GF review?

ChrisParker

DIS Veteran
Hello there

I am a recent podcast discoverer and fanatic so please excuse this probably dumb question.

I keep hearing lately about the awfulness of Pete's recent trip to the GF. But I don't see it posted. Have I missed it somehow or is it still to come out? Or maybe it is somewhere I haven't looked?

*Not complaining* that it's not out yet. Love the Dis. Love the Podcast. Just want to make sure I hear it.

Thanks! :)

Awesome sauce. Thanks. I feel like I'm asking to watch a train wreck that I won't be able to look away from which seems wrong but I just have to know!

I think he mentioned there would be a review. It usually takes a while from shooting the review until the edit it together and release it. And I think they just shot a bunch of reviews at once so it’ll be coming. I can’t wait to see it.

I do have a follow up question to his mini review. He mentioned how great boardwalk resort is especially concierge. what makes it so great there and can it be great without concierge. have they renovated their rooms? is it a great location? because i know yacht and beach club were renovated and he gave it a good review but what is it particularly about the boardwalk that stood out ? I have never stayed there so I wanted to know more.

I'm also curious about his Grand Floridian review. I stayed there once and my experience didn't even qualify as mediocre (long story short, we've had better experiences at the All-Stars).

Hello there

I am a recent podcast discoverer and fanatic so please excuse this probably dumb question.

I keep hearing lately about the awfulness of Pete's recent trip to the GF. But I don't see it posted. Have I missed it somehow or is it still to come out? Or maybe it is somewhere I haven't looked?

*Not complaining* that it's not out yet. Love the Dis. Love the Podcast. Just want to make sure I hear it.

The review is now on youtube! Can't wait to watch!

So glad this was finally posted. I agree with him 100%. Staying there is not worth the cost, not even for one night.
We also had a theme park view room when we stayed there a couple years ago (I don't remember the building name/number).

:thumbsup2 The guys out front (at the hotel entrance) were nice.

👎 Check-in took a ridiculously long time, well over an hour (the excuse being that the manager was inspecting the room--more on that later).

👎 👎 Check-in cast members were very snobbish, acting like they had better things to do and I was wasting their time, that my mere presence was somehow offensive.

:thumbsup2 The main lobby definitely had a "wow" factor, definitely a sense of luxury.

👎 👎 Maintenance people were rude (we were almost plowed into by one of their golf carts or whatever, no apologies from them, just a mean look and some grumbling).

👎 The building we stayed in, they were doing some work out front and we had to squeeze around all this equipment they had scattered around the walkway. No help, no apologies, no effort to move the equipment (even small stuff, like a hose).

:thumbsup2 The "mousekeepers" were nice/friendly.

👎 👎 👎 👎 👎 The so-called "inspection" that the manager did, I don't think actually happened (or it wasn't that thorough), because there was bird crap all over the balcony (the railing/banister, not the chairs) and it had obviously been there for a while. No stains to speak of, but the furniture was definitely a bit worn and the wallpaper needed replaced (it was peeling in some areas). The shower head was also not entirely attached to the wall (you could easily see the hole/pipe behind it).

👎 We had the character breakfast at 1900 Park Fare the following morning, the server was rude (often completely ignoring us).

:thumbsup2 Check-out was a breeze (thank gods).

I have zero intentions of ever staying there again.

(As a small comparison, we stayed at Port Orleans: Riverside the following night. My only complaints with that: one of the ceiling lamps was a bit dusty, and the walls seemed thin--we could easily hear a kid in the neighboring room having a temper tantrum. Those two things aside, everything else at that resort (including all of the cast members we encountered) was excellent. That is one I would stay at again.)

We stay at Poly a lot as its my favorite but we are finally doing a week at GF this fall for a change of pace and because we needed two bedrooms. Of course we are getting a 2 bedroom STD view villas for roughly the same price a night as Pete's rooms, so that will reduce my expectations a little :) . But while staying at the Poly we frequent GF a lot and the front staff, outside maintenance crew, store workers, and server/restaurant staff have always been very very nice to us. I could type a long list of moments that stick out in my mind but I wont.

Here is my opinion, and its just that my opinion...

People book a 800 dollar a night room and expect a Four Seasons / Ritz quality property. And while its a very nice property, its not a 5 star resort. In my opinion you are paying 500 or so for the room and the other 300 is your proximity to and view of the park. For $500-600 a night YOU CAN get that quality at the on property Four Seasons, of course without the location advantage. And people deserve to expect that level from the GF for that cost, Im sure thats what Pete would argue. But the reality is, its not that, and setting expectations would help a lot with being frustrated about your stay there. Im guessing a lot of people arrive expecting Four Seasons level service and are shocked when they dont get it for the cost. Service here seems to be like a good Hilton hotel not a Four Seasons : ) .

Hello there

I hope one comes out, I have CL at GF in August and I very much value his opinion.

My expectations were pretty basic/standard, and apply to anywhere I stay (whether at Disney or Oregon or Maine or wherever):
-The staff should be nice and treat guests with some common courtesy or basic respect, not like they are a burden or waste of space.
-The room should be clean and not falling apart in various places (especially after supposedly being inspected by a manager).

It does not seem unreasonable to get frustrated when those expectations are not met.

I think I am just cheap as I was shocked at the cost of that room. That looked like a $200/night room. Granted paying for location and view but even doubling that gets you to $400 not near $800!

And even if it is a cheap place, unless you are rude to them you shouldn't have to deal with rude staff

I think I am just cheap as I was shocked at the cost of that room. That looked like a $200/night room. Granted paying for location and view but even doubling that gets you to $400 not near $800!

And even if it is a cheap place, unless you are rude to them you shouldn't have to deal with rude staff
Yeah I definitely wouldn’t pay $700+ for that room. I’d much rather go BC or BW club level. I’ve had door issues at Pop and gotten better customer service than that.

Honestly, I think my refurbished room at Pop Century was just as nice as that room. And then if you want to compare it to a room at The Poly? It's absolutely no contest... the Poly wins every time.

I will never understand why Disney considers The Grand their flagship resort and not The Poly. The Poly has better theme, better atmosphere, better rooms, and same great location (even better since it's a closer walk to the monorail for EPCOT).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!