Grand Californian Super Thread

I'm really wondering if they will cut down on services when they temporarily move the conceirge lounge. Has it ever happened before and we're services affected?
At WDW they usually move lounge to a suite temporarily. They try to keep things as much the same as possible.

Some lounges are amazing like Poly and I wouldn't want a substitute but others like BC/YC /BWI I wouldnt have minded.

If the location is still convenient, say still the 6th floor or maybe 5th then probably OK.

Looking at the current lounge pix I would still do a suite lounge temp location. I like the adventure of new things. However if you want the full deal then switch dates or hotels.

Services? Anymore they don't do much. You can book your own dining and get tickets so easily on the site or app. They should still have a CM desk/ WDW always keep that with temp lounges.

I'm really wondering if they will cut down on services when they temporarily move the conceirge lounge. Has it ever happened before and we're services affected?
A previous renovation (according to a lounge CM) moved the lounge to the Mt Whitney Suite (6012), but the temporary location has not been announced. Mt Whitney is on the 6th floor in the corner of the lobby, which might not be a good location with the ongoing renovation. A room in the convention center seems possible, but El Capitan would be great :idea:

Hi there. Any lobby or other construction updates?

I am curious too! Wondering if there is any activity in the lobby yet?

Here now. All I can say is this ... it's LOUD! Very loud. They're doing work right by check in and the poor CM's have to deal with that noise all day. Center of lobby is fine but outskirts are with scaffolding. They did a fire alarm test today too so that was adding more fun to the mix. :scared:

Pool area looks the same, but ground is cooler which is nice. :)

Got a refurb room. It's lovely! Beds are high, that was the only stand out unnoticed after seeing pics on here. Much brighter and lighter than old rooms.

Admendment to last post, ground is still hot at pool. LOL. I'm sure they did lots of changes but they're not noticeable to an average eye. ;)

We are staying at PPH on 7/6 & 7/7 then the GCH on the 7/8 & 7/9.

Will it be possible for us to leave our bags at PPH hotel at 6.15am, walk over to the GCH and check in. I know that our room most probably won't be ready, but the reason for checking in early is so that we can use the GCH entrance for a 7.00am opening at DCA.

How far is the walk from PPH to GCH. Should we just take our bags with us.

Last edited:
How far is the walk from PPH to GCH. Should we just take our bags with us.

Literally acorss the street as mentioned. Unless you are traveling heavy I would take the bags with you to the Grand. You are either gonna wait for the bell hop at the PPH or the bell hop at the GCH, so might as well get your bags on site. One can check bags at the CGH while someone else checks in the GCH to get your room keys.

We will wait and see how we are feeling and how much extra luggage we have after going to the outlet shops in Vegas, before we decide whether to move our own luggage ourselves.
Being able to get our keys so early in the morning and use GCH will be a bonus.

Just back from our trip and a few observations.

New rooms. No doubt I like them better. Much brighter, lots of outlets.
Two cons -- be careful of the new bed. Frame sticks out from mattress and all 3 of us got a nice bruise from the corner. Ouch! Second, love the shower but if you use the bar soap (I don't like shower gel) be careful, the glycerin soap sticks like glue to the bench. And it's tricky to get a towel from the rack because it's behind the door (we couldn't use door bar because swimsuit was drying on it.)

And my biggest irritation was security. For the love, get a bypass lane for those without bags. :mad: It's ridiculous. We're going through a metal detector with more guards in 5 feet, why do we have to wait at the bag search tables? Unnecessary and annoying.

Still a fun trip, but just a heads up on those few cons. :)

I'm a little confused about security at grand californian. When we arrive, is there security at the front? When using gc entrance to California adventure is there security there? When we go to Disneyland from gc is there security there. I read that the whole area will be secured and that's why people who don't have reservation can't get into gc. Sort of rambling. Sorry!

I'm a little confused about security at grand californian. When we arrive, is there security at the front? When using gc entrance to California adventure is there security there? When we go to Disneyland from gc is there security there. I read that the whole area will be secured and that's why people who don't have reservation can't get into gc. Sort of rambling. Sorry!

Only thing that has changed is that only GCH guests can enter through the front of the Hotel Lobby. There is someone that is on the corner that will turn away non GCH guest foot traffic, but no "security" per say to enter the Grand.

There is now a security checkpoint in the breezeway between the GCH and DTD...the security checkpoint that was between DTD and the Esplanade is gone and all of DTD is now inside the secure area.

As a GCH guest, the only change for you is that you will go through Mags and Bag Check before entering DTD vs exiting DTD headed to the parks. Much quicker now.

Anyone can still enter the GCH from DTD or DCA...juts need to be a GCH guest to come into the hotel from the front door.

Only thing that has changed is that only GCH guests can enter through the front of the Hotel Lobby. There is someone that is on the corner that will turn away non GCH guest foot traffic, but no "security" per say to enter the Grand.

There is now a security checkpoint in the breezeway between the GCH and DTD...the security checkpoint that was between DTD and the Esplanade is gone and all of DTD is now inside the secure area.

As a GCH guest, the only change for you is that you will go through Mags and Bag Check before entering DTD vs exiting DTD headed to the parks. Much quicker now.

Anyone can still enter the GCH from DTD or DCA...juts need to be a GCH guest to come into the hotel from the front door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter