Golden Oaks

carlbarry

DIS Veteran
This is probably not the correct forum, but I couldn't find one for Golden Oaks.
Today I received a large can in the mail. Unfortunately with a dent.
In the can was another can. And inside that can, packed in foam, was a Bambi statue! Also unfortunately, the butterfly on the tail was broken off.
It was a gift from Golden Oaks!

Ha, no. I had inquired maybe a year ago or more. They send me material periodically, but never before a nice statue. I'm going to try to epoxy on the butterfly, and then I'll post pictures.
I was hoping someone else had received one, too, and would post a picture so I could see the angle the butterfly is supposed to be.

dang. Why did I look on eBay. I love Bambi ... I have a darling Steiff with the Butterfly on the tail as well as lithos signed by Frank and Ollie. These seem to need ceramic friends!!

Here's a picture, along with the insert, on the left, inviting me to come look. The lid on the left has a dent in the metal rim, which I guess being thrown against the wall by the Post Office is what caused the butterfly to break off despite two layers of padding.
And the picture was not taken upside down, so I don't know why it posted that way. I even turned my original picture upside down, and attached it that way, and it still came out upside down here.
t Golden Oaks.jpg

Looks like a sweet gift. Sorry to hear it arrived broken.
Yeah, very aggravating. Not as bad as when I opened the box for a $700 zoom lens and pieces of glass fell out. Epoxy worked on the butterfly, and once I put on a tiny dab of black acrylic paint, no one will be the wiser.
But obviously the can was dropped from a height, or hit with something, because the metal rim is dented. Open that can, and it is lined with foam, and the inner can is in there. Open that can, and there is foam shaped to the figurine enshrouding the figurine. So it must have really been hit hard.

I got one too. I think I asked for info when it opened in 2011--they're still sending me stuff. Guess the multi-million dollar housing market in Orlando isn't booming.

Hope it doesn't turn out like Celebration:

https://communityassociations.net/celebration-community-nightmare/
I went by Golden Oaks a few times during my early December WDW stay. They were building more houses.
That article you link is a bit sensationalistic. For example, they cite problems with contractors during the initial phase. That hardly makes the current Celebration a nightmare. In fact, I visit every time I stay at WDW, and it always looks very nice.

You can always go to the Golden Oak website and find out their number if you wanted to contact them. As soon as I win the lottery, I'm building my dream house there.

You can always go to the Golden Oak website and find out their number if you wanted to contact them. As soon as I win the lottery, I'm building my dream house there.
Funny thing is, with all the literature they have sent me, I don't remember ever seeing a disclosure of what the HOA fees or maintenance fees are.

Funny thing is, with all the literature they have sent me, I don't remember ever seeing a disclosure of what the HOA fees or maintenance fees are.

I saw one report that said that it was $25,000/year. More if you are in the Four Seasons residency. Which is where I want to be. I would love to live the resort life.

I saw one report that said that it was $25,000/year. More if you are in the Four Seasons residency. Which is where I want to be. I would love to live the resort life.
Nah, only $5,100 plus another $2,550 for landscape maintenance. And then club fee is around $21,000 annually "based on the neighborhood." I assume that's a mandatory membership. I'd love to be in the Four Seasons too, but $5 million is just a tad over my budget.
https://orlandobuyersbroker.com/buyers/disney-golden-oak-in-orlando/

That is what we were talking about, the club fees. And yes, they are mandatory.
I've been looking at other areas of Florida. Particularly in Boca Raton, there are many "golf club" developments, where the houses are incredibly cheap (and in fact some apartments are selling for $1!) due to people wanting to get out from under the mandatory club fees. Sort of like people dumping their timeshares to stop the maintenance fee payments. Only in this instance, they're selling beautiful, large houses for $350,000. But of course, that doesn't adjoin WDW.

I've been looking at other areas of Florida. Particularly in Boca Raton, there are many "golf club" developments, where the houses are incredibly cheap (and in fact some apartments are selling for $1!) due to people wanting to get out from under the mandatory club fees. Sort of like people dumping their timeshares to stop the maintenance fee payments. Only in this instance, they're selling beautiful, large houses for $350,000. But of course, that doesn't adjoin WDW.

It is hard to find new developments that do not have some kind of HOA. Golden Oak is definitely high, but I have browsed their book of activities(it is online that you can access from their website) and they do something for all of the holidays and also have special events. Like one year during the F&WF, they brought in Kurt Russell to talk about his wines. So residents got to meet him. Living in Golden Oak is a different life style and it's not everyone's cup of tea. Again, this is a lottery winning dream for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter