Ghosts of the Galaxy Scary

dmcdixie

Mouseketeer
I do not understand why Disney does Ghosts of the Galaxy! IT is so frustrating. It is way to scary and creepy for kids and it ruins space mountain for 8 weeks. I was creeped out and I am an adult. It is so frustrating and feels very unhappy like!

I actually look forward to it every year. I've never found it scary myself, but I can see how some might. For me, it's on par with having a ride about a mansion filled with ghosts including one who loses his head into a box and a bride who has clearly beheaded her husbands.

I'm not even sure how I'd have felt about it when I was a little kid. I didn't ride it until I was an adult and I was desensitised fairly early on to spooky things due to having a brother several years my senior.

I'm sorry to hear it ruins the ride for you during the time the overlay is up :(

It doesn't creep me out but I don't care for the ghost theme either.

My main objection to GG is that it doesn't have a strong Disney feel to me. To a lesser extent, I do find it rather creepy. Not a horrible ride but it feels like they could do much better. Now that I think of it, it feels like something Universal would do -- kind of second rate. But again, not a bad ride. Glad it doesn't last all year, though.

I will not ride it. Never have. I don't celebrate Halloween. And it's a bummer because space is one of my faves. And we often go late oct/early nov. :(

I wish we'd have been there for hyperspace mountain - but as for GG, it made it feel
Like a totally different ride from WDW's space mtn. My DS4 last year wasn't too bothered by the creepiness. But the ride was so new to us and only know it as GG

I do not understand why Disney does Ghosts of the Galaxy! IT is so frustrating. It is way to scary and creepy for kids and it ruins space mountain for 8 weeks. I was creeped out and I am an adult. It is so frustrating and feels very unhappy like!
I really don't think Disney care. It's a park for all ages, likes and dislikes
Your voice to ride or not

Jack

I totally agree. I would rather ride the Dog Turd Galaxy overlay (normal ride but smells like dog poop the entire time).

What is the general consensus on this ride for kids?

The last day of our trip is the first day of Halloween Time, so we will have the opportunity to ride Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy for the first time. I just watched a YouTube video of the Ghost Galaxy version of the ride, and it does look a little creepy. But it's hard to tell how "convincing" the effects are through a video.

How have your kids reacted?

The last day of our trip is the first day of Halloween Time, so we will have the opportunity to ride Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy for the first time. I just watched a YouTube video of the Ghost Galaxy version of the ride, and it does look a little creepy. But it's hard to tell how "convincing" the effects are through a video.

We normally travel to DLR during Halloween time, the kids have never ridden SM without the overlay there (they have at WDW). They have ridden it since they were 4 without issue

My kids enjoyed it, same as pp, my kids have only ridden it as GG in Disneyland.
They were 4, 8,10 and 12 no one had an issue with the effects. You're going so fast I don't feel like there's much time to dwell on the images.

My main objection to GG is that it doesn't have a strong Disney feel to me. To a lesser extent, I do find it rather creepy. Not a horrible ride but it feels like they could do much better. Now that I think of it, it feels like something Universal would do -- kind of second rate. But again, not a bad ride. Glad it doesn't last all year, though.

You're right, it doesn't feel Disney at all. Actually "feels" like they tried to copy the Mummy ride at Universal. But i am fine with it temporarily. I did really like Hyperspace Mountain though.

I think it's going to depend on the child. Some will probably like it, others will probably be a bit freaked out by it. My generally recommendation is to ride in the rear of the car because some of the projections are timed to the front of the car, so the rear seats have a harder time seeing the ghost/creature. You can't avoid seeing them entirely, but this might reduce some of the "closer" images of the ghost. The five year old I went with wasn't really scared of the ride; she was a bit unsettled by the projections on the outside of the building (lightning, cracklings, odd sounds), but the images inside the ride didn't really both her (she didn't really get the point, but that's probably better than being scared).

Ghost Galaxy is fine in my opinion, the projections are really kind of lame though. They aren't in 3-d so they're just 2-d orange blobs popping up here and there

For me, it's the really corny music that bothers me. It seems like it tries to be spooky but fails. It just can't compete with the normal track or the Star Wars track. But that's just me watching on YouTube. Maybe the visuals with the loud music will make a difference. But I'd rather them just keep the normal version going and not have it out of commission for days at a time.

For me, it's the really corny music that bothers me. It seems like it tries to be spooky but fails. It just can't compete with the normal track or the Star Wars track. But that's just me watching on YouTube. Maybe the visuals with the loud music will make a difference. But I'd rather them just keep the normal version going and not have it out of commission for days at a time.

Yeah the music is just as corny in person. I MUCH prefer when they did the RHCP music during Rockin Space Mountain, but that was only one year I believe. The California Screamin was really good that year too!

I hear you. I hate creepy stuff. Actually, without the holiday overlay, I find the HM way too creepy for me. As much as I liked ToT, I'm happy to say goodbye to the Twilight Zone stuff for the same I will ride it, but I have to concentrate on appreciating it as a work of (ride) art and thinking about the interesting facts I know about it. And I'm 35... I wouldn't take my kids on Ghost Galaxy until they're older, except maybe my oldest boy (almost 11), because I know it would be too scary for the others with their personalities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter