Grand Californian Super Thread

Can I ask a question about the Early Morning tickets entry? I heard that it switched between parks depending on the day but when I looked at the Christmas week schedule EMM was listed every morning for DCA. Is that correct?
It usually switches between the parks, but during very busy times such as Christmas they sometimes have EMH at both parks every day instead of alternating.

Aloha,
Long time DLH regular, first time GCH visitor. Party of four...me, wife and a pair of high school teenagers. Would greatly appreciate advice on requested room location for a premium view room at GCH. Which is better, the DTD view or the TP (DCA) view? Which rooms should I request for easy access to either DTD or DCA? Want to avoid any marathon walks within GCH or to/ from DL and DCA. Which rooms to best avoid any construction noise from the new hotel? Thank-you in advance for your wisdom and experience. Mahalo.

I just returned Sat night the 4th of Nov, after a three night stay. It was my first time staying at the GC. We were celebrating big Birthday's. My brother turning 60, and my sister was also having a BIrthday.

We checked in at 9am, waited in a long line, probably 10 ahead of us on a Weds morning. We got a CM named Iris, to help us.
This was not a Magical experience. We booked a Dapper rate, we were not eligible for any upgrades. I Had however made some simple requests. The CM on the phone for Group rates asked if I had any requests after all......... and yes I understood they were just requests.

My number one request was for adjoining rooms was granted,my second request for a balcony however was not. Iris - the CM told us that all rooms had balcony's..... wrong, I knew this was mis-information when she said it. Well,my brother had a balcony, and I did not. We were in a standard view room directly over the monorail, facing the parking lot/front of the hotel, on the 6th floor. I also had told the CM on the phone about the Birthdays, I was asked if we were "Celebrating" and we were... Iris however never mentioned the Birthdays... I had to as we were walking away. She then produced two Birthday pins....

She had mentioned that she just wanted to "keep the line moving"... very Un-Magical!

We also had a old bathroom, with a tub... this room may have been "refreshed"but not fully updated.
Since this was supposed to be a Magical stay for my sister and myself... I trotted right back to the line in the lobby. ( I should say the room was ready by 1pm) They sent us a text when it was ready.

The second CM we were given was very nice. She pulled up balcony rooms, we used the Napa Rose elevators. We had a nice view facing the pool and a sliver of California Adventure. I will post a pic.
The room number was 5304, the rooms are lovely, and the new showers are Amazing!! We really enjoyed our stay, even if it did start a little rocky!

Please do not be afraid to speak up, if you are unhappy. Yes we did have a discounted rate, but it's still a substantial amount to stay at this property.

I hope my review helps other's. If you have any questions please ask. I would love to help.

11842a0a-6c35-4e99-a697-19e993af1553.jpg

View from 5304 balcony room:

1b9dbd30-66ac-4c3d-8126-1395b4d97f58.jpg

I really loved the way they incorporated orange County into the rooms, with pictures of citrus, and of course the Orange tree's with Chip and Dale...

03473366-6870-4535-ab0a-939ce68d82bf.jpg

IMG_9033.jpg

They were working on the Gingerbread House while were were there, it smelled Heavenly! Such talent!!

IMG_E9127.jpg
I just returned Sat night the 4th of Nov, after a three night stay. It was my first time staying at the GC. We were celebrating big Birthday's. My brother turning 60, and my sister was also having a BIrthday.

We checked in at 9am, waited in a long line, probably 10 ahead of us on a Weds morning. We got a CM named Iris, to help us.
This was not a Magical experience. We booked a Dapper rate, we were not eligible for any upgrades. I Had however made some simple requests. The CM on the phone for Group rates asked if I had any requests after all......... and yes I understood they were just requests.

My number one request was for adjoining rooms was granted,my second request for a balcony however was not. Iris - the CM told us that all rooms had balcony's..... wrong, I knew this was mis-information when she said it. Well,my brother had a balcony, and I did not. We were in a standard view room directly over the monorail, facing the parking lot/front of the hotel, on the 6th floor. I also had told the CM on the phone about the Birthdays, I was asked if we were "Celebrating" and we were... Iris however never mentioned the Birthdays... I had to as we were walking away. She then produced two Birthday pins....

She had mentioned that she just wanted to "keep the line moving"... very Un-Magical!

We also had a old bathroom, with a tub... this room may have been "refreshed"but not fully updated.
Since this was supposed to be a Magical stay for my sister and myself... I trotted right back to the line in the lobby. ( I should say the room was ready by 1pm) They sent us a text when it was ready.

The second CM we were given was very nice. She pulled up balcony rooms, we used the Napa Rose elevators. We had a nice view facing the pool and a sliver of California Adventure. I will post a pic.
The room number was 5304, the rooms are lovely, and the new showers are Amazing!! We really enjoyed our stay, even if it did start a little rocky!

Please do not be afraid to speak up, if you are unhappy. Yes we did have a discounted rate, but it's still a substantial amount to stay at this property.

I hope my review helps other's. If you have any questions please ask. I would love to help.

11842a0a-6c35-4e99-a697-19e993af1553.jpg

View from 5304 balcony room:

1b9dbd30-66ac-4c3d-8126-1395b4d97f58.jpg

I really loved the way they incorporated orange County into the rooms, with pictures of citrus, and of course the Orange tree's with Chip and Dale...

03473366-6870-4535-ab0a-939ce68d82bf.jpg

IMG_9033.jpg

They were working on the Gingerbread House while were were there, it smelled Heavenly! Such talent!!

IMG_E9127.jpg

Has anyone been to new club lounge yet?
We checked in on 12/17 and are checking out today. We have spent a lot of time in the lounge. It is beautiful, the food service seems better than when we were here two years ago, and cast members have been wonderful. There has been plenty of seating options. Santa and Pluto visited the lounge on Sunday night. Previously I did not think club level was worth the extra money but this stay has changed my mind.

Last edited:

We checked in on 12/17 and are checking out today. We have spent a lot of time in the lounge. It is beautiful, the food service seems better than when we were here two years ago, and cast members have been wonderful. There has been plenty of seating options. Santa and Pluto visited the lounge on Sunday night. Previously I did not think club level was worth the extra money but this stay has changed my mind.

I hope you will post pictures and tell us what changed your mind about club level.

We check in tomorrow and I cannot wait to see the new room in person :goodvibes. We are in a Woods View and I am really hoping to have the courtyard where we can watch the monorail go by, I did put a request in, but of course a request is just a request. I am also very excited to see GCH dressed up for the holidays :santa:.

...We are in a Woods View and I am really hoping to have the courtyard where we can watch the monorail go by, I did put a request in, but of course a request is just a request...
You have a very good chance of having a view of the monorail :wizard:
The majority of the Woods/Courtyard category look into the courtyard and have a view of the monorail.

Any updated pictures of the Concierge lounge? A list of foods they put out and times?
I have pics and will upload in a day or two. There are no food lists, items now change at all meal times. I remember they open 6:30am breakfast until 10:30am, appetizers start at 4:30(?) now so that was nice. Lounge closes at 10pm. We left right before Xmas crowds started and I overheard the staff tell another party they would be opening at 6am for 7am early entry. About darn time!!! Hope they keep that up for 7am EMH days. It really was a wonderful experience. Lounge stays open between food service breaks and all beverages, including alcohol, are served during all hours the lounge is open.

I'll do a more through review from my trip in the next day or two :)

You have a very good chance of having a view of the monorail :wizard:
The majority of the Woods/Courtyard category look into the courtyard and have a view of the monorail.
@Nonsuch I'm not on here often but wondering if any of the Grand's rooms have bunk beds anymore? OR What would be the most spacious option ie. what specific rooms to request for two connecting rooms for a family of 8--2 adults & 6 kids(ages 4-16)? Also they would need to be standard rooms...should we do two queens plus daybed or are bunk bed rooms still an option? Any advice would be appreciated as we have never stayed here before! TIA :)

@Nonsuch I'm not on here often but wondering if any of the Grand's rooms have bunk beds anymore? OR What would be the most spacious option ie. what specific rooms to request for two connecting rooms for a family of 8--2 adults & 6 kids(ages 4-16)? Also they would need to be standard rooms...should we do two queens plus daybed or are bunk bed rooms still an option? Any advice would be appreciated as we have never stayed here before! TIA :)

Yup, no more bunk beds anymore post remodel. Personally I would do to connecting queen rooms with day beds of you can. That would be 4 queen and two twin size beds total

I have pics and will upload in a day or two. There are no food lists, items now change at all meal times. I remember they open 6:30am breakfast until 10:30am, appetizers start at 4:30(?) now so that was nice. Lounge closes at 10pm. We left right before Xmas crowds started and I overheard the staff tell another party they would be opening at 6am for 7am early entry. About darn time!!! Hope they keep that up for 7am EMH days. It really was a wonderful experience. Lounge stays open between food service breaks and all beverages, including alcohol, are served during all hours the lounge is open.

I'll do a more through review from my trip in the next day or two :)

Woohoo! I sure hope they keep the 6am time too.

I have some pics of remodeled king room with daybed (daybed shown as couch and made up by housekeeping (we requested duvet and pillows). Photos do not do justice to the room, which was very nice.

There was a chair that folded out to a small twin.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 86
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

More photos (again the room didn't photograph as nice as it truly is).

Disappointed they went to all showers as a soak is welcome after a long day. There are a outlets everywhere (both standard and usb) and the refrigerators are now beverage cooler style and work very well (the old ones were generally awful).

Last edited:
Disappointed they went to all showers as a soak is welcome after a long day.
Some rooms have a tub, but it's unknown how many.
...the refrigerators are now beverage cooler style and work very well (the old ones were generally awful).
That appears to be a better refrigerator that other remodeled rooms, and other rooms do not have a sink.
image.jpeg

This is the refrigerator in my room in November and seems to be the "standard" configuration:
gch_fridge.jpg

I was told in the "Art of the Craft" tour, that 3 model rooms were built -- essentially: Good, Better, Best.
Speculation on my part: you might have been in a model of the Best configuration.

If you have them, please share photos of the closet and sink areas.
What was your room number?

Pics of The Veranda! Review to follow! I got pics on arrival day at breakfast and the following day at breakfast I took pics of what changed. I then got too lost in the mimosa bar- uh, I mean magic of Disneyland- to remember to take pics of the other food offerings. The Disney Parks Blog video shows the layout very accurately here are my pics (which I failed to get pics of the food signs apparently- sorry guys!).

Beverages first!

IMG_3509.JPG
This is out all day. OJ & Cranberry juice available for mimosas/hibiscus (apparently that's what cranberry + sparkling wine is called, I didn't know!), or have your bubbly plain! It's not Moët level here so keep those expectations appropriate, or even Mumm to be honest (I'm a CA girl in case you can't tell!), but I found it nice.

IMG_3510.JPG
The new espresso machine is SWEET!!! Totally awesome. 500% improvement here people!IMG_3511.JPG
Water is filtered in this thingy (that's a technical term in case anyone is wondering) and piped in so staff doesn't have to refill it.IMG_3516.JPG
Juice, milk & fruit bar

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!