Grand Californian Super Thread

These are pictures of the temporary club level lounge. I should mention that they are offering reserved seating for one offering a day from world of color, fireworks, Frozen, Soundsational parade and maybe Disney Junior show. They are also sending characters every other day into Napa Rose at breakfast. So they may be trying to compensate but the construction in the area and lack of accessibility is a real issue.

View attachment 276282 View attachment 276283 View attachment 276285 View attachment 276286

The folding wooden wall wasn't up when we were there 10/7-10/12. I think they should have put the afternoon somewhere that was air conditioned and quiet.

Do you know whether or not the wing above Napa Rose is in the process of refurbishment? I'm hoping to stay in that area during my early Dec trip.

We were in room 6401. One elevator was finished. The other two were being worked on when they could get to them. The laundry room on level 2 was closed, as well as a wing of rooms/hallway. With the time allotted for construction crews to work, it will take some time for the renovation to be completed, in my humble opinion. (Hubby works construction).

AC? That's right! It's been hit in DLR... and looking at the weather I see it's going to be 104 Mon & Tues...

I feel for anyone who will be there during that heat. The trees and umbrellas only provide partial shade. There is so much hustle and bustle noise from people at the pool, walking around the hotel, etc, that if you are used to going to club to relax and unwind, it would be better to go to Whitewater Snacks. I hope they do finish the lounge soon or move the afternoon to a air conditioned room. Not fun sweating outside while trying to relax hoping your chair won't tip over in the grass.

I feel for anyone who will be there during that heat. The trees and umbrellas only provide partial shade. There is so much hustle and bustle noise from people at the pool, walking around the hotel, etc, that if you are used to going to club to relax and unwind, it would be better to go to Whitewater Snacks. I hope they do finish the lounge soon or move the afternoon to a air conditioned room. Not fun sweating outside while trying to relax hoping your chair won't tip over in the grass.

I think WWS looks like a good alternative. Personally I would switch to a regular room if I was there during this mess. We really do like to use the lounge to rest, relax, and recharge. I can sit outside by the pool without paying the very high upcharge for club level.

We are arriving next Thursday and I am hoping for a renovated standard room near the Napa Rose elevator with a bathtub. Is this a possibility or do all the renovated rooms now have showers?

We are arriving next Thursday and I am hoping for a renovated standard room near the Napa Rose elevator with a bathtub. Is this a possibility or do all the renovated rooms now have showers?
We are also arriving next week, for Dapper Day :goodvibes
There are few Standard rooms near Napa Rose, but many Woods/Courtyard rooms which a common upgrade.
Disney has announced all guests will get renovated rooms -- the last few "old" rooms are currently being renovated.
Some rooms do have bathtubs, but how many is unknown.
You might want to prioritize your requests when checking in :idea:
May all your request be granted (or at least some) :wizard:

We are also arriving next week, for Dapper Day :goodvibes
There are few Standard rooms near Napa Rose, but many Woods/Courtyard rooms which a common upgrade.
Disney has announced all guests will get renovated rooms -- the last few "old" rooms are currently being renovated.
Some rooms do have bathtubs, but how many is unknown.
You might want to prioritize your requests when checking in :idea:
May all your request be granted (or at least some) :wizard:

Yes, DD for us too...not long now!! I really appreciate knowing all available rooms are renovated. Thank you for the information and the good wishes!

Can anyone who's there now or will be there in the coming week please check in about the state of construction noise in the lobby and pool areas? And if the little kids rocking chairs and cartoon area has returned?
Many thanks!

We were in a renovated room in August that still had a bathtub. It was a standard view but we were not near the Napa Rose elevator.

I’m here right now! The craftsman club move is absolutely fine for our group. My stress level over it was a 10 before arriving. Lol. And I think it’s really nice. Of course, it’s 70 degrees out instead of 104. But we’re very happy with its placement. I just wanted to comment, because of how unhappy so many people had been. And I totally appreciate being disappointed. I feel lucky that I had a heads up and was mentally prepared for it.

Can anyone who's there now or will be there in the coming week please check in about the state of construction noise in the lobby and pool areas?
No significant noise in the lobby or pool. Many hallways overlooking the lobby are masked off with black drapes. On the ground floor there are drapes around one of the doors to Accorn Gifts.

...And if the little kids rocking chairs and cartoon area has returned?
The small rockers have not returned. Two different CMs said they will be back, once they are refinished. Woodwork in the lobby (and most areas of GCH) are much lighter than before.

We will be there in a little over a week, November 12 - 18, is there any chance they will have the Christmas decorations up during our stay or because of the construction will we miss the decorations?

So upon checkout, the CM refused to take my Disney Gift Card as payment since I didn't have the physical gift card with me. I had consolidated the cards at home and left them there in case my purse was lost or stolen. I've had no problems paying with a digital gift card anywhere else on property, including the restaurants at the Grand Californian.

We just returned from GCH and want to share some information Club Level:
  • Craftsman Club Lounge is still under renovation and expected to be completed on December 8.
    (slipped from original target date of November 18)
  • Breakfast in Napa Rose lounge is from 6:30AM to 11AM. Food selection is similar to original lounge. Expanded seating and general ambiance is very nice.
  • Food is served near the outdoor fireplace from noon to 10PM. Lunch selection is similar to original lounge, but I did not try later offerings. Outdoor seating is OK during the day, when the weather is nice.
  • Preferred viewing is offered as an accommodation for the lounge construction:
    (one reservation per day)
    • Fireworks, standing in the "south spoke" of the hub
    • WOC, standing behind (and one level up) Dessert Party area
    • Frozen
    • Disney Jr
    • Soundsational

• Craftsman Club Lounge is still under renovation and expected to be completed on December 8.
  • Breakfast in Napa Rose lounge is from 6:30AM to 11AM. Food selection is similar to original lounge. Expanded seating and general ambiance is very nice.
  • Food is served near the outdoor fireplace from noon to 10PM. Lunch selection is similar to original lounge, but I did not try later offerings. Outdoor seating is OK during the day, when the weather is nice.
    • Frozen
    • Disney Jr
    • Soundsational

Yikes that is getting too close to comfort for me! I get there on the 15th and I booked CL specifically because I wanted a place for my family to "hang out" besides the room. I heard it was always decorated really lovely for Christmas, and I loved the convenience of it being close to the room. This doesn't sound like it would fit for us for what we were hoping to get out of it. And while the preferred seating is pretty cool, I had already planned on the WOC Dessert Party and we're doing the tour with preferred seating for Fantasmic and fireworks. I really don't want to spend that extra money if CL will continue to stay this way. I guess maybe I should call today...

• Frozen
    • Disney Jr
    • Soundsational

Well, this is disappointing! We are booked in CL, through on Dec 8.

Does anyone know if there still a coffee/espresso machine available in the morning with the Napa Rose setup? This could be the deciding factor for us...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter