Getting from Disneyland to Universal Hollywood and VIP Express Pass?

MissMagnolia

DIS Veteran
Hi All!

I just posted this in the Universal Studios thread because I didn't see this one! We are traveling to Disneyland in July and decided to take a day to go to Universal Hollywood. What is the best way to get from the Disneyland area to Universal? We do not have a rental car.

Also, since we have one day, what are your thoughts on the VIP express pass experience? Worth it?

TIA!

The best way is Lux Bus - leaves Anaheim at 7:30AM and leaves Universal around 7PM.

The VIP experience is well worth the money for a one day visit.

The bus limits your hours at USH if you like to get there at opening and stay till closing. The cheapest and most flexible is to rent a car for the day. Have gotten cars for $25 on Hotwire. Bus is sure convenient though!

Just returned from our trip. We rented a car and drove to universal studios from Disney. I didn’t want to move hotels for one night. The VIP tour was worth every penny! They fed us breakfast and a buffet lunch. We toured the entire park by 5:30.

I am trying to get up to speed on Universal and the VIP program quickly, as we may try to do one day at USH in the middle of our DLR trips that starts 1/2! We really want to see Harry Potter world primarily. I have read about the VIP tour, but it seems like it is not just our family but a group? How do they decide if you are going to stay and ride one ride 5 times in a row or go on to something else if it is a group? We have done the VIP at WDW several times, but that is just our family so we have total control over the itinerary for the day. Can someone please explain more how it works for the VIP day?

I am trying to get up to speed on Universal and the VIP program quickly, as we may try to do one day at USH in the middle of our DLR trips that starts 1/2! We really want to see Harry Potter world primarily. I have read about the VIP tour, but it seems like it is not just our family but a group? How do they decide if you are going to stay and ride one ride 5 times in a row or go on to something else if it is a group? We have done the VIP at WDW several times, but that is just our family so we have total control over the itinerary for the day. Can someone please explain more how it works for the VIP day?
The group vip tour follows a schedule that the guide creates and usually includes most of the rides once and at least one show plus the extended backlot tour. The group maxes out at 16 people and they have several groups leaving at 15-30 min intervals throughout the morning. There are also options for getting a private vip guide for the day that either includes or doesn’t include the extended backlot portion, you have to call to book that options. If you are used to the wdw vip touring style then you would probably want to do the private option.

Edit: Someone my backstage magic ABD did the private tour without the extended backlot portion. They posted about the pricing in this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...-7-2018-sold-out.3609772/page-5#post-59759104

Last edited:

I am also planning a one day trip to Universal during a Disney trip in July/August. Renting a car is a LOT cheaper but my sanity is priceless so will be looking into Lansky or other SUV service for our family of 7. Has anyone used Uber for a trip like this with this many people?

The group vip tour follows a schedule that the guide creates and usually includes most of the rides once and at least one show plus the extended backlot tour. The group maxes out at 16 people and they have several groups leaving at 15-30 min intervals throughout the morning. There are also options for getting a private vip guide for the day that either includes or doesn’t include the extended backlot portion, you have to call to book that options. If you are used to the wdw vip touring style then you would probably want to do the private option.

Edit: Someone my backstage magic ABD did the private tour without the extended backlot portion. They posted about the pricing in this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...-7-2018-sold-out.3609772/page-5#post-59759104

Thank you very much. That is extremely helpful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!