a chip and pin card to collect them at the self service machines.

The trains leave every 30 minutes on from Gatwick airport. When you have your ticket just follow the signs to the Gatwick Express Platform. You need to put your ticket through the turnstile to open the gate. The journey to Victoria Station takes 30 minutes and is direct / non stop When you get to Victoria Station you need to put your ticket in the turnstile to exit the platform.

I have also used the Left Luggage in Victoria Station. You put your bag through a scanner and they ask you a few security questions. You sign a form and they give you a reclaim ticket. When you return you give your ticket to get back your bag. You pay when you collect your bag, based on how long your bag has been stored.

Sounds like you have got your adventure sorted! There is so much to see in London and you have the main spots organised but there are areas that are not so much on the map that have interest and perhaps a little quieter after the manic popular ones. I would recommend Little Venice and take in Camden Market - if you google Little Venice walks you will find options.
I'm always disappointed when visitors don't come to our beautiful part of the country - Peak District - but with no transport the little villages and historic houses (like Chatsworth that you would adore) are difficult to get to. However if you have a desire to get out of London Chester is only a couple of hours by train and Oxford much closer and so much history.
Might be worth asking at ticket offices & bucket shops about any returns when you're actually there - when I used to visit regularly through business I would walk up and ask what they had for one person that day and always got something!
Thanks for your suggestions! I have, in the past, explored more rural parts of England and loved everywhere that I went! We had family friends who lived in a place called Potters Bar in Hertfordshire and visited them a few times from the late 70's onward. They would take us on adventures to the south and north of London and I have such wonderful memories of those days. Your country is lovely!

I used to live in London and used the Gatwick Express Train on a regular basis.

When you exit the Gatwick Airport baggage claim area out to the main concourse, follow the signs for trains. Gatwick Express has red branding. There are 2 options for tickets, the self service machines or the ticket desk. You can also book your tickets online but you need a chip and pin card to collect them at the self service machines.

The trains leave every 30 minutes on from Gatwick airport. When you have your ticket just follow the signs to the Gatwick Express Platform. You need to put your ticket through the turnstile to open the gate. The journey to Victoria Station takes 30 minutes and is direct / non stop When you get to Victoria Station you need to put your ticket in the turnstile to exit the platform.

I have also used the Left Luggage in Victoria Station. You put your bag through a scanner and they ask you a few security questions. You sign a form and they give you a reclaim ticket. When you return you give your ticket to get back your bag. You pay when you collect your bag, based on how long your bag has been stored.
Thank you for that detailed information! I may end up using the luggage service and really glad it's an option!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!