Grand Californian Super Thread

As people posted you DO tip here. They took when offered by hand or we left on table.

Cm's were good about re-stocking and cleaning. Sometimes it was quiet other times busy busy!

We liked the outdoor patio the best.
I'm loving your food photos! So needed here!

Just want to mention that for those who wouldn't normally tip or aren't sure about whether they want to- we NEVER tip here and won't be starting to anytime soon. (However, I'm glad they can graciously accept the tips instead of having to do the awkward "no tips" "oh I insist!" thing.)

I'm loving your food photos! So needed here!

Just want to mention that for those who wouldn't normally tip or aren't sure about whether they want to- we NEVER tip here and won't be starting to anytime soon. (However, I'm glad they can graciously accept the tips instead of having to do the awkward "no tips" "oh I insist!" thing.)
I didn't at DLH but we left a few here and there. Dh is a tipper. I think because he works so hard and appreciates people being nice to him and his family. He even tipped on the plane lol.

I have some random resort pix probably post tomorrow. Glad you are enjoying them.

I didn't at DLH but we left a few here and there. Dh is a tipper. I think because he works so hard and appreciates people being nice to him and his family. He even tipped on the plane lol.

I have some random resort pix probably post tomorrow. Glad you are enjoying them.
In the heat wave from hell I'm living vicariously through anything that keeps my mind off it!

trishadono did you have scones and jam in the afternoon in the CL?
Yep! I tried lots of treats. Dd raved over some Carmel colored mousse one night and I also liked the lump shown on one of my plates . It was a small crust filled with a pudding? Topped with a strawberry and coated with chocolate and shavings. Had a few !

I was worried dh wouldn't like the hotel since he wanted DLH. But once there the hotel was so absolutely beautiful in person he kept saying it was great.

Oh one sandwich had a fig jam in it. All 4 of us loved it. Such a nice flavor!

Most of these are views walking from our hallway room 6218. Also the elevator and hall near cl lounge. The staircase says only for cl guests and only goes between floors 5 and 6.

Carpets were new and very pretty in person.

IMG_1531.JPG IMG_1542.JPG IMG_1543.JPG IMG_1544.JPG IMG_1572.JPG IMG_1573.JPG IMG_1574.JPG IMG_1575.JPG IMG_1576.JPG IMG_1577.JPG

Simple detail on the pillows make a difference.

IMG_1568.JPG
Nice having so many options! The ceiling lights (around room)and lights over bed all on dimmer switches. The center lever is for the ceiling and the bed lights had a knob on it.
IMG_1569.JPG
Just like WDW GF this hotel leaves the linens in a basket by your door. That way if you need something before you get serviced you can help yourself.

So Sunday when we were leaving I noticed these Tshirt washclothes on top of each basket. How cute?
IMG_1570.JPG IMG_1571.JPG

Last edited:

The staircase says only for cl guests and only goes between floors 5 and 6.
Restricting use of the stairs is new (unless I missed the sign over the past decade)
img_1577-jpg.246302

These tables are new. The patio above the entrance has never been used.
Perhaps outdoor seating for the temporary Club Lounge...
img_1574-jpg.246299

Simple detail on the pillows make a difference.

View attachment 246303
Nice having so many options! The ceiling lights (around room)and lights over bed all on dimmer switches. The center lever is for the ceiling and the bed lights had a knob on it.
View attachment 246304
Just like WDW GF this hotel leaves the linens in a basket by your door. That way if you need something before you get serviced you can help yourself.

So Sunday when we were leaving I noticed these Tshirt washclothes on top of each basket. How cute?
View attachment 246305 View attachment 246306
I really appreciate these pictures! I will be staying for the first time at the GC in Nov. Looking forward to seeing more!

--Lori

This was an impromptu stay! DD and bf had a long vaca planned after college graduation. I knew the ending was at DLR. Somehow I convinced dh we NEEDED to be there too.

Dh really wanted DLH but I booked PV cl at GCh instead. He raved over and over and he doesn't usually get so impressed. We only had Friday, Saturday and 2 hours Sunday morning before heading to the airport.

The new rooms really made for a better overall experience. The lobby wasn't any inconvenience because only small sections are getting done at a time. The pool was nice and we enjoyed a meal at Napa Rose too!

We loved that side entrance into DCA. Line got long but it moved really fast!

CL for breakfast and lunch at 11 worked because our jetlag really confused our tummies! Light meals worked great!

Food was always fresh and well stocked. Lots of good mornings and welcoming feeling. We felt comfortable there. The outside was really our favorite spot.

For checkout day they were firm on lounge access ending at 11am. However you can still use the pool. They said go to lobby for a key to access pool if needed.

We got free valet. I don't know if that is all guests or cl. I didnt know until I got the receipt on Sunday. The kids used it a lot so that saved me $$$.

Kids were supposed to arrive Sat am. Then dd calls and said bf will bring her to us Friday night instead. As a treat I booked them their own room std at GCH(they had marriott sat-tues). I requested a new room for them and they got a nice room on the 4th floor facing entrance from the end where dvc is.

They needed to add a day to hoppers. At cl desk they said either do in lounge or main lobby any time on last day. This was nice at wdw you have to do BEFORE use last day. Only $20 to add a day!

DH said I did a great job planning and he had a great time! Phew!

He insisted that the resort location was the only way to go and cl just made it so easy.

Any q's I will try to answer. Usually I get more pix but boy I walked 11 miles a day even with pool and nap time!

Restricting use of the stairs is new (unless I missed the sign over the past decade)

Thanks again for all of your help! It really made for a better trip.

Maybe the sign was added for the new lounge coming???

Those tables outside looked brand new and spotless. I never saw anyone out there either.

...For checkout day they were firm on lounge access ending at 11am...
Thanks for that information, I always forget to ask.
...We got free valet. I don't know if that is all guests or cl. I didnt know until I got the receipt on Sunday.
You were just lucky. Valet should be $30/night.
...Kids were supposed to arrive Sat am. Then dd calls and said bf will bring her to us Friday night instead. As a treat I booked them their own room std at GCH(they had marriott sat-tues).
If your CL room was not full (occupancy 5), you could add guests staying in other rooms to give them Lounge access.

img_1577-jpg.246302

img_1574-jpg.246299
No such you know the building so well, is there a space by that patio that could be used to house the temporary club?

I am re-posting this one. I took it mainly so people could see the great variations with the balconies. Didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle.

View attachment 246039
Planning to stay at GC: not wanting to go back through all the postings: but do all rooms have balconies? Or which rooms do have balconies? That would be a lovely feature to sit out there and have a drink etc.

Trishadono - I love all your pics and I'm so glad you had a nice stay! I remember you had a wonderful time at the DLH and I wasn't sure you'd like the smaller rooms, but IMHO the location (and lobby) at the GCH just can't be beat. :goodvibes:

Thanks for that information, I always forget to ask.

You were just lucky. Valet should be $30/night.

If your CL room was not full (occupancy 5), you could add guests staying in other rooms to give them Lounge access.
Yep that's what I did! They were on our room for access and booked cheapest room I could.

Thanks

Last edited:
Planning to stay at GC: not wanting to go back through all the postings: but do all rooms have balconies? Or which rooms do have balconies? That would be a lovely feature to sit out there and have a drink etc.
I believe others posted almost all have one. I didn't see any without.

I checked out the viewing area on the 6th floor one afternoon. You needed a room key for access. It was fun just to see the park from that angle. Also there were bathrooms there too.

I remembered nonsuch said to use the elevator towards dvc section for pool access. My dh tried to say I didn't know where I was going until , 'oh, there's the pool'!

My husband gets amazed how much I know each trip. Well it's because of Disboards!

Anybody heading out to WDW 'pm' me anytime! I'd love to return the favor for all the help I have gotten. From Pop Century, to Grand Floridian I have tried all but one!

I believe others posted almost all have one. I didn't see any without.
The photo you recently posted shows the 6 rooms without a balcony.
On the right of your photo, above the Monorail.
IMG_1789.JPG
Those might be used by housekeeping, rather than guest rooms -- I have not confirmed either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter