Get yer lugs on we're going to Disney - July 16 TR (update 8/11) Football and Chili's

I finished up work last week - although I did go in for a whole day to try and clear some unfinished tasks. We are going away on holiday next weekend. Over the last few days I have managed to book our car hire, overnight airport hotel for way back, parking and water park tickets. Some things I have ended up paying a good bit more for as I have left things so late to book. The important thing is they are booked. Our weather just now is dismal and I am looking forward to some time in the sun!
Getting things done sure feels great! I'm sure you're looking forward to that very much, as I'm one who knows very well what dismal weather is. ;)

I"m sure by now you are off and away! Have a marvelous time, Lady. :)

The pictures are really great! I can understand why you made sure to get them secured before you left. I'm sorry you missed Seven Dwarfs Mine Train but being the Grand Marshall's really made up for it.

Read your trip report up to this point. So well done, and love all the photos. Your family is beautiful.

Following. :)

:welcome:Thanks for joining us! We are only on Day 2 so lots more to come! I really enjoy getting to spend time with the family on holiday.

How wonderful your Grand Marshal experience must have been! Thanks for sharing the amazing photos they took for you. :)

It was a wonderful experience that I never imagined we would get to do. Happy to share photos with people who get it as people in real life outside immediate family aren't particularly interested.

Getting things done sure feels great! I'm sure you're looking forward to that very much, as I'm one who knows very well what dismal weather is. ;)

We don't get a lot of warm weather in Scotland. We have to dig out the shorts for those couple of weeks when we go away our holidays.

I"m sure by now you are off and away! Have a marvelous time, Lady. :)

No. I'm still at home getting ready. We are flying out this weekend. I'll try my best to enjoy having no schedule.

The pictures are really great! I can understand why you made sure to get them secured before you left.

I'm glad you like them. I've mixed them in with some of my own. Unfortunately the large number made the download from Photopass extremely slow.

I'm sorry you missed Seven Dwarfs Mine Train but being the Grand Marshall's really made up for it.

Being the Grand Marshal was a once in a lifetime experience. You are so right that we could do Seven Dwarfs Mine Train another day.

An experience worth waiting out in the heat for. Such a wonderful experience, thanks for sharing it with us!

Thanks for sticking around to see to the end of the parade. You have proven your ability to stay out in the July heat. We have only visited WDW in July/August so we don't know any other way. I hope you get your share of pixie dust on your upcoming trip. Enjoy!
pixiedust:

We have to dig out the shorts for those couple of weeks when we go away our holidays.

We only get a couple of months worth of shorts weather as well, so always make the most of them. :)

No. I'm still at home getting ready. We are flying out this weekend. I'll try my best to enjoy having no schedule.

Yes, enjoy that fully!! Yeeahaw!!!

I must apologise for leaving you out in the baking heat for so long. How rude of me!

Would a small hug help?

Well it couldn't hurt!

But... maybe I owe you one! I'm wayyyy behind. (but catching up now!)

We made lots of new friends that day!

:goodvibes

Alice even invited Hannah to join her in Wonderland.

Did she go? Do you miss her?

Children it's not kind to make donkey noises at Pinocchio!

:laughing:

Nice! One more last perk!

Fred gave us an anytime Fast Pass in case we missed our final Fast Pass.

Nope! Apparently there was another last perk. Not bad!

We hot tailed it over to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train which went down while we were in the queue. Although we were able to select another Fast Pass we decided we had had enough for one day.

Too bad... but you'd had a pretty full day! And an amazing one!

I parked Hannah and Peter on bench with one of their favourite snacks, Frozen lemonade,

Yum! Yes please!

Caught up. I have had life keeping me busy and away from the boards lately. That is so great you got to be the Grand Marshalls. I did it unofficially a few years ago. I was trying to get out of Magic Kingdom quickly and a cast member told me to go down the middle of Main Street. I realized I was riding right behind the Grand Marshall car and people were waving to me. I just waved back and got out of there quickly.

I am finishing up my TR quickly and Scotland will be going up in the next day or two in case you want to pop over. Even better I may be heading back to Scotland next year. My mom and I are talking about going on the tour again.

Popping in to say howdy! :) Summer still going well? I know you've been to Tenerife; any other plans before school starts? (Sorry if you've already said, still trying to catch up after a couple of busy weeks.)

I realized I was riding right behind the Grand Marshall car and people were waving to me. I just waved back and got out of there quickly.

You might as well use the cleared path and it would be rude not to wave back!

I am finishing up my TR quickly and Scotland will be going up in the next day or two in case you want to pop over.

You are doing really well with the updates. I'm following along!

How was it?

It was really good. We had a good balance of relaxation, activity and family time. I may do a highlights with a few photos. I will try and finish up Day 2 here first.

Popping in to say howdy!
:wave: Glad you could pop in? Would you like a coffee or a glass of wine?

Summer still going well?
Yes- the weather has been atrocious which has put a bit of a dampener on things.

I know you've been to Tenerife; any other plans before school starts? (Sorry if you've already said, still trying to catch up after a couple of busy weeks.)

We haven't been up to much. I have been researching holidays for next summer. We should be going back to WDW but the others have decided they would rather wait till 2019 when Star Wars land will be open. The price increase is awful. I pulled up some old spreadsheets for 2015 for onsite stays and the prices for next summer have increased 37-41%. A lot of that will be down to our poor exchange rate following the vote to leave Europe. #blameBrexit is used a lot here. Anyway the UK government have imposed a pay cap of 1% maximum on public sector workers. There may be a decrease in UK visitors to WDW or people might still keep coming even if they can't afford it.

Anyway I've wasted far too much time planning possible holidays for next summer. So far I have planned a West Coast US holiday - I really like this option but Alan reckons it could work out expensive by the time we factor in meals, parking, attraction tickets etc. I then looked at all inclusive in Mexico which then got us thinking we could do similar in Europe without the long flight. I then poured through all inclusive options in Europe then I got to thinking I really don't like being stuck in a hotel round a pool or in a busy dining room. Then we thought what about similar to what we did this summer with separate flights, apartment and car hire?

Oops just had to run out and grab the washing that was outside. It had gone dark and I heard the rain on the window. Into the tumble-drier it goes. :laundy::umbrella:

Anyway I have now scunnered myself looking at holidays and at the moment I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I go back to work at the end of next week but plan to go in at the start of the week to get things organised for the start of term.

Hi
We were looking to go in 2018 as well but like you point out the prices have increased drastically and that was even with the dinning plan included.There is also a lot of construction on going as well in the studios park and it looks like it is going to start soon in the magic kingdom as well for the tron ride.We have two years until brexit ( I think that we can blame brexit for the drop in the exchange rate ) is sorted out so it may even be after 2019 before we can get back Hopefully our pound will recover some so 2019 becomes a reality.Our weather here on the east coast has just been as bad as yours raining virtually everyday.

Hi! :welcome: to the trip report. Good to have you here!

There is also a lot of construction on going as well in the studios park and it looks like it is going to start soon in the magic kingdom as well for the tron ride.

There certainly is a lot of construction planned.

I think that we can blame brexit for the drop in the exchange rate

Absolutely we can blame Brexit. I certainly can't see any benefit to it but then again most Scots didn't vote for it.

Hopefully our pound will recover some so 2019 becomes a reality

We can but hope. Well hopefully we both manage to go in 2019. What time of year would you go?

Our weather here on the east coast has just been as bad as yours raining virtually everyday.

Usually it's drier in the East. A pretty appalling summer all round.

Day Two Part Thirteen: Where did our evening go?

We were much later leaving the park than we had planned. We had planned to leave the park early afternoon in order to get groceries at Walmart. Peter was really keen to go to the Premium Outlets. He wanted to buy a pair of Stan Smith’s – a UK Disney forum had reported that they were doing some great deals on them at the Premium Outlets. Alan dropped Peter and I off at the outlets and he went with Hannah to the Walmart on Vineland Road. It was really busy at the outlets. We had a look at a number of the shoe stores but there were no offers on Stan Smith’s in the adult section. Although Peter was only 11 his feet had recently grown to a 6.5 UK (US 7). We had a look in Journeys and he tried on a pair. They were regular price - $80. This was about the same price as the UK. He had $100 spending money from his Gran and Grandpa and decided this was a good use for it. He has had good use out of them although they are too small now. I stopped off at Disney’s Character Warehouse and purchased a Walt Disney World t-shirt. Alan and Hannah didn’t get finished at Walmart until about 7pm. They hit really bad traffic on the way there and on the way back for us.

The plan for this evening was to eat out at Hash House A Go Go. I have no idea why we persisted with this plan given how late it was by the time we got back to the apartment, put the groceries away, had showers and got changed. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We should have popped in somewhere local or brought in a pizza. Hash House A Go Go was probably only 9 or 10 miles away but the traffic was busy and we were all tired. I knew from reviews I had read that portions were large so we had agreed that we would share 2 main meals. Our server Rodney was really good and he happily brought us extra plates and cutlery.

I wanted to try the Kiwi Watermelon Lemonade. It looked pretty but I didn’t really like it perhaps I should have gone for the spiked version. The time that I have for this photo being taken is 9.22 p.m. which shows how delayed we were.

I had read previously that they bring biscuits and honey butter but we didn’t get any. We let Hannah and Peter choose the meals. Hannah ordered Sage Fried Chicken Penne Pasta. Hannah is a big pasta fan. She shared this with Alan.

Peter ordered the Big O’ Chicken Pot Pie.

I am really glad we had decided to share. It took a bit of work to split this particularly trying to get the solid bit of pastry to split. Even with half a portion I couldn’t nearly finish. I think I only managed a quarter of the pie. It was very filling. Just as well they didn’t bring any biscuits. We declined desserts and got our bill. I had purchased a $40 for $20 voucher which covered most of the meal. By the time we left Hash House a Go Go it was 10.15 p.m. We all just wanted to get to bed.

Hi
We like yourselfs had to go during the school holidays October was our best tlme to go as we had two weeks then and the weather was warm about 85 but no humidity and very little rain also the Halloween time is a great time in all the parks.We also have been in July last time 2014 was in July as October was out that time. Would like to go November/December for a change to catch the Christmas shows but as you know we have no direct flights from our airports during these months.Both my kids are now grown up son now lives and works in Oxford and my daughter is at uni so even October is now off limits as a family group now.It was only my daughter that came in 2014.If you ever get the chance I recommend October as a time to go if you get the chance the crowds are resonable as well.If the flights are the same from our airports it will have to be in October 2019 but as star wars land should be open I suspect that the crowds will be very big then as well.
That's the one thing we have not done yet is go to a shopping mall as I must admit that my navigation skills when driving a car in Florida is not very good I even got lost leaving Orlando international and had to pull into a macdonalds for directions once.The only place I drove to was Sea world and universal will have to get a sat nav next time so we can visit the malls.We stayed on property and used the resort buses mostly to get around.Good you managed to get Peters shoes that he wanted.Have read that the Character warehouse can be a hit or a miss for stock.

We haven't been up to much. I have been researching holidays for next summer. We should be going back to WDW but the others have decided they would rather wait till 2019 when Star Wars land will be open. The price increase is awful. I pulled up some old spreadsheets for 2015 for onsite stays and the prices for next summer have increased 37-41%. A lot of that will be down to our poor exchange rate following the vote to leave Europe. #blameBrexit is used a lot here. Anyway the UK government have imposed a pay cap of 1% maximum on public sector workers. There may be a decrease in UK visitors to WDW or people might still keep coming even if they can't afford it.

That is an incredible price jump.
We've felt the same when our dollar went from $1 to $0.75.

We had planned to leave the park early afternoon in order to get groceries at Walmart.

But you certainly had a good reason to stay!

Peter was really keen to go to the Premium Outlets. He wanted to buy a pair of Stan Smith’s

I had to Google (then later saw you mentioned shoes) are they very popular on your side of the pond?

He had $100 spending money from his Gran and Grandpa and decided this was a good use for it.

Kid gets cash... spends on clothes.... :faint:

I wanted to try the Kiwi Watermelon Lemonade. It looked pretty but I didn’t really like it

Too bad. It does look pretty.

The time that I have for this photo being taken is 9.22 p.m.

Meh. You're on holidays. Eat whenever you want. I remember stopping with the family for pizza in Paris... at 11pm.

I had read previously that they bring biscuits and honey butter but we didn’t get any.

Robbed!!!!!

Those look huge! No wonder you shared!

By the time we left Hash House a Go Go it was 10.15 p.m. We all just wanted to get to bed.

Long day. Good night!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We should have popped in somewhere local or brought in a pizza.

Given the time, this was probably a better plan, but at least now you can say you've done the Hash House. And it looked good too!

I knew from reviews I had read that portions were large so we had agreed that we would share 2 main meals.

We almost ALWAYS do that. Just way too much food at MOST places nowadays.

It looked pretty but I didn’t really like it

It really did look refreshing and pretty too; sorry it wasn't so yummy. :( So disappointing when you look forward to something and isn't as good as you'd hoped.

34813667842_d68c3e5c30_c.jpg

WHOA! That looks fabulous! I love me a good pasta too.

I am really glad we had decided to share. It took a bit of work to split this particularly trying to get the solid bit of pastry to split. Even with half a portion I couldn’t nearly finish.

I get that. Those meals looks enormous! And delicious to boot. I never feel guilty for leaving food behind anymore. If you eat beyond full, you pay for it in compromised health and well, I just feel gross if I eat past full.

We all just wanted to get to bed.

No doubt! Late after a long day!

We like yourselfs had to go during the school holidays October was our best tlme to go as we had two weeks then and the weather was warm about 85 but no humidity and very little rain also the Halloween time is a great time in all the parks.
If you ever get the chance I recommend October as a time to go if you get the chance the crowds are resonable as well.

October would be my preferred time to go for all the reasons you give. Unfortunately schools on the West coast only get one week off in October. I have campaigned for years to take off the 2 days in September and 3 days in May in order to get 2 weeks in October. Until then it will need to be July.

That's the one thing we have not done yet is go to a shopping mall as I must admit that my navigation skills when driving a car in Florida is not very good

We don't shop that much particularly now that the exchange rate is so poor. It is also a really hard job persuading Hannah to leave the theme parks. I got Canada and US maps for my Tom Tom for our trip to Canada a number of years ago. I now have a built-in Sat Nav in my car so I just keep it set up with the US maps for trips to Orlando.

Have read that the Character warehouse can be a hit or a miss for stock.

You never know what you will find - over the years we've got a few good items.

October has gotten crazy busy recently. Some of the schools in the US go back in August and get a break in October. The crowds have definitely picked up but it is a great time to visit. I'm taking my grandkids down in November/December this year for the holiday decorations. They will miss school but we will contact the teachers to see if there is any work they can take with us. They just will have to be very careful about not getting sick this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter