Gluten-free at Biergarten

Lou'sMommy

Wishing to be at Epcot!
We are making a trip to Disneyworld in May. It's my daughter-in-law's first visit. We have a family tradition of a meal at Biergarten. We have many happy memories there, love the food, and enjoy the show. My daughter-in-law is gluten-free and is worried about cross-contamination. No one else in the family has food allergies so we are new to this. Does anyone have experience getting gluten-free items at Biergarten? She would be more comfortable getting food fresh from the kitchen instead of choosing gluten-free items from the buffet itself. Thanks for any advise.

We are making a trip to Disneyworld in May. It's my daughter-in-law's first visit. We have a family tradition of a meal at Biergarten. We have many happy memories there, love the food, and enjoy the show. My daughter-in-law is gluten-free and is worried about cross-contamination. No one else in the family has food allergies so we are new to this. Does anyone have experience getting gluten-free items at Biergarten? She would be more comfortable getting food fresh from the kitchen instead of choosing gluten-free items from the buffet itself. Thanks for any advise.

They will give you the allergy guide, but you can explain and ask to speak to a chef. One of my cousins always does this and we've never had an issue. She's had some severe issues with her celiac disease before and is extra cautious. I'm more devil may care and just use the guide. I've personally never had a Disney run place refuse to make food in the back, I'd just explain that she has very serious concerns regarding cross contamination. Often they even ask me if I need to speak with a chef.

My wife has celiac and when we last went to Biergarten a couple of years ago, the chef showed her what she could eat on the buffet and did not bring her a plate of her own from the kitchen. In addition, she was not a big fan of what she could eat off the buffet and we marked this one off of our list for future trips to WDW. Simply not a good GF variety for the cost of the meal for my wife.

A lot of the restaurants at Epcot in the world showcase are not owned by disney and do not follow the same allergy protocol. I'm not sure if Biergarten is one of them. I have celiac and choose Coral Reef and Garden Grill when dining at Epcot, which are both owned and operated by Disney. Most of the Garden Grill items in the skillet are GF and need no modification.

DD and several extended family members have eaten several times at Biergarten with a gluten intolerance and really enjoyed it. We will be going back this summer again as a party of 13 and 4 of them have a gluten intolerace.

We have asked for food from the back in the past. We thought they had a good gf selection. Most of their cold salads and meats are already gf. About half of their hot items are gf. Their nudel gratin and pretzel rolls are not gf but they sometimes have gf rolls. There are only 1 or 2 desserts that are gluten free- there's a berry compote and sometimes they will offer a pre-packaged gf brownie.

My son has celiac disease. Eating food from a buffet where cross contamination is possible is not okay for him.

We didn't try Biergarten, but we did try Hollywood & Vine, which is also a buffet. They refused to accommodate his medical dietary needs by bringing him gluten free food from the kitchen, instead insisting that the gluten free food from the buffet would be okay. Maybe it would have been, but that's not a risk he can take. One person using the wrong spoon in the food could make him sick immediately and feel terribly for 2-3 days This was August 2023. It was extremely frustrating and an enormous waste of money. I'm still irritated.

My understanding is that in the past, people had greater success in obtaining food fresh from the kitchens at buffets but recently this has been more difficult.

I won't book anymore meals at buffets because of this. To me, it's not worth the headache.

At Epcot, we've had gluten free sit down meals at Garden Grill and Coral Reef. For Quick Service, he loves Regal Eagle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter