Going back to the hotel midday???

disland7

Mouseketeer
DVC Gold
We are doing a split stay at grand Floridian and Bay Lake tower. When we stay at Grand Californian we ALWAYS go back for a good home cooked lunch and a rest. I am trying to plan out meals and groceries and I'm wondering everyones opinion on going back to the hotel midday. How long would it take, etc?

Just my humble opinion, but yes, rest is always good. A home cooked lunch???? Never heard of that. Heard of home cooked breakfast and home cooked dinner.... never home cooked lunch.
I believe you you could do that close to the same cost, yet not deal with the cooking and cleaning, and pans.
Actually gives me the Hebee-Jeebes.

I was in a 1 BR at BLT this past summer. It's an easy 5-10 minute walk from the Magic Kingdom, and my home cooked lunches of grilled cheese and eggs were very tasty.
It would be a longer haul from Epcot, and a bit more of an adventure from the other two parks but I love a midday break so the travel time is worth it to me.

Yeah, it really depends on park. Distance is much more of an issue at WDW than at DLR.

MK resorts are near MK and nothing else.

I can't possibly do a full day in the theme parks. Well, maybe I can. Once. But I'd be a wreck for the rest of my vacation.

Instead, most of my park days are mornings/break/evenings, always mindful to get enough sleep each night. So, if I want to be out late (for a PM EMH, for example) I will plan to sleep in the next morning and just do an afternoon in the parks. Likewise, some days I might only do a morning, and have a relaxing evening in with maybe a simple dinner nearby.

It will take more time than it does at DLR going to/from VGC. To me, that's not the point. The point is pacing myself so that I can enjoy my entire vacation, not just the first few days of it.

Thanks all. I feel like it’s a good idea to take it slower and go back to the hotel but our Disney world veteran family is telling us we won’t want to go back because it takes too long. I guess we’ll have to try it and see.

For sure you can quickly hop back for lunch if your day is at the Magic Kingdom. All other parks I would plan for 45 minutes at least just to get back to your hotel. This includes walking from wherever you are in the park to the bus stop, waiting for the bus, riding the bus, then walking to your room. You're looking at 90 minutes just in transportation and you haven't even eaten anything yet. I would only recommend going back to the room if you are going to rest longer than just eating lunch. For example, eat, take a quick swim or nap, then go back out. If you are looking for a speedy lunch, heading back to the room is not a good idea.

For sure you can quickly hop back for lunch if your day is at the Magic Kingdom. All other parks I would plan for 45 minutes at least just to get back to your hotel. This includes walking from wherever you are in the park to the bus stop, waiting for the bus, riding the bus, then walking to your room. You're looking at 90 minutes just in transportation and you haven't even eaten anything yet. I would only recommend going back to the room if you are going to rest longer than just eating lunch. For example, eat, take a quick swim or nap, then go back out. If you are looking for a speedy lunch, heading back to the room is not a good idea.
That is a great clarification- yes it would be a more of lunch and nap (swim for the older kids) break.

It can be done but WDW is more spread out then DL as others have said. We usually stay @ BWV so we have two parks in close proximity so this isn't an issue. Going to AK or MK is more of challenge but can be done, plan on early morning access to start your day, back to room for lunch and down time then back out for dinner and evening fun. Enjoy your trip to WDW!

I always do a mid day break. Typically, we go at opening and then eat a quick service lunch around 11:30 to noon. Head back and relax for a few hours,

Being at the MK area, it will be easy to do. Sometimes, I take the boat vs monorail when going to VGF and always walk back to BLT.

This is what we've discovered. Its at least 45 minutes - more often an hour, to reach your hotel from the moment you decide to leave to to when you scan your MB against the door - unless you are staying at a resort close to the park you are at (and even then, it can take 30 minutes if you are standing near Spaceship Earth to get back to BWV - longer if you are with slow walkers - and that is the slowest boat in the world!) For us, it just has never been worth it to take three or four hours out of a day for a "break" - we prefer to call it an early evening and cut down on the amount of time we spend waiting for or on a bus.

When my now-adult children were nap age, we tried to go back to the room for a nap and discovered it was a disaster. The kids fell asleep on the bus and got a 20 minute nap - enough that they wouldn't fall back asleep - not enough to keep them going for the evening.

They were in middle school before they made it to fireworks.

The other thing to be aware of is park hours. We frequently travel when many of the parks close by 7. Taking four hours out of a day when AK opens at 9 and closes at 6 can really cut into your ability to see the things on your to do list. Its a whole different deal when the parks are open late and your kids can stay up until 9 or 10 if they get in a nap.

If you are willing to pay to use Uber or Lyft, it should be faster than a Disney bus to Epcot, Animal Kingdom and DHS.

It always depends where we stay whether we go back to the resort mid day or not. If our resort is close to the park, we do, if not, we spend more time at shows or people watching time

Are you a DVC member or renting points?
If you own, then tell your family you have decades of vacations in front of you and they don't need to do every attraction 3 times, there is always next time.
In the afternoon lines peak everywhere, why stand in line for 45-90 minutes in the Florida heat and humidity for a ride that will be a walk on next morning (or next trip) when you could be at the pool or in the air conditioning of your room?
Waking up early, mid day break and back to a park for night time entertainment is the best touring plan.

Are you a DVC member or renting points?
If you own, then tell your family you have decades of vacations in front of you and they don't need to do every attraction 3 times, there is always next time.
In the afternoon lines peak everywhere, why stand in line for 45-90 minutes in the Florida heat and humidity for a ride that will be a walk on next morning (or next trip) when you could be at the pool or in the air conditioning of your room?
Waking up early, mid day break and back to a park for night time entertainment is the best touring plan.
We are DVC. I am not positive I can get my husband to come back to the east coast when Disneyland is so close. But I totally agree with you and think I want that to be the mantra for the weeks.

Any uber/lyft options that fit 9 people?

Each app offers different types of rides. My understanding is:

Uber X fits 4 people
Uber XL fits 6 people

Lyft fits 4 people
Lift XL fits 6 people

So I believe you would need to order 2 vehicles to fit your group.

We are DVC. I am not positive I can get my husband to come back to the east coast when Disneyland is so close. But I totally agree with you and think I want that to be the mantra for the weeks.

I understand, if I had Disneyland close, I probably would stretch my points more with multiple visits at the VGC too.
However, I think WDW should lean to a different vacation style than DLR. As much as I love Disneyland, I would never book a 12 nights stay there. But it's exactly what I did at WDW this September. WDW is best enjoyed as a full vacation, taking your time to enjoy everything in the "world", especially your resort or resorts (I love split stays).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!