Got a question for any II trader veterans...

Dreamfinder2

DIS Veteran
If this has already been covered in another thread, forgive me, but here's some questions for y'all who are "in the know"...

(1) I know we shouldn't buy DVC because of it's trade value in II, but just in case ... are the trades "like for like," i.e., a studio for a studio, a 1BR for 1BR, etc. ?

(2) If we wanted to do a two-week vacation, but had insufficient points, can banked or borrowed points be used in trades?

(3) How does the 11/7 window play into trading?

Thanks!:)

We've only done one exchange. Our home resort is OKW.

We exchanged a 1 week studio at HH in November for a 1 week 2 bedroom in Key West in July. Don't ask me how they did it.

Posted by Dreamfinder2: (1) I know we shouldn't buy DVC because of it's trade value in II, but just in case ... are the trades "like for like," i.e., a studio for a studio, a 1BR for 1BR, etc. ?

Generally, yes. There are exceptions and maybe someone here can give examples. But if you ask for a 2-BR and it's available, you give up the points for a 2-BR week.

It doesn't, in any way that you need to be concerned about. DVC Member Services has to deal with your booking window when looking for a DVC reservation to give II. However, they do that for you so you don't need to figure it out. You may request a travel date up to 2 years ahead. The earlier, the better.

Originally posted by Dreamfinder2
If this has already been covered in another thread, forgive me, but here's some questions for y'all who are "in the know"...

(1) I know we shouldn't buy DVC because of it's trade value in II, but just in case ... are the trades "like for like," i.e., a studio for a studio, a 1BR for 1BR, etc. ?

(2) If we wanted to do a two-week vacation, but had insufficient points, can banked or borrowed points be used in trades?

The questions have been partly answered so far but here goes for additional help. First, it is usual that you must give up the same size unit as what you get. The two exceptions are for flexchange (less than 60 days) and for ongoing searches you are sometimes given a larger unit than you ask for. Other than flexchange you can never ASK for a larger unit than you give up. The difference here compared to usualy II members is this.

Take my 1 BR aruba weeks. If I want to search for a 2 BR unit, I might only list resorts that have 2 BR units. By searching for a 1 BR unit at a resort with ony 2 BR units, I've effectively searched for a 2 BR. Another example is to know what you're getting. At La Cabana in Aruba where I own, there are twice as many 1 BR units as studios. Not only that, the studios are the same size as the 1 BR and have a full kitchen. So if you search for a studio, your just as likely to get a 1 BR and if you don't you're still OK. If DVC will let you search for a sleep 4 studio, you'd be almost assured of getting a 1 BR unit. There are many examples of situations where a studio search will put you way ahead and just as many examples where a studio will end up being a no kitchen hotel room.

MS will look at banking and borrowing points if you need to, I wouldn't worry about that, they can bank/borrow if need be. Just make sure you don't miss the banking windows waiting on MS.

While technically the 7/11 mo windows could come into play, it rarely would. This is becaue OKW and HH (adventure) are the likely units given up, they are also the most likely to be available at the 7 mo window.

As you noted, DVC is not for routine trading. It can however be a very valuable tool for trading, used appropriately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter