Grand Californian Super Thread

Well, we are having a "not so great" visit. We arrived Thursday night and are staying club level. Our visit to the parks are great. However, we must be having awful luck in the hotel rooms (we have 2.) First, I woke up with breathing issues (not hotel issue) and had forgotten my inhaler in the car. So at 705a, I went down to valet and asked to have someone get it. The valet area wasn't busy, in fact 3 valet people were standing around chatting. It took 20 mins to get the inhaler. Not a big deal except I had hoped to grab something from the concierge lounge prior to a meeting at 740a, so had to skip that. I seriously did not expect it to take that long. I often forget things in the car at DLH, and it is rarely longer than 5-7 mins. And I don't see them standing on the drive with my key for that length of time.

Then, we got back from our day for a rest at 3pm. Our room had yet to be cleaned. I figure they are running behind. I called VIP services because our room did not have bottled water (club level gets bottled water) and asked about housekeeping. He stated he would have them deliver water and ask to have them do our rooms next. Not a biggie. We were there til 440, when we left to meet friends in the park for dinner. I initially went upstairs to the Verandah to check it out and get pictures, however, it was not yet set up. They had several items out, but did not have serving tools out. This meant instead of waiting on them to bring out serviceware, people were using their fingers to grab cheeses, crackers, appetizers, etc... One server told me "We put them out when we get everything set up"... But having several hands moving the food around to get what they wanted did not make it appetizing for me. Luckily, I hadn't planned on eating, I just wanted to check it out.

We arrive back in the room after dinner about 845p. Water had been delivered, but rooms still not done. Turn down service was in my son's room, and he had her do bedding and towels. She then came to my room and was surprised it also had not been cleaned. So she made the beds quickly, changed towels, emptied trash, and repeatedly apologized. I called VIP services, and the same gentleman answered and was a little dismayed as he had specifically been told it had been handled.

Will let you know how day 2 goes.
Oh my!! It seems like all the repeated issues I've encountered over the years there you got in spades in one day! Valet takes FOREVER. Housekeeping is hit or miss. Sometimes your room is done by 2pm or 3pm when you're back from the parks for a break, sometimes it isn't. But, on checkout morning it's amazing how fast they get to your room!

That Veranda incident is disgusting. I would absolutely say something to the manager about that if you get the chance. At the holidays we saw him a couple times during appetizers asking guests how their stay was going. (And for goodness sake's- there is literally silverware right there under the counter! ...in retrospect if you're too rude to wait for the serving spoon you're too rude to use silverware. Or you're an unattended child.) I didn't witness that behavior but they started serving at 4:30pm then and large amounts of people weren't quite around yet so I think that in itself helped keep the hovering vultures at bay.

I really hope this trip gets better for you ASAP!

Today was better, housekeeping was done before 3. We spent the day doing the food kiosks, and headed up for desserts in the Veranda. We got there at 7, and got the tail end of dinner. They didn't have the carving station on weekends, so still haven't seen it. We hung out on the patio, and waited for dessert at 8. They came and again say all the desserts out, without serve ware again. Their intent is to get it all set out, take their time, and have all wait. That said it was almost 10 after 8 before they had it situated and brought out service ware. Yes, people were taking prior to completion, and I didn't blame them.

OK, I am glad this happened to me and not someone else. So, last night when we went for desserts, I didn't realize there was an issue when we entered the lounge. There were 8 of us (2 rooms, 4 each room). One of kids (she is 12) didn't have her key. The woman manning the door (there was someone there each evening and you presented your room key and she would use it to open the door for you...) had asked to see her key, and she blanked and said she didn't have it. The woman at the door chewed her out, said she'd let her in THIS time since she was with us, and told her she needed to carry it ALL the time. If I had known this was happening, I would have told the CM "Hang on a sec while I have concierge print her another key." There was no reason to chew out a 12yo. Chew me out for not double checking *I* had her key.

Then today, we were leaving and I went to the bell desk to retrieve the packages I purchased and sent back to the hotel. Guess what? They're lost. They are going to find it and ship them to me. And when I finally joined my family at the valet drive and they had already loaded everything in the car and were waiting on me, I asked a valet if he could return the scooter to the bell desk. No, couldn't do that (lost that tip!) and I went ahead and did it. But I am just so used to the DLH valets just handling it for me, it was weird for me.

So I read a review on TripAdvisor about how tall the new beds are in the remodeled GCH rooms, and I thought, "Oh, it can't be that bad."

It kinda is.

unnamed-17.jpg

I could hardly be called short at 5'9", but I have trouble getting into this bed. Especially because I have pain in my legs and feet. I have to sort of stand on my toes and scoot my butt onto it. No falling into bed at the end of a long park day.

I found myself wishing for a stool.

No idea how kids and smaller folks manage. However, I read a lot about the mattresses being "soft" but mine is nice and firm,

I could hardly be called short at 5'9", but I have trouble getting into this bed. Especially because I have pain in my legs and feet. I have to sort of stand on my toes and scoot my butt onto it. No falling into bed at the end of a long park day.

Lo and behold, as soon as I said I wished I had a stool, I found one under the sink! Magic!

unnamed-18.jpg

Still, if you have to provide stools so your 5'9" guests can access their beds, they might be too tall.

OK, I am glad this happened to me and not someone else. So, last night when we went for desserts, I didn't realize there was an issue when we entered the lounge. There were 8 of us (2 rooms, 4 each room). One of kids (she is 12) didn't have her key. The woman manning the door (there was someone there each evening and you presented your room key and she would use it to open the door for you...) had asked to see her key, and she blanked and said she didn't have it. The woman at the door chewed her out, said she'd let her in THIS time since she was with us, and told her she needed to carry it ALL the time. If I had known this was happening, I would have told the CM "Hang on a sec while I have concierge print her another key." There was no reason to chew out a 12yo. Chew me out for not double checking *I* had her key.

Then today, we were leaving and I went to the bell desk to retrieve the packages I purchased and sent back to the hotel. Guess what? They're lost. They are going to find it and ship them to me. And when I finally joined my family at the valet drive and they had already loaded everything in the car and were waiting on me, I asked a valet if he could return the scooter to the bell desk. No, couldn't do that (lost that tip!) and I went ahead and did it. But I am just so used to the DLH valets just handling it for me, it was weird for me.

Dang! You just seemed to have 'bad trip gremlins' following you around on this trip!

You know, I never send purchases over to the bell desk on our last full day for just that reason, that they might not be there the next morning when we leave. I always thought maybe I was being a bit paranoid, but I guess not! It's disappointing, but as long as they don't charge you for shipping when the items are found or replace them if they're not I guess I'd grin and bear it.

The scooter thing was really rude! How much trouble could it have been to take 3 minutes to run it in for you!

Do you think that mousekeeping and bell/valet services may be 'under new management' and thus disorganized or that they've been given stricter 'rules' and/or are being watched closely?

Here's hoping on that your next trip things are back up to acceptable standards. I know you're a frequent guest at the Grand, so I'd be 'writing a sternly worded letter of complaint' as the saying goes.

So I read a review on TripAdvisor about how tall the new beds are in the remodeled GCH rooms, and I thought, "Oh, it can't be that bad."

It kinda is.

View attachment 306864

No idea how kids and smaller folks manage. However, I read a lot about the mattresses being "soft" but mine is nice and firm,

To be honest, I didn't notice that the beds were extra high, and I'm 4'10"! But then again, most beds are high for me, so maybe I'm so used to having to climb up onto things that I didn't notice it was any higher than usual. :rotfl:

It kinda is.

View attachment 306864

Us smaller folks manage by taking a running leap and vaulting from the step to the bed! lol

Actually, we had a good laugh when one of us did the 'scoot the butt' thing, lost footing and slid to the floor in mid-scoot.

Dang! You just seemed to have 'bad trip gremlins' following you around on this trip!

You know, I never send purchases over to the bell desk on our last full day for just that reason, that they might not be there the next morning when we leave. I always thought maybe I was being a bit paranoid, but I guess not! It's disappointing, but as long as they don't charge you for shipping when the items are found or replace them if they're not I guess I'd grin and bear it.

The scooter thing was really rude! How much trouble could it have been to take 3 minutes to run it in for you!

Do you think that mousekeeping and bell/valet services may be 'under new management' and thus disorganized or that they've been given stricter 'rules' and/or are being watched closely?

Here's hoping on that your next trip things are back up to acceptable standards. I know you're a frequent guest at the Grand, so I'd be 'writing a sternly worded letter of complaint' as the saying goes.
I honestly don't know. It was very strange. I got to the point where I was just laughing about it. In fact, I hadn't posted this yet, but I noticed this glass. I cannot say for sure it was there Thurs night when we arrived, but it was there Friday morning when I exited. When it was STILL there Sunday morning, I laughed and snapped a pic for you guys. I kept wondering all weekend if it was just that no one saw it, or no one wanted to grab it.

28661404_10215813705439145_5488691108724963984_n.jpg

Us smaller folks manage by taking a running leap and vaulting from the step to the bed! lol

Actually, we had a good laugh when one of us did the 'scoot the butt' thing, lost footing and slid to the floor in mid-scoot.
I am all of 5'3". My daughter gets a good laugh at me getting on the beds, as I basically just do a combat type crawl to get on.

It kinda is.

View attachment 306864

Since I am 5'3 and fluffy, I jump, and with a healthy dose of pixie dust, I make it onto the bed and not on the floor. Lord help me if I have to tinkle in the middle of the night.:P

I honestly don't know. It was very strange. I got to the point where I was just laughing about it. In fact, I hadn't posted this yet, but I noticed this glass. I cannot say for sure it was there Thurs night when we arrived, but it was there Friday morning when I exited. When it was STILL there Sunday morning, I laughed and snapped a pic for you guys. I kept wondering all weekend if it was just that no one saw it, or no one wanted to grab it.

I am all of 5'3". My daughter gets a good laugh at me getting on the beds, as I basically just do a combat type crawl to get on.
I couldn't believe it when they lost your merchandise. What a jaw drop moment.

I relayed your experience to my fam and it actually triggered a lengthy dissection of our GCH CL stay from right before Xmas. We hadn't really talked about what we each felt were the "bad" aspects and we found it very enlightening as we had passed the "omg I loved the trip" phase and got to the "well, actually" phase. I found out my Mom was as mad at the concierge team as I was, she had apparently approached them about something and she felt they were very rude to her as she'd broken up their convo. So much so she never talked to them again that trip. She didn't care for the afternoon snacks, was upset about the scones being bad and lack of chocolate covered strawberries. She didn't care for the evening appetizers for the most part. I was like "actually... me too." It was a sad but enlightening family convo from a fam that has loved GCH CL for many years. Our trip next week we've booked std room GCH, not CL so we'll see how our DIY CL comes out. I kinda think the next trip could be DLH CL actually.

Last edited:
...In fact, I hadn't posted this yet, but I noticed this glass. I cannot say for sure it was there Thurs night when we arrived, but it was there Friday morning when I exited. When it was STILL there Sunday morning, I laughed and snapped a pic for you guys. I kept wondering all weekend if it was just that no one saw it, or no one wanted to grab it.
It's nice to see I'm not the only one that takes pictures of random stuff :goodvibes

I hate this newly installed carpet with the corner cut off.
vgc_rug.jpg

We’ve only stayed at The Grand once and it was the worst hotel stay we’ve ever had and at that time the most money we’d ever spent on a hotel. It was a few years ago, 2014 or 2015. Stayed in a woods view room. Our first night we had to evacuate in the middle of the night for a fire alarm. Spent 20-30 minutes in Downtown Disney with our 2 little girls freezing because we were all in pajamas. One of the pools was being refurbished so every time we walked to our room (above Napa Rose) we could here the jack hammering. This in itself wouldn’t have been a big deal as maintenance and improvements are necessary but it just added on to everything else that went wrong. The one day we decided to use the pool and took a mid-day Break we get down to the pool in our swimwear and find out the pool is closed because someone pooped in it (the one with the slide). The other large pool is closed for refurbishment. Ok... again, not the hotels fault but boy are we having bad luck. On our checkout day, they started doing some kind of construction in the hotel room next to us. It was insanely loud. I think it went on for 2 hours. When I called down to valet to get my car they couldn’t hear me over the construction noise...that’s how loud it was. When the bellman came up to get our bags he was in shock that our room was so loud. He asked me how long that had been going on and when I told him he said, “Unbelievable “. He was truly shocked. Now add this on to the fact that many rides were closed for refurbishment and THEN the Santa Ana winds kicked up closing down even more. Disneyland was also having electrical problems and most rides we tried to get on were closed at park opening one day. I’m talking like 8 out of 10 rides that we were walking to different lands to get too. It was insane. Worst trip we’ve ever had and the most $$$ we had ever spent on a trip to DL. I finally did complain about how many rides were down and the fact that we couldn’t get on any rides one of our mornings and the front desk did give us a few fast passes for that. I wish I would’ve thought to complain about our actual hotel experience and been given some $ back but oh well. I definitely will if it happens again. Speaking of again....after many stays at PPH and a few at DLH we are actually thinking of giving GCH another try. The main thing I wish is that with the prices they charge at the onsite hotels they deliver with the service you’d expect at a 5 star hotel (or something even remotely in the ballpark). We’ve honestly had much better service at PPH for half the cost.

We’ve only stayed at The Grand once and it was the worst hotel stay we’ve ever had and at that time the most money we’d ever spent on a hotel. It was a few years ago, 2014 or 2015. Stayed in a woods view room. Our first night we had to evacuate in the middle of the night for a fire alarm. Spent 20-30 minutes in Downtown Disney with our 2 little girls freezing because we were all in pajamas. One of the pools was being refurbished so every time we walked to our room (above Napa Rose) we could here the jack hammering. This in itself wouldn’t have been a big deal as maintenance and improvements are necessary but it just added on to everything else that went wrong. The one day we decided to use the pool and took a mid-day Break we get down to the pool in our swimwear and find out the pool is closed because someone pooped in it (the one with the slide). The other large pool is closed for refurbishment. Ok... again, not the hotels fault but boy are we having bad luck. On our checkout day, they started doing some kind of construction in the hotel room next to us. It was insanely loud. I think it went on for 2 hours. When I called down to valet to get my car they couldn’t hear me over the construction noise...that’s how loud it was. When the bellman came up to get our bags he was in shock that our room was so loud. He asked me how long that had been going on and when I told him he said, “Unbelievable “. He was truly shocked. Now add this on to the fact that many rides were closed for refurbishment and THEN the Santa Ana winds kicked up closing down even more. Disneyland was also having electrical problems and most rides we tried to get on were closed at park opening one day. I’m talking like 8 out of 10 rides that we were walking to different lands to get too. It was insane. Worst trip we’ve ever had and the most $$$ we had ever spent on a trip to DL. I finally did complain about how many rides were down and the fact that we couldn’t get on any rides one of our mornings and the front desk did give us a few fast passes for that. I wish I would’ve thought to complain about our actual hotel experience and been given some $ back but oh well. I definitely will if it happens again. Speaking of again....after many stays at PPH and a few at DLH we are actually thinking of giving GCH another try. The main thing I wish is that with the prices they charge at the onsite hotels they deliver with the service you’d expect at a 5 star hotel (or something even remotely in the ballpark). We’ve honestly had much better service at PPH for half the cost.
Well... the service at GCH won't be any better than your last trip. We pay what we do for the location, we know the level of service doesn't (and never has) come close being what one might expect for the prices charged. That said the rooms are now MUCH nicer imho with the rain shower & storage space under the beds and outlets everywhere so that should factor into consideration as well now.

Well... the service at GCH won't be any better than your last trip. We pay what we do for the location, we know the level of service doesn't (and never has) come close being what one might expect for the prices charged. That said the rooms are now MUCH nicer imho with the rain shower & storage space under the beds and outlets everywhere so that should factor into consideration as well now.
Well, thanks for helping keep my expectations low, lol. I think that is part of the problem. The price is so high that you expect more than you get. DLH is actually our favorite out of the three hotels but we love the pool at GCH. Last time we stayed at PPH we rented a cabana at GCH just to use their pool. The DLH’s pool is obviously great too but I like the relaxing vibe at GCH’s pool. Planning on GCH because we don’t normally go during the high season and we know July will be very hot. Less walking and our favorite pool wins out this time.

Can anyone comment on the poolside cabanas? Half vs full day? Level of privacy? Can you choose a specific cabana? Any comments or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

We're staying a week in late June.

Can anyone comment on the poolside cabanas? Half vs full day? Level of privacy? Can you choose a specific cabana? Any comments or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
A few thing I recall, but will post more when I at home (currently roughing it at Shanghai Toy Story Hotel, which does not have a pool :headache:).
  • There are now 6 cabanas, increased from 4 prior to the renovation.
  • 3 cabanas are spread out in the space of the original 4, increasing privacy.
  • 3 new cabanas are on the west side of the pool nearest Storytellers (fountain pool?)
  • In the off-season (when I checked in January) only 6 hour full day was available for $250.
  • When days are longer, full day is 8 hours and half day is available (rates had not been set).
  • Food menu has been expanded, with food prepared at Storytellers rather than Whitewater.
  • Occupancy has been increased from 6 to 10.
  • Specific cabanas can be requested, but not guaranteed.
  • 60 day advance booking.

Just back from a std view stay with 5. Got our daybed and a room close to the elevators as requested (we could have gotten a room when we checked in around 7am but we opted to wait for a better location). Security lines were never more than a few people, but we were always through by 7:00am. Much nicer this trip than my last trip but we got out much earlier this trip due to 7am EMHs. 3rd floor has a nice relaxing area, and seeing that Club 33 concierge there was kinda neat and weird at the same time. Like someone was always watching you even though all I ever heard them say was “I don’t work for the hotel” when hotel guests would ask something... so, neat but weird at the same time. And of course they’d be set up on the 3rd floor!

The underbed storage made a huge difference in space. We did not have one of the old daybed rooms, so just a normal sized room, but we did have 5 adults and still had enough space when we used the underbed storage area.

Nice stay this trip. Brought our own food and drinks for a DIY club level experience this trip and that worked nice actually. Took a photo of the fridge after I filled it to give people an idea of the fridge space and will try to upload that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter