Grand Californian Super Thread

I called today to see if we could reserve since the hotels have the official go ahead to open and he told me the cabana rentals are on the same system as dining so when we see dining open that's when you can call to reserve this. He also confirmed this is what the smaller two person ones look like. Just thought I'd let you all know! :)

Fantastic news! We're a family of 4 adults, so I'm thinking 2 of the smaller options would work well - and be much cheaper than a full cabana 😊

To be honest, I’d save my money if you weren’t going to do a full cabana. The regular lounge chairs are super comfy and umbrellas provide good shade and when we’ve been there, we haven’t had problems getting four together-and you get service at the regular chairs too (and I’m a cabana fan and typically get them in Vegas).

To be honest, I’d save my money if you weren’t going to do a full cabana. The regular lounge chairs are super comfy and umbrellas provide good shade and when we’ve been there, we haven’t had problems getting four together-and you get service at the regular chairs too (and I’m a cabana fan and typically get them in Vegas).

Can you typically find lounge chairs? I guess I'm used to places where if you don't reserve a cabana, and you don't get to the pool first thing, you're not getting a lounge chair. Of course, with the new situation, who knows what it will be like.

We go every November for a week, and we have never had an issue with loungers; that said- it’s November. Not sure if people are thinking pool. We only head to the pool if it’s warm enough to enjoy, but we haven’t had an issue. Maybe summer months are different though.

Can you typically find lounge chairs? I guess I'm used to places where if you don't reserve a cabana, and you don't get to the pool first thing, you're not getting a lounge chair. Of course, with the new situation, who knows what it will be like.
Everything is unknown because Social Distancing could result in chairs being removed as they attempt to maintain 6 feet between parties.

Everything is unknown because Social Distancing could result in chairs being removed as they attempt to maintain 6 feet between parties.

This was my concern plus we’re going before DLH opens and so many guests have been moved over to the GC so I don’t wanna risk not having a comfy place to relax for our pool day. I’m looking forward to a day of sitting by the pool and eating.... and drinking. 😅

This was my concern plus we’re going before DLH opens and so many guests have been moved over to the GC so I don’t wanna risk not having a comfy place to relax for our pool day. I’m looking forward to a day of sitting by the pool and eating.... and drinking. 😅
Exactly my concern. We are dedicating a whole day to the pool as well. SO looking forward to it!!

There are tons of empty lounge chairs throughout the day and they usually have a clean folded pool towel laid on them for you.

If someone claims you are in "their chair" just move on to the next one. Repeat as needed. :thumbsup2

If you are back at the pool before about 1pm on a warm/hot day, you can find loungers. Any later and it gets a little harder or impossible.

We are planning a trip next year to Disneyland with toddlers, and we are considering staying at the Grand Californian.

I’ve read some comments that said some of the rooms are a very long walk from the hotel exits. When we book, are we able to request a room location? Are there specific wings that anyone especially prefers or would recommend? I’ve never been to this hotel, but I know at other hotels (like Grand Wailea) we are able to request specific wings If available.

As always, I greatly appreciate any advice and comments. This community is incredible, and I’ve learned so much. This will be a very expensive trip for us, and this board has really helped us think through how to get the most value and maximize the experience. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Depends if you want Downtown Disney access/then to DL or DCA access and to possible DL that way and priority on quiet

300s balances out access with action inside/great hall music
200s is quiet, but can be a distance walk to anything

Personally I like being right around the Great hall. love hanging around the Mezz landing.

We're across the street people, who are planning on staying at the Grand Californian during early 2021. Since this will be our first on-site stay, I am trying to figure out the best room type to fit our needs. I've heard certain wings of the hotel have long hallways. We're wanting to stay in an area that doesn't have too long of a walk but at the same time isn't too close so that noise from the lobby pours into the room. Which room type should I book for easiest access?

Also - are the partial view rooms really that much of a step up or should we just go with the woodland view? Any tips for room request or type selection is very much appreciated!

We've had great luck with Woods/Courtyard view and booked that more than any other. Within 10 days of arrival, call the hotel operator and ask very nicely to enter your room request in your reservation. Explain that it's your first stay. Ask for upper floor, near Napa Rose. Then plan to check in early and ask again nicely and explain you are willing to wait for the "right" room (if able). They will text you when room is ready.

Chances are good you will have "some" view of DCA, but no guarantees of course. Or you could be in the Monorail courtyard; we never have for some reason, but others may chime in on that. My thought for early 2021 is they may still have some limited hotel capacity, and/or capacity could still be down if people are not ready to travel. But that's anyone's guess. If that happens, chances of a good room go up.

I have both paid for and been upgraded to Downtown Disney view and regretted it. Unless you are really into the action and people watching, the noise and late night music can be an issue. We use white noise machine but it just can't cover it all. Have fun!

We've had great luck with Woods/Courtyard view and booked that more than any other. Within 10 days of arrival, call the hotel operator and ask very nicely to enter your room request in your reservation. Explain that it's your first stay. Ask for upper floor, near Napa Rose. Then plan to check in early and ask again nicely and explain you are willing to wait for the "right" room (if able). They will text you when room is ready.

Chances are good you will have "some" view of DCA, but no guarantees of course. Or you could be in the Monorail courtyard; we never have for some reason, but others may chime in on that. My thought for early 2021 is they may still have some limited hotel capacity, and/or capacity could still be down if people are not ready to travel. But that's anyone's guess. If that happens, chances of a good room go up.

I have both paid for and been upgraded to Downtown Disney view and regretted it. Unless you are really into the action and people watching, the noise and late night music can be an issue. We use white noise machine but it just can't cover it all. Have fun!

That is really helpful! Thank you for the info :)

We're across the street people, who are planning on staying at the Grand Californian during early 2021. Since this will be our first on-site stay, I am trying to figure out the best room type to fit our needs. I've heard certain wings of the hotel have long hallways. We're wanting to stay in an area that doesn't have too long of a walk but at the same time isn't too close so that noise from the lobby pours into the room. Which room type should I book for easiest access?

Also - are the partial view rooms really that much of a step up or should we just go with the woodland view? Any tips for room request or type selection is very much appreciated!

In terms of distance to the parks... I've stayed in the DVC Villas, which are in a seperate building connected by a breezeway, and the walk to either park was less than 5 minutes. I think anywhere in GCH you are going to be OK in terms of distance to the parks and I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

In terms of distance to the parks... I've stayed in the DVC Villas, which are in a seperate building connected by a breezeway, and the walk to either park was less than 5 minutes. I think anywhere in GCH you are going to be OK in terms of distance to the parks and I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

I thought so, too. I've read on here that some of the hallways can get long and be almost as long of a walk as staying across the street. It's hard for me to picture how that could be since it's just right there, but wanted to check here to see if any area can be requested to be closer. Good to know, though, that it really isn't that much of a difference.

I had no idea that DVC was a separate building! I guess I haven't really studied GCH that much. Quickly walked through once to meet some family who were staying in PPH, but didn't pay much attention as we were running late for rope drop :rolleyes:. Priorities, right?! lol

I thought so, too. I've read on here that some of the hallways can get long and be almost as long of a walk as staying across the street. It's hard for me to picture how that could be since it's just right there, but wanted to check here to see if any area can be requested to be closer. Good to know, though, that it really isn't that much of a difference.

I had no idea that DVC was a separate building! I guess I haven't really studied GCH that much. Quickly walked through once to meet some family who were staying in PPH, but didn't pay much attention as we were running late for rope drop :rolleyes:. Priorities, right?! lol

We usually stay 7 nights at the GCH, and 4 years ago, we were given room 5253. That is a VERY long walk, and with me having a bad hip, by the end of the day in the park the first day, I went down and pleaded to be moved to a room closer to the lobby/front entrance (stained glass door). For me, it was a difference of night and day of room locations. We were put in room 3207 for the rest of our vacation. I would suggest searching for the Grand Californian Hotel super thread and look at the hotel map. It will show you the layout and locations of rooms.
Wishing you the best vacation!

We usually stay 7 nights at the GCH, and 4 years ago, we were given room 5253. That is a VERY long walk, and with me having a bad hip, by the end of the day in the park the first day, I went down and pleaded to be moved to a room closer to the lobby/front entrance (stained glass door). For me, it was a difference of night and day of room locations. We were put in room 3207 for the rest of our vacation. I would suggest searching for the Grand Californian Hotel super thread and look at the hotel map. It will show you the layout and locations of rooms.
Wishing you the best vacation!
That is really good to know! My mom has a bad knee right now, so that would definitely do her in. Obviously there is a lot of walking in the parks, but any little bit of step savings is good. I appreciate your tips!

That is really good to know! My mom has a bad knee right now, so that would definitely do her in. Obviously there is a lot of walking in the parks, but any little bit of step savings is good. I appreciate your tips!

Here is the link to the GCH Superthread. I think I have it on the page that shows the layout of the hotel. The number of the building is the first number of the room (example - 235) and the floor is the first number of the room (example - 4235). I hope the maps help you see the layout so you can make the best reservation for your family. For me, I like staying in the rooms above the lobby, close to the entrance doors (001) because we are close to the elevators and path to DTD. It is a little walk to DCA entrance, but for standard rooms, two out of three isn't bad. There are a lot of places in this hotel and people watch, enjoy music, etc.
Have fun planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!