Grand Californian Super Thread

The renovation improved the showers, with a handheld and ceiling mounted rain shower head. The water flow is good (much better than my water savers at home), but not the massive water flow found in some hotels (Vegas comes to mind).

Dapper Day rooms are standard view. You might also want to request a King bed, but let the registration CM know which is more important (view or bed type).

All the rooms at the front of the hotel are Standard View, but some are located in other areas (which do not match any upgraded types). Courtyard view look into the Brissa courtyard which the Monorail passes through. Woods view are any room that looks out at trees, often lower floors facing the park.

Free upgrades from Standard to Woods/Courtyard are quite common, based on many posts and my personal experience. Price difference is usually small, and discounts to upgraded views can sometimes make Woods/Courtyard cheaper than Standard.

Standard RED
Courtyard YELLOW
View attachment 379515
Thank you.

Had a really bad experience today with 3 different laundry cards. For some reason the cards only worked at the dvc laundry and not the napa laundry facility. I went to the front desk 3x to get a new card and all 3 cards only worked at dvc building. Finally just used my own credit card and they credited my room $10 bucks. They also gave me 4 dinner comp cards for storytellers, goofy and steakhouse.

Yikes. So I'm guessing the shower won't have any kind of pressure I'm accustomed to. That's too bad as nice showers are one thing I really look forward to in expensive hotels.

I have super thick hair I literally cannot wash in most hotels as the poor water pressure cannot rinse anything through my hair - I have NEVER had a problem at the Grand including our recent stay post renovations.

Last edited:

Is there any update as to when the pool construction will be done? It's strange it isn't listed on the Disney website.

Is there any update as to when the pool construction will be done? It's strange it isn't listed on the Disney website.
The new pool bar work might not be listed because all pools remain open.

Progress is being made on the pool bar. Underground conduits have been covered and the site is graded. Foundations and steel skeleton are being placed.
Photo from February 6:
gch_pool_6feb19.jpg

The new pool bar work might not be listed because all pools remain open.

Progress is being made on the pool bar. Underground conduits have been covered and the site is graded. Foundations and steel skeleton are being placed.
Photo from February 6:
View attachment 381905
When we were there in Oct, the pools weren't heated and the slide pool was down. Do you know if this has been fixed? We had to go to the DLH to swim it was so cold.

Does GCH CL open at 6am on 7am EMH days? I know they open at 6:30am usually but I stayed GCH CL after the Veranda opened the week before Xmas & around the time we were leaving they were talking about how they would be opening the Veranda at 6am due to 7am EMH over the Holidays. There was a lot of experimentation going on with things in the Veranda then so I’m wondering if anyone has come across 6am openings there since Xmas 2017?

Last edited:
Does GCH CL open at 6am on 7am EMH days? I know they open at 6:30am usually but I stayed GCH CL after the Veranda opened the week before Xmas & around the time we were leaving they were talking about how they would be opening the Veranda at 6am due to 7am EMH over the Holidays. There was a lot of experimentation going on with things in the Veranda then so I’m wondering if anyone has come across 6am openings there since Xmas 2017?
At Christmas is was still 630a. I will ask this weekend.

First time to DL/GCH last week with wife. Split stay in hotel and DVC. What a wonderful resort. I was super impressed with the newly refurbished hotel rooms and the DVC 1 bedroom. Access to DCA and Downtown Disney was great. Staff was the most numerous and helpful of any Disney property I,ve been on.

I love Jaime (female piano player)... She is so great, and friendly. She remembers songs you like, and if she sees you in the lobby, she will start playing it!

I love all the piano players! On my birthday trip one spotted my birthday button as I walked through the lobby and started playing happy birthday. I was exhausted and we were killing time until our room was finally ready but that put a big smile on my face.

Question about the fitness center - has anyone noticed if there is a Peloton there? It wasn't on the website but I saw it reported elsewhere that they may have added one so looking to see if anyone has seen it in there. Want to avoid my streak ending if I can while we're there in March :)

Question about the fitness center - has anyone noticed if there is a Peloton there? It wasn't on the website but I saw it reported elsewhere that they may have added one so looking to see if anyone has seen it in there. Want to avoid my streak ending if I can while we're there in March :)

Funny you should ask - there are two Peloton bikes! I can confirm this. DH was excited about this because he had been wanting to try a Peloton, so he took the opportunity one afternoon on our "break day" when staying at VGC. He really enjoyed it - but being a regular Peloton user, you probably could have guessed that he would! :)

Funny you should ask - there are two Peloton bikes! I can confirm this. DH was excited about this because he had been wanting to try a Peloton, so he took the opportunity one afternoon on our "break day" when staying at VGC. He really enjoyed it - but being a regular Peloton user, you probably could have guessed that he would! :)

Thank you thank you! I'm obsessed so I'm not surprised he liked it. My DH was joking about how he would be further in his streak than me because I'm going with his mom and he's staying home this trip but now I'll be able to keep it going while there. Maybe I shouldn't tell him this information and surprise him ha

Following this forum for my nov. stay. Do you suggest other facebook pages unofficial that offer more info. on the hotel? I haven't been in about a decade to gch. looking to get as much info. as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!