General vs VIP for KA WA‘A – A Lū‘au

moab44

Earning My Ears
Hi
I checked the hotel site and for the time when we go on our trip only the general sitting is available for the Luau.
Is there much of a difference. Will the family still enjoy the night?
Thanks

I was wondering what the difference in leis are for the two. The VIP says and "enhanced" lei, whats the regular one?

I was wondering what the difference in leis are for the two. The VIP says and "enhanced" lei, whats the regular one?
I believe the regular leis are the purple orchids and the enhanced are shells. I didn’t do the Aulani luau—we did Paradise Cove—but that seemed pretty standard wording on other stuff we did. I wouldn’t consider it a factor in your decision—you’ll probably wind up with several leis if you’re there very long.

These are the VIP leis.
38-AD5667-6-C92-45-D7-A61-B-2-BA0-F296-A33-C.jpg

They are nice, heavy "keepsake" type leis. I don't remember for sure but I believe the non-VIP leis were a plain kukui nut one for the guys (no shells) and a much simpler (like one or two strand) shell one for the ladies. There is a station in the pre-show activities where you can make orchid leis but I don't think they were handing them out to anyone (and actually at the station they have you make bracelets or anklets instead of necklaces. I can't recall the other name for them when they're not necklaces). All that said, I agree that this probably should not be a deciding factor on VIP vs non.

Forgot to add- for VIP kids get a necklace with a large wooden Maui's hook but I don't know where my kids' ones are right now, sorry. I am not sure what kids get for non-VIP

Last edited:

Hi
I checked the hotel site and for the time when we go on our trip only the general sitting is available for the Luau.
Is there much of a difference. Will the family still enjoy the night?
Thanks

We stayed at Aulani last August and very much enjoyed the VIP access for the luau. The primary differences were:

1. Early access to the space and activities
  2. The "enhanced" leis (already mentioned and pictured above)
  3. Adult beverages before and during the event; we were provided one immediately after taking the picture with two members of the cast, but then our wristbands allowed us unlimited trips to the bar afterwards
  4. Seating closer to the main stage; we ended up being in the second set of table to the left, facing the stage, and enjoyed the view very much
  5. Priority access to the buffet...which I admit, was nice; once everyone finished their first visit through the food, we were ready for a second pass! And the food was mostly excellent!
Overall, we paid a pretty penny for the VIP tickets, but we found them to be worth every cent.

These are the VIP leis.
38-AD5667-6-C92-45-D7-A61-B-2-BA0-F296-A33-C.jpg

They are nice, heavy "keepsake" type leis. I don't remember for sure but I believe the non-VIP leis were a plain kukui nut one for the guys (no shells) and a much simpler (like one or two strand) shell one for the ladies. There is a station in the pre-show activities where you can make orchid leis but I don't think they were handing them out to anyone (and actually at the station they have you make bracelets or anklets instead of necklaces. I can't recall the other name for them when they're not necklaces). All that said, I agree that this probably should not be a deciding factor on VIP vs non.

Forgot to add- for VIP kids get a necklace with a large wooden Maui's hook but I don't know where my kids' ones are right now, sorry. I am not sure what kids get for non-VIP
That looks like popcorn????:crazy:

I've not done general seating at the Luau, but I can tell you that VIP was worth it (and I don't drink, so I'm not factoring in the free alcohol). It's also the single best Luau I've ever seen anywhere. The show was amazing. I ended up with a seat down in front at the first table on the right. Food is also fantastic!! If VIP isn't available, I would still do general seating. The show is so good it will ruin other luaus for you!

Our family did general seating. We got there early and when we got seated we had a nice view of the main stage as well as the mini ones. I couldn't tell you where our leis are or even what the kids got because they were not that important after that night. My opinion is if you drink then vip might be worth it since the drinks were pricey, the view wasn't much better as a vip than a general as long as you get there early (stage is up high for all to see), and the food is the same for both tiers.

Our family did general seating. We got there early and when we got seated we had a nice view of the main stage as well as the mini ones. I couldn't tell you where our leis are or even what the kids got because they were not that important after that night. My opinion is if you drink then vip might be worth it since the drinks were pricey, the view wasn't much better as a vip than a general as long as you get there early (stage is up high for all to see), and the food is the same for both tiers.
do you remember what your leis looked like?

Wondering if you can downgrade to a flower lei? I already have quite a few of those styles of leis and don't need another.

Wondering if you can downgrade to a flower lei? I already have quite a few of those styles of leis and don't need another.

I don’t believe they were handing out flower leis to anyone at the luau. Depending on how close it is to your arrival day you could just wear your arrival lei down and politely decline the shell lei.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter