Getting Nervous ,to Fly...

L

LISALISA36

GETTING A LITTLE NERVOUS ABOUT OUR FLIGHT...
I HAVE ONLY FLOWN TWICE AND THEY WERE BOTH O.K..
I AM AFRAID OF TURBULENCE..... :(
I HAVE HEARD SOME HORROR STORIES....

Flying is the safest way to travel. Turbulence is not really dangerous in and of itself, it has to get REALLY bad before it can do harm and it is picked up on radar and if it is severe they will fly around it. They are not going to put pax and multi million dollar airplanes at risk. I kind of look at it as a thrill ride.

I used to be a "white knuckle" flyer, but, over time I got over that, and I look forward to flying.

Just as an aside, please don't type in all caps. it hurts the eyes, is difficult to read and makes it appear that you are yelling (all caps in computer "talk" means yelling). Thank you in advance.

I think once you have more experience you will feel better. It was that way in my case. I flew for the first time when I was 19 or 20, didn't like it. The next time I was about 27, wasn't bad but still didn't like it. Both times I was traveling with someone else on business. Then when I was about 31 I had to go on a business trip by myself. Was very nervous but I did it and everything was fine. After that, I started feeling more confident and started flying for pleasure trips in addition to business and got used to it. I think now I'm getting too used to it. I had a 1 day business trip last month where I had a 7:45am flight. This was 1 week after a WDW trip. I didn't have luggage so I thought I didn't need extra time. I almost missed it! Getting too casual about it! :eek:

Being nervous about flying is quite natural, especially with all that is going on. As far as turbulence goes, I agree with Gail. Pilots make every effort to stay out of the turbulence (or chop as it is called by pilots). Of course it is always not possible to do that based on the flight plan and what mother nature decides to throw at us that day but rest assurred, they will make every attempt to give you the smoothest ride possible. I view turbulence as something similar to hitting a pothole or bump in the road. It can be a nusiance but thats about it.

Look out the window and enjoy the wonderful cloud formations. It really is an amazing site.

If your travels to Orlando happen to be on United. Tune into Channell 9 as you will be able to hear your pilots interact with Air Traffic Control. It makes for a nice diversion on the trip and you'll know when you are decending or making a turn.

Have a great trip..............and relax!

Thank You for all tthe great responses,,,i feel much better!
i am so excited!!!!

Gail Hayden,
Sorry about the caps!

Lisa,
I am glad we could help and I am glad you feel much better about flying.

No prob. about the caps, you simply did not know. :)

I am a nervous flyer also and I found that a prescription for xanax from my Dr. does the trick for me, helps to take the edge off the nervous feeling!

Xanax is a wonderful, but, overprescribed drug. Often you need to take it for up to one week for any benefit to be present. Some people are lucky and pop a pill and it works, others, well, they are not so lucky, it does not work. The side effects of this drug need to be explored before taking, and that is where a physician comes in. IMHO, a Bloody Mary works wonders. It is quick, resonably priced and with no lingering side effects (if you stop at one. :) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter