Genie Plus - Experiences and Reviews

Yes. Here’s our experience from this past week. I traveled with a group of 11. Our first day at Disneyland (Tuesday the 26th) we were able to get an MEP at opening which we used to accelerate throughout the day. Our last LL booked was for MMRR which began at 11:20. That ended up going down and we got an MEP which we could use anytime that night or the next day. Obviously we chose to use it the next day at DCA (Wednesday the 27th) which enabled us to accelerate throughout the day there. We did not have park hoppers, but I could have booked attractions over at Disneyland if we’d wanted to. Our last day (Thursday the 28th) we did not get an MEP, but still had a great day focusing on less visited attractions mingled in with our LL selections. We had a great trip even during a very busy spring break week.
Sounds like a great trip!
What does your day look like when you accelerate? Do you sprinkle low wait standby rides in between? Do you decide to do standby for LL rides if the wait isn't long and save LL for that ride later when standby is longer? Still trying to wrap my head around this.

Reflecting on four days of Genie this past week. Would have been worse without accelerating an MEP 3 of 4 days, but it was Spring Break. Did we get on all the LL rides? Yes, but with heads in phones so much, missed the little details from in ques and around the park that makes them so special. It was almost as if they could have just built warehouses with all the rides with no theming until you boarded the attractions. "Lightning" Lanes most times were anything but, sometimes approaching or more than half the standby times. The fastpass system was superior in everyway to us, and yes that's our opinion and yours may vary. Stress levels trying to manage the system subtracted from the enjoyment of the parks. Love Disneyland and WDW and understand they are completely different systems, but Express Pass in UO is far better.

Sounds like a great trip!
What does your day look like when you accelerate? Do you sprinkle low wait standby rides in between? Do you decide to do standby for LL rides if the wait isn't long and save LL for that ride later when standby is longer? Still trying to wrap my head around this.
We did a mix of low wait standby and being able to immediately use our next LL. We did utilize the first hour after park opening for standby lines, and we rode a lot of standby attractions after fireworks to closing time. You do have to watch the app to make sure popular attractions LL times don’t book up. Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, Matterhorn etc often ran out of slots for the day by late afternoon

Thanks to everyone on this thread that explained how to accelerate a MEP...on our very first day in the park (Thursday last week)...we got a MEP on the very first Lightning Lane (Matterhorn) we booked. Because of that, we were able to ride EVERY LL eligible ride by the end of the day. Of course, for the next three days of our vacation I was phishing for another one (ended up getting one a little before noon on Sunday when Indy went down).

Sort of glad we didn't get one every day so we were "forced" to toggle between both LL and non LL attractions both days so we got to experience the queues and relax in line instead of walking between only LL rides.

Thanks to everyone on this thread that explained how to accelerate a MEP...on our very first day in the park (Thursday last week)...we got a MEP on the very first Lightning Lane (Matterhorn) we booked. Because of that, we were able to ride EVERY LL eligible ride by the end of the day. Of course, for the next three days of our vacation I was phishing for another one (ended up getting one a little before noon on Sunday when Indy went down).

Sort of glad we didn't get one every day so we were "forced" to toggle between both LL and non LL attractions both days so we got to experience the queues and relax in line instead of walking between only LL rides.

Nice! Acceleration is awesome so you don't have the criss-cross the park, but rather riding the next closest LL ride to where you are.

And we also had fun riding non-LL rides while we fished for Gold-Tier MEPs. My DS14 really liked the process of hunting for MEPs, so it was fun to involve the whole family and celebrate together when the MEP triggered.

What do you think would be the best strategy to maximize my time with a 1 day park hopper starting at DL? Also planning on a mid-day break, then head to DCA. What gold tier MEPs should I look for?

Does anyone have insight on how daily Genie (+) pricing changes? I will be there first week of April and didn't buy Genie plus with the tickets. So far it's been $30 the last few days I checked. Will it be busier in April with higher Genie plus prices? Any chance of it selling out?
G+ can and does sell out. In October of last year, which is one of the busiest times at DLR, it sold out in the morning several days in a row. So if you plan to buy it during a busy time, be at the parks early and purchase it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter